Figures Show Demand for MBAs Down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whodathunkit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I interpret this? I hear alot from people, telling me that getting an MBA is useless. That what I would really want to know I could pick up in choice university classes without going so much in debt. Is the MBA really worth getting in this age, does it really matter?

Figures Show Demand for MBAs Down

By JUSTIN POPE, AP Education Writer

Is business school losing its buzz? After a golden era for the MBA degree, new figures show demand for the traditional, two-year master's of business administration program is slumping.

More than three-quarters of programs responding to a recent Graduate Management Admission Council survey reported their applications declined last year. More remarkably, 41 percent reported their applications were down more than 20 percent.

The GMAC, a business schools organization, thinks total applications to business schools were flat or down only slightly. But that figure can be misleading because students can apply to many schools.

A better indication of student interest may be the GMAT, the standardized test for business school admission. As of June 30, 7 percent fewer GMAT tests had been taken compared to last year, and the figure is down more than 25 percent compared to the record year of 2002.

The good news for business schools is that interest in their often more-profitable executive MBA degrees ? shorter programs for older students who continue working ? is strong. More than half of those programs reported an increase in applications.

Still, two-year MBA programs remain the primary focus of many business schools. Wharton and Harvard may never have to worry about filling classrooms, but other schools that saw MBA programs as a cash cow and rushed to grow them might.

During the 1990s, business schools were hot as many sought training to ride the Internet wave. They also flourished during the bust, as many people viewed business school as an agreeable way to sit out the economic downturn then return to the job market with a better credential.

Now, the GMAC ascribes much of the decline in interest to the improving economy. Daphne Atkinson, GMAC's vice president of industry relations, said interest is returning to historical norms, and people are more likely to be choosing an MBA because it will help, not because they can't find a job.

"There was some flow into the pipeline driven by some serious externalities: people looking for options in the wake of a meltdown in the economy," she said.

But the numbers also reflect other challenges. GMAT numbers are down more among foreign students than U.S. test-takers, with interest from China and India fading in particular.

That may reflect worries about visa restrictions that have affected almost all of American higher education, not just MBA programs. But more troublingly, it may show international students are finding preferable alternatives overseas, threatening America's position as the leader in management education.

"There's no question that over the last decade places like INSEAD (with campuses in France and Singapore), London Business School, ESADE in Spain have become much more part of the places you would consider going to get an MBA," said Jeffrey Pfeffer, a professor at Stanford's Graduate School of Business. Atkinson said the real change is that Chinese and Indian students are finding better job options, and now even quality MBA programs, in their home countries.

But Pfeffer also says the numbers likely reflect growing skepticism about the value of an MBA ? an argument he has made in a number of academic papers. It's also the topic of a new book by McGill University professor Henry Mintzberg which has received widespread attention in the field.

"I think people are becoming more skeptical about this," said Pfeffer. "It's been in the wind for a long time, the fact that unless you get an MBA from a really top-notch school, the value is not clear."

He also noted MBAs are becoming more expensive. Finishing a two-year degree can cost students $100,000 or more.

Atkinson maintains the degree is still valuable. The latest survey reports no decline in applicant quality, and in the group's most recent MBA graduate survey, 60 percent described the value of their degree as "outstanding" or "excellent" and another 28 percent called it "good."

Members don't see this ad.

interesting article. the fact that the demand for MBAs has been down the last few years is obviously due to the crappy economy in this time period. these things are cyclic. the economy is starting to pick up, so u can expect to see an increase in the applications for MBA programs in the next few years. overall, an MBA is still a good investment. whether you need it for career goals, depends on what u want to do.

I read that article on the web also, and I do agree with most of the implications. An MBA ALONE is pretty useless in this country. With an MBA alone, even in a rip roaring economy, you won't necessarily have an advantage in the job market. There's just honestly too many MBA's in the market. However, I strongly strongly stronly believe that an expertise in a field outside of the business world (computer science, engineering, healthcare) combined with the strong business sense will help immensely in our increasingly sophisticed economy. I'm at the University of Chicago MBA program, and surprising most of the students in my class have either engineering/comp. scie backgrounds. They're taking what they know, and applying the business principles they learn at school, to further advance their field. Its pretty amazing.. Hope this helps..

rgarg3

Members don't see this ad :)
rgarg3 said:
I read that article on the web also, and I do agree with most of the implications. An MBA ALONE is pretty useless in this country. With an MBA alone, even in a rip roaring economy, you won't necessarily have an advantage in the job market. There's just honestly too many MBA's in the market. However, I strongly strongly stronly believe that an expertise in a field outside of the business world (computer science, engineering, healthcare) combined with the strong business understanding will help immensely in our increasingly sophisticed economy. I'm at the University of Chicago MBA program, and surprising most of the students in my class have either engineering/comp. scie backgrounds. They're taking what they know, and applying the business principles they learn at school, to further advance their field. Its pretty amazing.. Hope this helps..

rgarg3

just curious, do u have an MD, or are u in an MD/MBA program?

I agree with rgarg3 about the usefulness of the MBA without a solid technical (anything other than business) background. However, the MBA does offer infinite possibilities when combined appropriately.

For MD/MBAs from my experience, it is the MD/medical part that most entities are interested in or find fascinating thus, I'd recommend maximizing this by doing a residency (not applicable if you truly hate medicine or have no interest in practicing) and have your MBA supplement this. This is what even regular MBAs do, they supplement their technical career with an MBA or simply want it to get to the next level. ALOT of my classmates with business background thought that the education part of the MBA was useless but many were coming from banking and consulting which you now need a graduate degree (this is where the MBA fits in for them) to get from analyst to associate.

In my opinion, there are only a few graduate degrees that can define a person and/or a career, the MBA is just not one of them.

does it matter which MD residency u do to make ur MBA look more attractive?

obviously it depends on what u want to do with ur combined MD/MBA.

but if u r looking for a consulting or non-clinical position, is an OB/GYN, Psychiatry or Anesthesiology Residency just as marketable with an MBA as doing an Internal Medicine or Family Practice Residency?

Any thoughts?

I personally think you're going about this all wrong. An MD alone is pretty marketable. You don't see many MD's unemployed (at least not yet). As far as healthcare admin, I know many MD's who have actually entered into a more admistrative position without having any formal business education training. Before you go about trying to get an MBA along side your MD, I think you really need to figure out what you want to do in life, and do it. Forget about this whole marketability stuff. You are unique, and you can market yourself anyway you can. Wall Street is looking for ideas. Whether they come from an idiot or a ob/gyn doesn't matter. Personally, one of my goals in life has been to really understand why healthcare is so expensive in this country. A one night stay at most hospitals cost 3-4 times as much as a one night stay at any 5 star resort, with butlers . Its been a mindbuster for me. And so I want to learn clinical medicine, but also learn about "business medicine" through the MBA program. I see myself in the future either in healthcare insurance or hospital managment, and I think the MD/MBA both contribute to my goal.

Hope this helps..
rgarg3

rgarg3,

thanks for the reply. it was helpful.

Rgarg3, I think you raise an excellent point. Too often these days many people obsess about degrees (esp joint ones, like the MD/MBA) without really understanding why they want it. An MBA next to an MD, compared to someone who is simply smart and puts forth good ideas, pales in comparison. Having extra letters after your name does no value addition, except to make you look better on paper. I agree, this "marketability" is worthless. Focus on your interests, instead of making time-consuming and expensive investments in titles you do not need.

think of it this way: truly successful people succeed because they were going to anyway, not because they attended program X and got degree Y.

:)

No one truly knows what the value of the "MD/MBA" is. Mostly because no one knows what the value of the MBA is. You will read many articles that most CEOs don't have an MBA. Compounding this, is the fact that the MD/MBA is a relatively new construct. We are all in the forefront of this "thing" so there is no wealth of information to access and learn from. This for me is exciting. For some, might be unsettling.

I think one thing that we, medical students/physicians, are not used to is having a career option that is very open-ended. That's probably one of the reasons we are in medicine. Business folks are more comfortable with this ambiguity.

In all honesty, do I wake up some days wondering if I made the right decision to get an MBA? Yes.

Does this feeling persist? No.

Do I know for sure what I want to do with the MBA? No.

Do I have ideas? Yes.

All I know is, I'll do residency and experience it through the lens of a physician-manager and let serendipity do the rest!

At this point, one has to be comfortable with the uncertainty.

I'm relatively new on this site, and so I really haven't met the regulars.

orthomdmba, xmulder- where you guys from, where have you done/doing your MBA/MD?

Just in case you didn't read above, I just graduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) in May. I've been part time MBA at the University of Chicago during the summer, and will start medical school in the fall at Rush Medical School also in Chicago.

Nice to meet all of you :)

rgarg3

There are so many career options open to MDs, MBAs and MD/MBAs that any generalization is really not useful. It will depend almost entirely on what are your interests - consulting, vc, med management, private practice, etc. They're all very different and have discrete paths of entry (with some overlap, of course) and career paths.

The MBA is a great vocabulary and contact builer, other than that it's useful only in being able to look at problems in a very different framework than the "typical" MD (again, realizing this is a generalization). As to whether it's worth the dough, I'd suggest trying to get a scholarship. ;) (they are out there - personal experience).

Of course, most places will hire an MD for a business position if the person fits their desired characteristics. It's all about figuring out what you want and positioning yourself for it.

Which degrees? Get the ones that are the most fun to do, not what you think is the most marketable. If I had to do it over, I'd get a few fewer. :)

P

Hi, you said:

"Personally, one of my goals in life has been to really understand why healthcare is so expensive in this country. A one night stay at most hospitals cost 3-4 times as much as a one night stay at any 5 star resort, with butlers . Its been a mindbuster for me."

Imagine that you're staying at Hilton Hospital. You get automatic room service at 4 AM (blood draw). This person gets paid 35-45000. Your blood goes to the lab, where more people, usually with degrees in something, measure it for sodium, cell counts. Each of these tests costs about 40 bucks. Then you get another automatic visit from your doctor, who gets paid fairly well, and who charges about 40 to 150 bucks to see you. He wants you to get an X-ray of your foot, which you hurt on your way to the bathroom last night. Radiology runs a monopoly from this hospital. Film costs 50 bucks, reading another 50. You're also paying for the people who keep the machines running smoothly, the next machine, and the radiology secretaries. The guy who took you downstairs gets paid 10 dollars an hour, more if union.

Your toe begins to really hurt, so you call your nurse. The unit secretary puts you on hold, she takes in 15 dollars an hour, more if she's union. She gets your nurse, who is in charge of 4-5 patients and is at her wits end, getting paid 30-40 dollars an hour to attend to your every need. There are nursing administrators you pay for who make sure everything runs smoothly and that you get your tylenol on time.

Your toe isn't broken, but the minimal trauma set off your gout. You need medication. That costs more. The pharmacist makes big bucks. We haven't even fed you yet. Or cleaned your room. Or talked about the people who need to stay in the hospital in case you stop breathing.

Oh yeah, when you leave, the hospital needs to get paid. A person goes through your chart and documents your diagnosis, procedures, and bills your insurance company. That person has a boss and support staff. Their department needs 5 more fax/copy machines.

It's a big problem. Healthcare is terrible in this country when compared to costs. Noncompetition has a lot to do with it. The radiology department doesn't compete with any other. Administrative costs. Each part of the hospital has these HUGE departments filled with secretaries and upper level mgmt people who do a terrific job in making sure things run smoothly.