For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Peaking my head out of SDN hibernation to make a coupla recommendations of current bands that Heads could see live:

Garcia Peoples are obvious acolytes, but they do it incredibly well, and they've got enough creativity to qualify as much more than just a Dead knock off.

Chris Forsyth is an amazing guitar player who just released a great record. His playing owes as much to Television as it does to Jerry, but he still deserves a mention on this thread.

Also - While they're not current, if you don't know Television, you should probably stop what you're doing RIGHT NOW and spend your next ten minutes listening to Marquee Moon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Peaking my head out of SDN hibernation to make a coupla recommendations of current bands that Heads could see live:

Garcia Peoples are obvious acolytes, but they do it incredibly well, and they've got enough creativity to qualify as much more than just a Dead knock off.

Chris Forsyth is an amazing guitar player who just released a great record. His playing owes as much to Television as it does to Jerry, but he still deserves a mention on this thread.

Also - While they're not current, if you don't know Television, you should probably stop what you're doing RIGHT NOW and spend your next ten minutes listening to Marquee Moon.
Listened to Television. Not bad. How come I hadn’t heard of these guys?

On quick listen, both of those others have promise. I’ll check them out more.

Last edited:
Listened to Television. Not bad. How come I hadn’t heard of these guys?

On quick listen, both of those others have promise. I’ll check them out more.

Probably because most people will find Tom Verlaine's voice irritating. Luckily for Television, they were part of the early CBGB's punk scene (along with The Talking Heads & The Ramones) where vocal skills were definitely not a requirement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, @thegenius, you're gonna like this. Watch the band and listen. Great song, great version of Jack Straw from 8/27/72.
Then watch it again and look at everything but the band, then read the comments. You'll die. A classic in too many ways to count! Lol :laugh:

Should be government mandated viewing for all millenials.

cc: @24GaugeEJ @bearstanley & @B-Bone

That is some funny ass ****. the naked jesus-looking guy dancing on top of a pole in the background.

Jerry looks so peaceful. I don't think the diabetes kicked in yet that year.

Last edited:
Listening to 2/14/68 today and holy crap, it sounds like heavy blues-metal jamming at certain points; distortion, feedback, shredding everywhere. I've never heard this side of them before. A totally different band but fits right in there with Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Stones and the birth of blues based hard rock going on at the time. If I had heard this side of the dead 30 years ago, I probably would've become way more into their music earlier.

Reactions: 1 users
First of their albums that I bought when I was a kid were Live/Dead and Reckoning. I couldn’t believe I was listening to the same band. Hearing that electric blues in an 11/8 time signature, then moving on to To Lay Me Down and Birdsong was mind blowing.

Listening to 2/14/68 today and holy crap, it sounds like heavy blues-metal jamming at certain points; distortion, feedback, shredding everywhere. I've never heard this side of them before. A totally different band but fits right in there with Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Stones and the birth of blues based hard rock going on at the time. If I had heard this side of the dead 30 years ago, I probably would've become way more into their music earlier.

Yea it's part of their history I'm not really familiar with, don't listen to that much. They played with a lot of power back then. I listened to Eyes and Playin from 74 the other day on the way to.

Have you watched that whole Sunshine Daydream video (veneta 72?) It's in a few bits, not one entire video. I'm watching it now...man that was the time. Hot autumn day in Oregon, it was close to 100 degrees. thousands of people gathering, having fun. Not all these rules and regulations now. peaceful gathering of real hippies LOL

Also...no cellphones....god how nice would that be. Why are things in the past so appealing? +pissed+ If that concert happened today, there would be 50-100 security roaming around confiscating a variety of items; that naked, emaciated guy would never be allowed to dance on the pole; you wouldn't see any naked people having fun.

Yea it's part of their history I'm not really familiar with, don't listen to that much. They played with a lot of power back then. I listened to Eyes and Playin from 74 the other day on the way to.

Have you watched that whole Sunshine Daydream video (veneta 72?) It's in a few bits, not one entire video. I'm watching it now...man that was the time. Hot autumn day in Oregon, it was close to 100 degrees. thousands of people gathering, having fun. Not all these rules and regulations now. peaceful gathering of real hippies LOL
Haven’t seen it. Post a link and I’ll check it out

If that concert happened today, there would be 50-100 security roaming around confiscating a variety of items; that naked, emaciated guy would never be allowed to dance on the pole; you wouldn't see any naked people having fun.
Chances are, with my luck, they’d leave the raving Iggy Pop look alike to roam free and arrest the chick dancing on the lawn.

how nice would that be. Why are things in the past so appealing? .
Our brains are a wonderful thing. The filter of time makes the past much sweeter and allows us to filter out the bad.

Yea it's part of their history I'm not really familiar with, don't listen to that much. They played with a lot of power back then.
It’s like a whole different band. No comparison to that which came after. Im realizing it’s worth a long overdue deep dive.

I read on a blog from DeadHead that by 1969 there was a faction that already was over the Dead because they were “going downhill.” Because they loved that psychedelic-blues power-rock.

Last edited:
Haven’t seen it. Post a link and I’ll check it out

Damn I can't find it on YouTube. I downloaded it a few years ago from YT, but now can't seem to find it.
That sucks
I would send you my version but it's two parts and each is 400 MB

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with ya. That show is famous for having an audience recording that is considered one of the very best. Might even be better than the soundboard. Dick released part of 8/6/71 with vol. 35

I sometimes don't even feel like I have time to listen to other time periods. I spend so little time with 1971. I like the Dick's Picks releases from 71 (like 10/31/71)...who doesn't like that one. That Dark Star is just....I mean...I...how do musicians just come up with that kind of music on the fly? How can all five people play something so beautiful that isn't even a practiced song?

I'm stuck on repeat on the 6/8/74 Playin' > Wharf Rat > Playin'. Specifically the first Playin' part. It's like nothing I've heard them do before...They have an explosion like "Tiger" jam around 15:00 that usually results in a metldown..but they keep on going! They don't stop! I've listen to that particular song like 10 times this past week.

I totally agree with ya. That show is famous for having an audience recording that is considered one of the very best. Might even be better than the soundboard. Dick released part of 8/6/71 with vol. 35

I sometimes don't even feel like I have time to listen to other time periods. I spend so little time with 1971. I like the Dick's Picks releases from 71 (like 10/31/71)...who doesn't like that one. That Dark Star is just....I mean...I...how do musicians just come up with that kind of music on the fly? How can all five people play something so beautiful that isn't even a practiced song?

I'm stuck on repeat on the 6/8/74 Playin' > Wharf Rat > Playin'. Specifically the first Playin' part. It's like nothing I've heard them do before...They have an explosion like "Tiger" jam around 15:00 that usually results in a metldown..but they keep on going! They don't stop! I've listen to that particular song like 10 times this past week.
Great stuff.

Check this out (10/16/81). Rare acoustic set on borrowed instruments in tiny, smoke-filled bar in Amsterdam. Mellow, interesting, cool, coffee house, campfire-chill stuff.

Great stuff.

Check this out (10/16/81). Rare acoustic set on borrowed instruments in tiny, smoke-filled bar in Amsterdam. Mellow, interesting, cool, coffee house, campfire-chill stuff.

never thought i'd be picking up new dead shows from SDN. what a wonderful world, cheers.

Yea this has turned into a music thread more or less, and I hope that is OK. we are just off the corner here having a good time.

Maybe we can speculate what Jerry's bicarb and pH were when he was in DKA in 1986. I'm guessing 7.5, 6.92.

When was he diagnosed with diabetes anyway?

09/10/91 for its “Help On The Way>Slipknot!>Franklin’s Tower” with some jazz artists sitting in (Marsalis/Hornsby et al) who refuse to let the Dead phone it in, pushing them outside their comfort zone. Interesting, unexpected.

Last edited:
Holy crap.

06/07/69 with Janis Joplin sitting in on final track, Turn On Your Love Light. Her singing is even more unbelievable today, in light of the auto-tune assisted singing so prevalent today. Listen to her just come in there and just shred us natural. Unreal. While show & set list are cool, too. What an epic find.

And 50 years ago to the day, nonetheless!

Last edited:
Great bedtime (or toilet) reading: Robert Hunter and his memories of The Grateful Dead

Part One
Part Two
From part two, this quote is so huge for me. Hunter, “I figure it’ll be 50 years from now or longer before all the ridicule the Grateful Dead have received for being hippies and druggies melts away and they can look at the material for what it is.”

The music is so much better, so much deeper than the “Dead Head” image that got stuck to it. Honestly, I can say that at the time, I wasn’t down with the scene at all and it pushed me away from the music. Now that it’s dissolved and gone, I’m finding it much easier to see the value in the music as opposed to the image that got attached to it.

I mean, how many Deadheads ended up in the ED because they took it too far? (See what I did there)

Last edited:
From part two, this quote is so huge for me. Hunter, “I figure it’ll be 50 years from now or longer before all the ridicule the Grateful Dead have received for being hippies and druggies melts away and they can look at the material for what it is.”

The music is so much better, so much deeper than the “Dead Head” image that got stuck to it. Honestly, I can say that at the time, I wasn’t down with the scene at all and it pushed me away from the music. Now that it’s dissolved and gone, I’m finding it much easier to see the value in the music as opposed to the image that got attached to it.

I mean, how many Deadheads ended up in the ED because they took it too far? (See what I did there)
That scene, and the following "Jam Band" phenomenon (Phish, Blues Traveler, Widespread Panic, ad nauseum) is what pushed me away from the Dead "back in the day" (I suspect we're close to the same age) and still do. But there are times that I hear a song I'm not familiar with playing somewhere, enjoy it and then Shazam it, only to discover it's a Dead song. I should probably give them more of a shot.

The same thing has happened to me with a fair amount of 70s and early 80s metal (think Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, etc...the hair bands still suck). I was turned off of them at the time because of the associated "scene" that I definitely didn't feel a part of or interested in being a part of. But now that I can listen to them without immediately thinking about torn muscle shirts and fro-mullets, I really enjoy a lot of it. Some of this came from listening to (and enjoying) the modern day descendants of these bands (Mastodon, Sleep, Gaytheist), which is what differentiates it from the modern day descendants of the Dead for me.

That scene, and the following "Jam Band" phenomenon (Phish, Blues Traveler, Widespread Panic, ad nauseum) is what pushed me away from the Dead "back in the day" (I suspect we're close to the same age) and still do. But there are times that I hear a song I'm not familiar with playing somewhere, enjoy it and then Shazam it, only to discover it's a Dead song. I should probably give them more of a shot.

The same thing has happened to me with a fair amount of 70s and early 80s metal (think Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, etc...the hair bands still suck). I was turned off of them at the time because of the associated "scene" that I definitely didn't feel a part of or interested in being a part of. But now that I can listen to them without immediately thinking about torn muscle shirts and fro-mullets, I really enjoy a lot of it. Some of this came from listening to (and enjoying) the modern day descendants of these bands (Mastodon, Sleep, Gaytheist), which is what differentiates it from the modern day descendants of the Dead for me.
That’s exactly it.

So funny you mentioned heavy metal. I used to love heavy metal like Iron Maiden. I used to collect bootlegs from Maiden shows. During this time I hated all other kinds of music.

Can't get much opposite to the Dead. Although I still occasionally play Powerslave or Somewhere In Time. Great albums!

So funny you mentioned heavy metal. I used to love heavy metal like Iron Maiden. I used to collect bootlegs from Maiden shows. During this time I hated all other kinds of music.

Can't get much opposite to the Dead. Although I still occasionally play Powerslave or Somewhere In Time. Great albums!
Live After Death is a great album.

"Maiden!" (up go the index and little fingers and down with the middle and ring; remember that?! Lol)

That's another band that had kinda an intense (dare I say "intimidating") scene associated with them, at the time. The scene made the music seems real scary, and the heavy metal seem deathly heavy. Maybe it was the album covers which looked something like a horror movie, the lyrical themes or the attitude. But you go back and listen and they are really just hard rock records. And some of them very good ones. But with all the truly dark, extreme-heavy metal that's come along since then, bands like this seem a lot more tame now, and the music more accessible.

Last edited:
Iron Maiden is far and away different from other "garden variety" metal of the age.

I get it. I get it. "Deeeth and skullz and devil and devil and devil."

Nope. That's not Iron Maiden.

Edit: Moved to other thread

Last edited:
Holy crap.

06/07/69 with Janis Joplin sitting in on final track, Turn On Your Love Light. Her singing is even more unbelievable today, in light of the auto-tune assisted singing so prevalent today. Listen to her just come in there and just shred us natural. Unreal. While show & set list are cool, too. What an epic find.

And 50 years ago to the day, nonetheless!

I've never heard this...just listened to it. Very raw, primal. She sounds so happy (and drunk.)

I had a couple that were pretty sure they were actually having sex under the sheet in an ED hallway bed, but by the time we got to them they had stopped enough that we didn't really have the energy to kick them out over it. It's pretty hard to imagine you're coding or septic if you're doin' the nasty in an ED hold bed under a sheet. In fact, it guarantees you'll outlive everyone else with a supra-invertebrate brain and not infested with such epic skull--ckery.

Only in the ED can you do this kind of stuff and people blow it off, like, Damn, its 4 am, this place is such a ---ing circus and this is not even the most insane thing I've scene this shift let alone month. I'm too tired to make a big deal out of this malarky. "Just take your discharge instructions and get out. Get out!" Now imagine someone does this in a primary care office, a restaurant or Costco. Police would be painfully hog-tying them within minutes and throwing them in the back of the paddy wagon, with no remorse. No way anyone else other than the ED would put of with this level of bovine scatology.

You have to move this response to the other thread!!! LOL

Now imagine someone does this in a primary care office, a restaurant or Costco. Police would be painfully hog-tying them within minutes and throwing them in the back of the paddy wagon, with no remorse. No way anyone else other than the ED would put of with this level of bovine scatology.

If this happens anywhere else but the ED...there is a 50% chance they come to the ED for medical clearance before going to jail!!!

Live After Death is a great album.

"Maiden!" (up go the index and little fingers and down with the middle and ring; remember that?! Lol)

Up The Irons!!
Run To The Hills!!

I think they make this as a t-shirt...

4146612427dd540e99e3e5820e9ff335.jpg

That's another band that had kinda an intense (dare I say "intimidating") scene associated with them, at the time. The scene made the music seems real scary, and the heavy metal seem deathly heavy. Maybe it was the album covers which looked something like a horror movie, the lyrical themes or the attitude. But you go back and listen and they are really just hard rock records. And some of them very good ones. But with all the truly dark, extreme-heavy metal that's come along since then, bands like this seem a lot more tame now, and the music more accessible.

Maiden are a bunch of straight dudes. They drink beer but that's it. They don't do drugs, they don't do anything bad. They sing about concepts other than standard heavy metal crap. They tell stories. I always appreciated them more than Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Ratt, Metal Church, and others.

Dude this is a good thread. It's a nice escape from the 4 dental pains, 3 weakness, 4 pediatric fevers, 3 stomach aches, 2 excessive farting and gas, 1 dislodged G Tube, and the meth cardiac arrest that won't die and you tube/line and send to the ICU.

Up The Irons!!
Run To The Hills!!

I think they make this as a t-shirt...

4146612427dd540e99e3e5820e9ff335.jpg

Maiden are a bunch of straight dudes. They drink beer but that's it. They don't do drugs, they don't do anything bad. They sing about concepts other than standard heavy metal crap. They tell stories. I always appreciated them more than Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Ratt, Metal Church, and others.

Dude this is a good thread. It's a nice escape from the 4 dental pains, 3 weakness, 4 pediatric fevers, 3 stomach aches, 2 excessive farting and gas, 1 dislodged G Tube, and the meth cardiac arrest that won't die and you tube/line and send to the ICU.
Only two “excessive farting and gas”?
That’s a good shift.

I remember a "Behind the Music" on VH1 (remember those?!) with the lead singer of Iron Maiden responding to criticisms from TurboChristian mothers out there (I had one of those... still mad that she threw out "Sixteen Stone") that were calling their music "Satanic" and such.

"Listen... we're having a laugh. Don't take us too seriously, because we don't either. NOBODY is 'bringing their daughter to the slaughter'. Now stop it, you sound foolish."

I have had a run of 5 or so adult patients that don't understand that benadryl should be given for simple hives/urticaria. They look at me with their mouths open when I say: "Yep. Hives. Go home and take 2 benadryl". They're like: "that's all I get?"

Yep. Its all you need.

Why is it not taught in high school health classes that "fevers get tylenol", "hives get benadryl", "simple injuries get ibuprofen"?
Instead, they teach weeks of "38 genders is normal, and be nice to *individuals* who might be attracted to lightbulbs; they probably identify as insects".

You all wanna know what is right in this world? All it takes is about 15 minutes of your undivided time.

An uplifting, ephemeral, and calming Spanish Jam > Eyes Of The World from
7/19/1974 - Selland Arena, Fresno, CA

The link takes you directly to the music. I recommend that you remove distraction, lay down, play it medium-to-high on your device, and enjoy. Jerry will make you happy to be a human being as he wraps up Spanish Jam and enters Eyes.

The world is right my friends, the world is OK.

03/18/67

Lots of rare songs here. Dirty, back alley jamming. If you don’t think Jerry Garcia was a great guitar player listen to Viola Lee Blues and this whole show.

Classic primal stuff, completely and wonderfully different than what the Dead are known for. Some of this stuff would be at home at a Clapton, Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn concert. Great show, especially for people that like rock and hate what they’ve heard of the Dead. I guarantee you, they haven’t heard this. And if they do, they’ll like it.

Jam this in the background on a night shift. Don’t tell anyone who it is. After you get a few of, “This is cool. Who is it?”

Then, tell them.

Minds blown. Click date, listen free.

Last edited:
I'm listening to it right now, I just put it on. I don't really listen to them this early on.

Yea primal is right.

"Yaaa oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh Smokestack Lightnin!!!!"

I'm listening to it right now, I just put it on. I don't really listen to them this early on.

Yea primal is right.

"Yaaa oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh Smokestack Lightnin!!!!"
Pretty good, isn't it?
DIfferent, but good.

Can't decide what my favorite era is yet. '67-'77 has so much good stuff in it, it's hard to choose a favorite.

Pretty good, isn't it?
DIfferent, but good.

Can't decide what my favorite era is yet. '67-'77 has so much good stuff in it, it's hard to choose a favorite.

You know man...I can't say that I really like it. There are some nice parts but it collected dust in my collection for a reason. It is fun to hear completely different renditions of some classics though like Dancin', Cold Rain and Snow (I wish we had some of that in Northern California right now, it's friggin hot > 100 F near the coast and > 110 F inland) and Morning Dew.

Death Don't Have No Mercy is special. Always.

I've been listening to these guys for 15-17 years. I only know 1977, 1973 and 1974 well. I'm now getting to know 1972 well and that has taken me 4 months of listening to it almost every day. You start to notice nuances in the years, along with them putting out new songs. They came out with Eyes, China Doll, Wave That Flag / US Blues, and Let It Grow in 1973 (along with others)....so I'll usually always go with a 1973 show over 1972. Some of the spacey psychedelic stuff like Dark Star and The Other One really started to take off in 1972...for instance you could randomly choose a Europe 72 show and it's phenomenal.

Truckin in 1972 started going about 10-12 minutes and they introduced good jamming at the end of it. In 1973 they really started to stretch it and paired it with other songs other than The Other One. And in 1974 it was the supreme jamming vehicle. They really did some great stuff with it that year. Some examples that come to mind are 5/17, 6/16, 6/26.

There is so much. It's such a blessing. It sounds stupid and hokey, but that's how I feel.

You know man...I can't say that I really like it. There are some nice parts but it collected dust in my collection for a reason. It is fun to hear completely different renditions of some classics though like Dancin', Cold Rain and Snow (I wish we had some of that in Northern California right now, it's friggin hot > 100 F near the coast and > 110 F inland) and Morning Dew.

Death Don't Have No Mercy is special. Always.

I've been listening to these guys for 15-17 years. I only know 1977, 1973 and 1974 well. I'm now getting to know 1972 well and that has taken me 4 months of listening to it almost every day. You start to notice nuances in the years, along with them putting out new songs. They came out with Eyes, China Doll, Wave That Flag / US Blues, and Let It Grow in 1973 (along with others)....so I'll usually always go with a 1973 show over 1972. Some of the spacey psychedelic stuff like Dark Star and The Other One really started to take off in 1972...for instance you could randomly choose a Europe 72 show and it's phenomenal.

Truckin in 1972 started going about 10-12 minutes and they introduced good jamming at the end of it. In 1973 they really started to stretch it and paired it with other songs other than The Other One. And in 1974 it was the supreme jamming vehicle. They really did some great stuff with it that year. Some examples that come to mind are 5/17, 6/16, 6/26.

There is so much. It's such a blessing. It sounds stupid and hokey, but that's how I feel.
I like heavy rockin’ psychedelic guitar like that.

I guess technically, I’ve “listened” to the Dead for about 30 years. But honestly, I probably didn’t really listen to the Dead, until you started this thread and told me about Relisten and Archive. So I still count myself as a novice on this stuff. But I’ve probably listened to them more since you started this thread, than I had in the previous 30 years mainly because of access, and on my procedure days, it’s 8 hours of music listening time anyways. I never knew any Deadheads that shared tapes in the past. Now there’s no need.

I think the sweet spot might be somewhere between ‘70, when American Beauty & Working Man’s Dead came out and before Pigpen bowed out in ‘72. Great mix of the rawness of youth, combined with the peaking of playing ability and songwriting.

On the other hand, most everything I’ve listened to during ‘73 into ‘74 is great, too. But that booming voice of Pigpen is missed, which is why I hesitate.

Plus, that Cornell show from ‘77 and others that year sound as good as advertised. So, I don’t know. I’m just gonna keep listening, until I know their stuff as well as I know all my other faves.

But I’m still new at this, so I can’t say for sure yet. Still more listening to do.

It’s all part of late ‘60s through mid ‘70s Rock which is the greatest musical era of all time, in my opinion (a few flashes of greatness in the ‘80s, early ‘90s and early 2000’s [barely], notwithstanding). Even though the late ‘80s and ‘90s were more my generation, the ‘60s & ‘70s stuff just sounds better to me, with the passage of time. I don’t know why. I just think it’s better. A Golden Age of musical creativity.

Like you said: Blessed to have this great music. Blessed to be alive.

Last edited:
Here's a phenomenal Jack Straw, 07/24/1987. The guitar playing goes Galactic.

I like heavy rockin’ psychedelic guitar like that.

I guess technically, I’ve “listened” to the Dead for about 30 years. But honestly, I probably didn’t really listen to the Dead, until you started this thread and told me about Relisten and Archive. So I still count myself as a novice on this stuff. But I’ve probably listened to them more since you started this thread, than I had in the previous 30 years mainly because of access, and on my procedure days, it’s 8 hours of music listening time anyways. I never knew any Deadheads that shared tapes in the past. Now there’s no need.

I think the sweet spot might be somewhere between ‘70, when American Beauty & Working Man’s Dead came out and before Pigpen bowed out in ‘72. Great mix of the rawness of youth, combined with the peaking of playing ability and songwriting.

On the other hand, most everything I’ve listened to during ‘73 into ‘74 is great, too. But that booming voice of Pigpen is missed, which is why I hesitate.

Plus, that Cornell show from ‘77 and others that year sound as good as advertised. So, I don’t know. I’m just gonna keep listening, until I know their stuff as well as I know all my other faves.

But I’m still new at this, so I can’t say for sure yet. Still more listening to do.

It’s all part of late ‘60s through mid ‘70s Rock which is the greatest musical era of all time, in my opinion (a few flashes of greatness in the ‘80s, early ‘90s and early 2000’s [barely], notwithstanding). Even though the late ‘80s and ‘90s were more my generation, the ‘60s & ‘70s stuff just sounds better to me, with the passage of time. I don’t know why. I just think it’s better. A Golden Age of musical creativity.

Like you said: Blessed to have this great music. Blessed to be alive.

That said, guitar rock doesn't get much more heavy or psychedelic than the Dead's contemporaries The 13th Floor Elevators.

We lost their guiding force, Rocky Erikson, last week - he was 71. This fantastic documentary on his life was released 9 years ago. Then he put out a couple more critically acclaimed records...

That said, guitar rock doesn't get much more heavy or psychedelic than the Dead's contemporaries The 13th Floor Elevators.

We lost their guiding force, Rocky Erikson, last week - he was 71. This fantastic documentary on his life was released 9 years ago. Then he put out a couple more critically acclaimed records...

Who are these cats? I'm watching that video right now. It sounds like they have a bird making bird sounds through the entire thing (that's aint' bad...BTW). I've never even heard of these guys.

There was an associated YouTube Video called "5 Hours of Relaxing Psychedelic Space Rock" associated with the 13th Floor Elevators.

The songs within this 5 hour extravaganza are
01. Ditch - One Way Trip to the Sun [00:00]
http://www.ditch-band.nl

02. Spaceslug - Proton Lander [05:59]
https://spaceslug.bandcamp.com

03. Tangerine Stoned - L'Urlo della Strega [13:47]
https://tangerine-stoned.bandcamp.com

04. Ahkmed - T = 0 [24:50]
https://ahkmed.bandcamp.com

05. Weedpecker - Already Gone [32:25]
https://weedpecker.bandcamp.com

06. Farflung - Silver Shrooms [37:16]
https://farflung.bandcamp.com

07. Hollow Mirrors - Sliding Under And Slipping Away [42:40]
https://hollowmirrors.bandcamp.com

08. Cartographer - 17:04 - Now Yours, Not Ours, Not Mine [47:48]
https://cartographer013.bandcamp.com

09. Öken - Under Vår Sol (Under our Sun) [56:24]
http://oziumrecords.com/product/öken-...

10. Los Natas - Nadha [1:07:16]
http://www.natasrock.com

11. The Machine - Infinite [1:10:16]
http://www.themachineweb.com

12. Ampacity - Asimov's Sideburns [1:16:27]
https://ampacity.bandcamp.com

13. Landskap - My Cabin In The Woods [1:26:14]
https://landskap.bandcamp.com

14. The Kings of Frog Island - Welcome to the Void [1:29:07]
http://alturl.com/hz9bg

15. Sun Blood Stories - Misery is Nebulous [1:37:20]
https://sunbloodstories.bandcamp.com

16. Quest For Fire - You Are Always Loved [1:44:16]
http://alturl.com/znz6j

17. Stoned Cobra - She Burns [1:51:56]
https://stonedcobra.bandcamp.com

18. Truckfighters - Altered State [1:56:23]
http://www.truckfighters.com

19. Mirovia - Enter Rodinia [2:04:45]
https://mirovia1.bandcamp.com

20. Maha Sohona - Asteroids Part 1: Aftermath [2:10:14]
https://mahasohona.bandcamp.com

21. The Whirlings - Lagrange Points [2:16:06]
https://thewhirlings1.bandcamp.com

22. Causa Sui - Eternal Flow [2:24:21]
http://elparaisorecords.com/artists/c...

23. Fluidage - I Ride The Weed Harvester Through Mars Pt.I - The Arrival [2:33:16]
https://fluidage.bandcamp.com

24. Buddha Sentenza - Black Coal Funeral [2:45:32]
https://buddhasentenza.bandcamp.com

25. Arenna - Eclipse [2:51:14]
https://arenna.bandcamp.com

26. Temple of the Smoke - Beyond the Wall of Sleep [3:02:57]
https://templeofthesmoke.bandcamp.com

27. Pharaoh Overlord - Mystery Shopper [3:08:30]
https://pharaohoverlord.bandcamp.com

28. Krobak - Marching for the Freedom We Have Lost [3:18:52]
https://krobak.bandcamp.com

29. Föllakzoid - 99 [3:29:07]
https://follakzoid.bandcamp.com

30. 1000mods - Valley of Sand [3:38:13]
https://1000mods.bandcamp.com

31. Het Droste Effect - 't Silveren Seepaerd [3:54:57]
https://hetdrosteeffect.bandcamp.com

32. Colour Haze - Turns [3:59:35]
http://www.colourhaze.de

33. Shooting Guns - Go Blind [4:04:38]
https://shootingguns.bandcamp.com

34. Henryspenncer - Nebula [4:10:47]
https://henryspenncer.bandcamp.com

35. Kyuss - Space Cadet [4:19:38]
https://www.amazon.com/Kyuss/e/B000AP...

36. Mars Red Sky - Saddle Point [4:26:56]
http://www.marsredsky.net

37. 35007 - Suave [4:30:49]
http://www.dse.nl/~drie5007

38. Comet Control - Master [4:35:44]
https://cometcontrol.bandcamp.com

39. Martian Love - Theme Of The Universe [4:40:34]
https://martianlovemusic.bandcamp.com

40. The Re-Stoned - Sleeping World [4:44:36]
https://re-stoned.bandcamp.com

41. Sonora Ritual - Farewell [4:49:40]
http://sonoraritual.bandcamp.com

420. Skraeckoedlan - Epilog [4:53:33]
http://www.skraeckoedlan.com

I've never heard of any of these bands. I'm listening to the first one. It sounds kind of cool actually. If I had nothing to do, had no repercussions about doing shrooms, I would do one and listen to this compilation on repeat for 15 hours.