For someone who has no hope of matching into integrative/co-ordinated plastics..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovelamp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that I am a fourth year, I'm starting to realize I really like surgery and really enjoyed my time on the plastics service at my hospital. Now I have a very tiny chance of matching into plastics directly as my step 1 is only 228. But my question is this. My home program has a co-ordinated (I think thats the one where you are considered a gen surg resident for the first 3 years) program. Is trying to go into general surgery for 3 years and then trying to transfer into that program a feasible thing? I know it probably sounds nuts, but I figured I would ask.
Thanks
Lamp

Members don't see this ad.

what are the other options, if any?

So now that I am a fourth year, I'm starting to realize I really like surgery and really enjoyed my time on the plastics service at my hospital. Now I have a very tiny chance of matching into plastics directly as my step 1 is only 228. But my question is this. My home program has a co-ordinated (I think thats the one where you are considered a gen surg resident for the first 3 years) program. Is trying to go into general surgery for 3 years and then trying to transfer into that program a feasible thing? I know it probably sounds nuts, but I figured I would ask.
Thanks
Lamp

To be able to "transfer" that program would have to have a spot for you - ie, a resident left/was fired/died, etc. What is the attrition rate? I'm sure that's something you can get from the department but I'd venture its pretty low.

Residency is not like medical school - there are only a certain number of funded spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the other options, if any?

I echo this sentiment.

Trying to match into a plastics program at the same institution after three years of general surgery has only slightly better odds than winning the Powerball. It's not impossible, but unlikely enough that you should have other plans if you really want to do plastics.

I think you should still apply for some plastics interviews because you never really know what's going to happen. Every year we get applicants with great scores (one this past year had a 280....I didn't even know you could score that high) that don't interview well. Either that, or their personalities wouldn't fit with our program. And we get those that without great scores but did a lot of other things (research, mission trips, community service, etc.) who interview well and are generally someone we would like to work with for 6 years. That being said, none of this guarantees anything. Some really good applicants will go unmatched for various reasons.

If plastics (or surgery in general) is in your heart, then you will need a surgical residency back up plan. Doing surgery at a program that has plastics is good for making connections, maybe getting involved with some clinical research, and generally showing that you really can be a great resident. You might get lucky and hit the lottery if someone gets fired from the plastics program or quits, but again, don't bet money on it. But what really helps is that you will be a known quantity for applications in the independent match. I've written about this many times before so you can search the threads for more info.

The backup to straight plastics is probably gen surg and then do a plastics fellowship after that. Some fellowships only require 3 years of gen surg of their applicants so you could aim for those schools so you dont necessarily have to do 5 plus the 2-3 fellowship.