Evaluating top plastic surgeons who specialize in reconstruction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thistime

Reaction score
I was discussing with a friend about this the other day about how many plastic surgeons who have the most recognizable names in the field usually specialize in cosmetic procedures rather than reconstructive ones, which makes sense as they are the most lucrative/in-demand. NewsWeek for example has rankings on the most well-regarded plastic surgeons based on categories of cosmetic procedures only. This makes it difficult to determine who would be good at doing reconstruction specifically. I am very interested in leaders in reconstructive surgery in the United States, especially California. These are particularly inspirational people even if they are not paid as well as some Beverly Hills plastic surgeon. How can I identify these people (or organizations)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was discussing with a friend about this the other day about how many plastic surgeons who have the most recognizable names in the field usually specialize in cosmetic procedures rather than reconstructive ones, which makes sense as they are the most lucrative/in-demand. NewsWeek for example has rankings on the most well-regarded plastic surgeons based on categories of cosmetic procedures only. This makes it difficult to determine who would be good at doing reconstruction specifically. I am very interested in leaders in reconstructive surgery in the United States, especially California. These are particularly inspirational people even if they are not paid as well as some Beverly Hills plastic surgeon. How can I identify these people (or organizations)?
Look for those working for academic or tertiary referral centers. Look for PI on reconstructive journals and major conferences.

Go on PubMed (Google 'Entrez PubMed') and start searching for articles pertaining to a particular reconstructive surgery topic in our white journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. The mast head of PRS includes the names of some of the best-known reconstructive surgeons in the United States and beyond (one of them is my best friend!).

Also look up the faculty for individual academic residency programs and read their bios. From there you can look into their publications and research and come to your own conclusions.