Not so Highly Ranked MBAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thamsenman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you do them with or without the MD?

Here's the story of a Pepperdine MBA student who called his own graduate degree "crap on a triscuit".
http://www.deadbrain.com/news/article_2005_05_09_2255.php

"While most graduates are busy polishing their shoes and figuring out h
ow to repay student loans, Tim Johnson is taking his alma mater to court. In documents filed this week, Mr. Johnson claims that Pepperdine University in Los Angeles, California "took [his] money and left [him] with an education amounting to crap on a Triscuit."

Is important to go to a top MBA program or will the MD be evidence that you are intelligent enough?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on what you want to make out of it....imo if you are gonna stay in the healthfield and dont want to go into the consulting business, a top notch mba is not necessary. i mean it wont hurt, but i dont think its necessary if you want to be a admin person at a 150-200 bed hospital

its what you make out of it, the contacts you make, and how much you are motivated

imo md + any accredited mba program = good combo

Members don't see this ad :)
So here's a line from your link:

University officials refused comment, but representatives from Nabisco have denied any association between feces and their tasty product.

Next topic....

Yes, that is a satircal article but it does bring up an important question. Namely, what is the point of an MBA from a smaller institution?

According to the vast majority of MBAs I've interacted with, the primary goal of B-school is not to learn anything, but to network and to land a job. If you already have (or are getting) an MD and therefore are sure of having a job, why would you want to go to a smaller school for an MBA? Unless you're going into top-drawer administration where the three letters are necessary (and they usually aren't), it seems like a major waste of money/time. Many of the concepts of finance, entrepreneurship, and management seem like they can be learned easily on one's own (or, frankly, by trial-and-error). So I wonder, what's the point of going to a non-top-ten business school if you already are getting an MD?

Yes, that is a satircal article but it does bring up an important question. Namely, what is the point of an MBA from a smaller institution?

According to the vast majority of MBAs I've interacted with, the primary goal of B-school is not to learn anything, but to network and to land a job. If you already have (or are getting) an MD and therefore are sure of having a job, why would you want to go to a smaller school for an MBA? Unless you're going into top-drawer administration where the three letters are necessary (and they usually aren't), it seems like a major waste of money/time. Many of the concepts of finance, entrepreneurship, and management seem like they can be learned easily on one's own (or, frankly, by trial-and-error). So I wonder, what's the point of going to a non-top-ten business school if you already are getting an MD?

There's no point at all. Everyone else is just wasting their time in the other 300 MBA programs and they could just learn on their own. An MBA is just a big waste of time.

It really depends on what you plan to do with that MBA. I know several physicians who have jumped into executive positions for having an MBA from the University of Phoenix (I don't say this out of any disrespect for the University of Phoenix, but we all know that this school is not like Harvard or MIT).

If you lack the fundamental business knowledge and skills to manage your practice or to be a strong leader in the business world, consider formal business education.

Many non-physicians pursue B-school for the networking gains. If you're a physician, you're attending for different reasons. Networking is still very important, but you're in a different category compared to someone who has a B.A. or B.S.

It's true that you're in a different category than others, but adding an University of Phoenix degree to your resume is not only unnecessarily expensive but may also detract from its overall quality. To learn the basics of business in a medical setting is not extremely difficult and certainly does not necessitate an MBA. Even for those who would benefit from an extremely deep understanding of finance, management, marketing, etc. in the business world, the MBA degree is becoming something of a joke and is seen as a "two-year vacation" for many. Short of adding three letters to a signature, I question the need to pursue business school for any MD.

It's true that you're in a different category than others, but adding an University of Phoenix degree to your resume is not only unnecessarily expensive but may also detract from its overall quality. To learn the basics of business in a medical setting is not extremely difficult and certainly does not necessitate an MBA. Even for those who would benefit from an extremely deep understanding of finance, management, marketing, etc. in the business world, the MBA degree is becoming something of a joke and is seen as a "two-year vacation" for many. Short of adding three letters to a signature, I question the need to pursue business school for any MD.

That's right. And once you have an MD, you can fix cars too ( foreign and domestic of course), design skyscrapers, and start a professional musician career as well. Heck, you don't even need to sleep in a Holiday Inn the night before.

That's right. And once you have an MD, you can fix cars too ( foreign and domestic of course), design skyscrapers, and start a professional musician career as well. Heck, you don't even need to sleep in a Holiday Inn the night before.

pure gold

btw, if im a doc (im not) and want to do mba, i think the umass amherst program is the way to go, acpe has a program with them, which shows value in the degree imo