Ferris State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all is applying to Ferris this fall? Any Michiganders in here?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and i thought we will hear back after November 1 for our interviews. I got a couple emails informing me about the admission process but no interview invite so far. Anyone gotten any interview invites yet?

I applied and i thought we will hear back after November 1 for our interviews. I got a couple emails informing me about the admission process but no interview invite so far. Anyone gotten any interview invites yet?

Well, originally I was told they wouldn't review applications until after the deadline, but now they are saying they will offer early interviews, but I haven't heard anything yet (given my pharmcas was just mailed last week).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. I applied to Ferris State University COP Class of 2015 a week ago through PharmCAS. I am currently an undergrad Pre-Pharmacy student at Ferris. I attended an informational FSU College of Pharmacy Admissions event and they said early interviews would be conducted at beginning/middle December. They will then be doing regular interviews from end of December and all through January. Acceptance letters will be given out mid February.

Hey all. I applied to Ferris State University COP Class of 2015 a week ago through PharmCAS. I am currently an undergrad Pre-Pharmacy student at Ferris. I attended an informational FSU College of Pharmacy Admissions event and they said early interviews would be conducted at beginning/middle December. They will then be doing regular interviews from end of December and all through January. Acceptance letters will be given out mid February.

What is the advantage of having early interviews?

What is the advantage of having early interviews?

Well there aren't too many advantages of getting an early interview because Ferris doesn't do rolling admissions. I guess applying early just gives you a higher chance of being one of the 250 selected for an interview. Here is what I found on the Ferris website that kinda goes along with this:

Would it be beneficial to apply early? For qualified applicants, the College of Pharmacy will make early invitations for interviews, as well as early conditional admissions. It is important to note that early application will NOT increase the likelihood of conditional admission as compared to a later application. It is also important to note that an invitation to interview does NOT guarantee conditional admission to the Pharm.D. program.

Yeah, it's basically just to get your interview out of the way earlier. I talked to Dr. Wellman about it and he said there's no real advantage other than knowing if you will get a shot at an interview earlier. I'm down at Grand Valley by the way. I've never really been up to BR... how's the social life up there? I've had a couple friends tell me they hated it...? But given that our P3 and P4 years will be in GR, it shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, it's basically just to get your interview out of the way earlier. I talked to Dr. Wellman about it and he said there's no real advantage other than knowing if you will get a shot at an interview earlier. I'm down at Grand Valley by the way. I've never really been up to BR... how's the social life up there? I've had a couple friends tell me they hated it...? But given that our P3 and P4 years will be in GR, it shouldn't be too bad.

Your friends would be right. There isn't really a whole lot to do in Big Rapids (the name is fooling, I know). It is definately not a "night on the town" type of city. However, Ferris puts on a lot of events where they have comedians and entertainers come to campus. Those are pretty fun. But, yeah, thankfully P3 and P4 years are in Grand Rapids.

Your friends would be right. There isn't really a whole lot to do in Big Rapids (the name is fooling, I know). It is definately not a "night on the town" type of city. However, Ferris puts on a lot of events where they have comedians and entertainers come to campus. Those are pretty fun. But, yeah, thankfully P3 and P4 years are in Grand Rapids.

Yeah, assuming we get in, we'll make the best of it. I just love living in Grand Rapids. The night life is awesome down here. And I don't know how they squeezed that building into where they did but it's in a pretty good location downtown.

Yeah, i haven't heard anything either back yet either. I am also excited that you can come to grand rapids for p3 and p4. I'm at grand valley now and i really like it here in GR. I was wonder what your guy's gpa were, as mine is lower than i would like its a 3.27 on pharmcas.

Yeah, i haven't heard anything either back yet either. I am also excited that you can come to grand rapids for p3 and p4. I'm at grand valley now and i really like it here in GR. I was wonder what your guy's gpa were, as mine is lower than i would like its a 3.27 on pharmcas.

My GPA's just got calculated a few days ago on Pharmcas, I have a 3.82 overall, and a 3.77 math/science.

You know what is funny. I thought that Ferris would give out the interviews at least before Wayne State, but here i am already having been interviewed at U of M, having an interview December 9th at Wayne State and still haven't heard anything from Ferris :eyebrow:

-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You know what is funny. I thought that Ferris would give out the interviews at least before Wayne State, but here i am already having been interviewed at U of M, having an interview December 9th at Wayne State and still haven't heard anything from Ferris :eyebrow:

That is pretty odd. I didn't even expect to hear from WSU at all. I think the PharmCAS transition is screwing up their process pretty good.

I received an invitation from Ferris this morning. My choices are Dec 21st in Grand Rapids or Jan 14th in Big Rapids.

Does anyone here have an invite/plans to go either of these dates??

I received an invitation from Ferris this morning. My choices are Dec 21st in Grand Rapids or Jan 14th in Big Rapids.

Does anyone here have an invite/plans to go either of these dates??

I got an invite for these days as well. I'm kind of undecided at the moment on which one I want to go to. It would be nice to get the interview done sooner on 21st but since I'm a Ferris student doing the January 14th one would be more convenient since I'll be in the area.
How about you?

No invite here, i'm kind of disappointed and hopefully i get one next week. They received my application my application Sept 29th. When did you guys apply.

PS: By the way hillwilliam i think i know who you are :) You were in Group A with me at WSU interview

No invite here, i'm kind of disappointed and hopefully i get one next week. They received my application my application Sept 29th. When did you guys apply.

PS: By the way hillwilliam i think i know who you are :) You were in Group A with me at WSU interview

Yes, I was in Group A at 10:15. So was futurepharmd4. Funny that there was three of us from the Forum in the same group of 4.

If you PM me I will let you know if you are correct.

I'll be interviewing on the 21st in Grand Rapids. Anyone else doing the GR interview?

I'll be interviewing on the 21st in Grand Rapids. Anyone else doing the GR interview?

I haven't responded to the note yet. I'm leaning towards January 14th because I have travel plans for the holiday that would be hard for me to change and attend the 12/21 date.

how did it go for anyone that was there?

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty informal but everyone was really friendly. Not too bad at all. :)

I thought it was pretty informal but everyone was really friendly. Not too bad at all. :)

Yeah it was definitely more relaxed than I thought it would be. My interviewers were super friendly too. Too bad we have to wait till the end of February now :(

I'm getting really nervous now. I have an interview at Wayne State on January 25th, but I still haven't heard back from Ferris State. I e-submitted my application November 14th. Should I be worried?

Hi all,

I applied this November and I received an e-mail from Tara that they received my application on December 15th.

I already have an interview scheduled at Wayne State but I haven't heard anything from Ferris yet! Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

One person I talked to said they don't start interviews until February. Is this true?

Perhaps you should look at the application thread from last year. Many schools do their interviews Jan-March. Patience is a virtue. However, if you are especially anxious (and when in doubt), call the school directly. It would be better than any speculation that would be offered on here.

congrarts on ur wayne state interview. if u don't mind, can u please tell me ur stats. i submitted my application on nov. 15th and still have not heard back from wayne state. i am getting worried

I'm getting really nervous now. I have an interview at Wayne State on January 25th, but I still haven't heard back from Ferris State. I e-submitted my application November 14th. Should I be worried?

Ferris is generally slow. This year they had their first interviews on December 21st (Grand Rapids) and January 14th (Big Rapids). Their invitations referred to these as "early" interviews. So, I don't think you need to worry that you haven't heard yet.

Wayne State had their first round on December 9th and made offers from those interviews on Dec 16th. Wayne rolls their admissions and is just moving faster than Ferris.

no problem.

PCAT Composite: 71
Conventions of language: 3.5
Problem solving: 3.5
77 verbal, 80 bio, 71 reading comp, 54 quant, 53 chem

GPA over-all: 3.54
GPA math: 3.65
GPA science: 3.07

Pharm Experience: 9 months at CVS as a pharmacy technician, 3 months before that did a job shadow/volunteer at CVS

Patient-care Experience: 3 months as a PCA at St. Mary Mercy Hospital

Significant volunteering experience, not much structured extra-curriculars other than student pharmacy organization

2 letters of rec: 1 from microbio TA, other from pharmacist manager for 9 years (strong)

A pretty freaking awesome personal statement :cool:

Let's see how the interview goes! I only applied to WSU and Ferris.

Thanks guys. It was just a bit off-putting because I was pretty much told upon meeting the assistant dean that I'd get in the program last spring, so I was expecting to hear back from them first.

thank you. u have very good stats. i actually only applied to ferris and wayne as well. still have not heard back from either tho :/

good luck on ur upcoming interview :)

no problem.

PCAT Composite: 71
Conventions of language: 3.5
Problem solving: 3.5
77 verbal, 80 bio, 71 reading comp, 54 quant, 53 chem

GPA over-all: 3.54
GPA math: 3.65
GPA science: 3.07

Pharm Experience: 9 months at CVS as a pharmacy technician, 3 months before that did a job shadow/volunteer at CVS

Patient-care Experience: 3 months as a PCA at St. Mary Mercy Hospital

Significant volunteering experience, not much structured extra-curriculars other than student pharmacy organization

2 letters of rec: 1 from microbio TA, other from pharmacist manager for 9 years (strong)

A pretty freaking awesome personal statement :cool:

Let's see how the interview goes! I only applied to WSU and Ferris.

would you mind sharing your stats as well?

I got an interview invite but unfortunately i will reject it. Good luck everyone!

I also got an interview not long after I posted about my concerns! I really hope I get into both Wayne State and Ferris State...because honestly I'm still trying to decide which one I'd rather go to!

Hope all goes well for all the interviewees.

I got an email from Tara on the 7th for an interview.
Their dates are Friday, January 14th, Wednesday, January 19th, Friday, January 21st, Wednesday, January 26th, and Thursday, February 10th.

I will be interviewing on Feb 10th. Any insights on how their interview works?

I also got an interview not long after I posted about my concerns! I really hope I get into both Wayne State and Ferris State...because honestly I'm still trying to decide which one I'd rather go to!

Hope all goes well for all the interviewees.

Wayne State - $70k clinically oriented ranked 32nd
Ferris State - >$100k retail oriented ranked 51th

Personally Wayne State is my choice because I want to do a residency and I am more interesed in the clinical side of pharmacy also I live like 20 min from Wayne State so it the cheapest school.

Personally Wayne State is my choice because I want to do a residency and I am more interesed in the clinical side of pharmacy also I live like 20 min from Wayne State so it the cheapest school.

Ferris is ranked 61 not 51.

I really don't know how accurate the rankings are. They certainly aren't precise. Wayne State is currently tied at #32 with 9 other schools. So, I have to wonder where they are really.

actually i calculated ferris state's tuition for the whole program and it's ~$73,692 which is not drastically more than $70k.

actually i calculated ferris state's tuition for the whole program and it's ~$73,692 which is not drastically more than $70k.

THat matches my calculations too. I used the total credit hours for the program and multiplied that by the current in-state tuition rate/credit hour.

hey guys i scheduled my ferris interview on the 26th at the big rapids campus. if anyone has been to that campus can u please tell me which hotels r close to it? also wat is that city like? it seems pretty plain :/

hey guys i scheduled my ferris interview on the 26th at the big rapids campus. if anyone has been to that campus can u please tell me which hotels r close to it? also wat is that city like? it seems pretty plain :/

There are two hotels that come to mind, the Quality Inn and the Holiday Inn. I do not recommend the Quality Inn at all; completely disgusting. The Holiday Inn seems nice though -- it has a Bennigan's in it. Both hotels are about a mile/ mile and a half from the Pharmacy building. As for the city itself, yeah, it's pretty plain. People joke about the amish horse and buggies around here.

lol thank you for the response i just booked the holiday inn

There are two hotels that come to mind, the Quality Inn and the Holiday Inn. I do not recommend the Quality Inn at all; completely disgusting. The Holiday Inn seems nice though -- it has a Bennigan's in it. Both hotels are about a mile/ mile and a half from the Pharmacy building. As for the city itself, yeah, it's pretty plain. People joke about the amish horse and buggies around here.

My bad I was using room and board too for me since I live 4 hours away from Ferris and 20 min from Wayne State. Hillwilliam if pharmacy ever forms a tier system for schools it will be like law schools ranked 1-50 first tier 50-100 second tier and new and unranked schools third tier. With the way things are going with all the schools popping up this is a very possible scenario.

I had a interview on the 21st of December in grand rapids. It went really well i guess i was there second interview for the year ( the first was like 15min before me) That said we should hear back at end on feb( hopefully they said) I only applied to a few schools so hopefully i get into ferris.

My bad I was using room and board too for me since I live 4 hours away from Ferris and 20 min from Wayne State. Hillwilliam if pharmacy ever forms a tier system for schools it will be like law schools ranked 1-50 first tier 50-100 second tier and new and unranked schools third tier. With the way things are going with all the schools popping up this is a very possible scenario.

I was not attempting to state that rankings are irrelevant. However, at this point, they may give a general understanding of a programs current national position but it is not absolute. Wayne State is tied with 9 other programs at 32. This leaves me wondering where they really are, 32, 40 or somewhere in between. The current rankings are done by US News & World Report and not endorsed by the professional associations

Just to let everyone know, there are a few people who have got their acceptance letters! ...and it's not even the end of February yet!

Just to let everyone know, there are a few people who have got their acceptance letters! ...and it's not even the end of February yet!

you get them in the mail (not email), right? did you get yours? if so congratulations!