FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thoughts on my app? Decided late, and will take the elective in September, so I won't be able to submit transcripts/rads LOR until at least the last week of Sept.

228 Step 1, Mostly Bs, 1 A first 2 years.
3rd year grades: OB B+ Peds B Neuro B Psych B FM A Medicine Honors Surgery - pending, but likely A or maybe even H.
No research
3 potential good medicine LORs, one from Rads when I do it. I'm from a like 50ish ranked school if that matters. I'd go anywhere - academic, community.

What do you think? I feel like I could probably match, but I hope it isn't too late.

Members don't see this ad.

Middle Tier Medical School in Southeast US
GPA = 3.71
Mix of A's and B's MS1 (lackluster)
Strong upward trend in grades
All A's MS2
All A's (equivalent of honors) MS3
Step 1 = 243/99
Step 2 = 272/99
2 second author publications, likely one more publication by november in Orthopedics actually (wanted to match ortho until mid-MS3 year)
1 poster presentation at Orthopedic research society mtg
Lot's of EC's, including President of Medical Business Association, etc etc etc
4 strong LOR's (Rads, Peds, Fam Med, Surgery)
Top 25% of class, possible senior AOA
Undergraduate Physics Degree
6 years work experience in visual spatial heavy Engineering/Computer Aided Design

What do you guys think? Any advice on the types and range of programs to apply to???

Thanks !

dude, seriously?! you're rock solid at the top programs my man. your app looks like you were rads straight outta diapers:laugh:. nice work.

well, here's what i got. love to get some feedback....

U.S. IMG
former physician assistant
step 1: 253
step 2: 261
CS: pass
#1 class rank in basic sciences
honored Surg, Peds, Rads, Family. high pass OB, IM, ICU
2 master's (one completed during basic sciences) + thesis, but not published
Aunt Minnie case of the day
nice letters from Surg, IM, Fam, and Rads.
nice smattering of volunteering experience

hoping to get interviews in the midwest and across the south

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What's up, Krust3?

Thanks for the compliments!

As far as your resume goes...looks pretty nice to me! :) Lots of past experience in the real world, which I imagine will really boost your application, along with that great Step 1.

I wish I had your research and post-grad experience. I am sure that will help you land a competitive academic program, if that is what you want. I am sure you are as qualified as any American graduate, so I wish you a lot of luck with this process. Wish rads wasnt so competitive! :)

Maybe I will see you on the trail. I am applying mainly in the South (Florida to Ga to Philadelphia to Texas to Kentucky area. Might throw in a few random schools too.) Where are you applying?

from what i hear, your apps in the south will be well accepted. most the competitive programs are on the coasts and few big cities otherwise.

since i'm an IMG, i'm basically applying to 90 or so programs across the entire U.S., even some in the south like yourself.

that's kinda the way it goes for IMG's though. we'll see hoping for 10 interviews minimum, but i'll take whateve i can get.

Both of you have solid applications.

Make sure your interview skills are up to snuff. Make sure your suit is clean. Brush your teeth in the morning. Relax.

Apply where you want to go, interview at as many as you think you can reasonably afford, and then just pray. :p

Once you get an interview, realize that the program thinks you're academically sound enough to warrant a position. The interview is just to make sure your personality fits with what they've got.

Good luck! The games begin tomorrow! :D

Define interview skills are up to snuff.

I have a hard time understanding what this means - seriously. If one is normal happy go lucky person, easy to get along with, what preparation is needed?

I'm in a unique situation.. currently an OBGYN PGY-1 and strongly considering switching to radiology for a number of reasons. What do I need to do (besides taking deep breaths and saying a prayer ;o) )?

1. in top 1/2 of class at Top 15 medschool
2. High Pass in medicine and surgery first half of third year, then suddenly got better at shelf exams and Honors in Peds, OBGYN, Psych, Neuro, Fam Medicine
3. Step 1:236, Step 2: 246
4. currently at a top east coast OBGYN program- have spoken with PD already, he is supportive and I hope to get a strong letter from him about my performance as an intern
5. research is my weak spot so I hope to do fulltime research in radiology at the university hospital I hope to match to after intern year is over (unfortunately not the same place as my current hospital where I already have contacts.. for personal reasons I need to move across the country, further complicating the picture).. I'd do research for a year after I finish internship and during that year of research, apply to rads programs.. by the time the application goes in, I'd only have 3-4 months of research under my belt, but hopefully by the time the rank list is due I'd have 9 months and the makings of a decent paper on the way
6. I need to match in California (Bay Area strongly preferable) for family reasons

Is this a reasonable plan or am I fooling myself into thinking this can happen? I'd appreciate any feedback, would be happy to provide more detail in a private message to clarify. thanks!!!!

I'm in a unique situation.. currently an OBGYN PGY-1 and strongly considering switching to radiology for a number of reasons. What do I need to do (besides taking deep breaths and saying a prayer ;o) )?

6. I need to match in California (Bay Area strongly preferable) for family reasons

Is this a reasonable plan or am I fooling myself into thinking this can happen? I'd appreciate any feedback, would be happy to provide more detail in a private message to clarify. thanks!!!!

I think that will be your problem. You could probably get a rads spot, especially with the support of your PD, but you want to be in the bay area which limits you to 4 programs:

Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Program
San Jose, California 420-05-31-032

Stanford University Program
Stanford, California 420-05-21-034

University of California (Davis) Health System Program
Sacramento, California 420-05-11-013

University of California (San Francisco) Program
San Francisco, California 420-05-21-031

Well, you can likely cross UCSF and Stanford off your list right away, so you have only 2 realistic options left, which are still difficult to get in. Your best shot is to try and get some connections to get a spot outside the match or be more open to other locations. But who knows what can happen.

Uh...yeah. So getting the bay area will be difficult to say the least. And I'm not sure if I would count UC Davis as the bay area (you'd have to be insane to commute that). Santa Clara is your best bet especially since they have a strong regional bias, but you're going to have a lot of explaining to do regarding why you want to switch (not just specialties, but regions as well). Also, since you would already have done an intern year, I'm not sure how that would work. Are you applying solely for an advanced position? In that case, your chances are even slimmer because one of the incoming residents would need to drop out. If not, I'm not sure you'll get funding since you technically already completed an intern year.

Hello everyone,

I submitted my ERAS application last week and ended up applying to 70 radiology programs. Hoping to get roughly 15 interviews. I'm an osteopathic student with the following stats:

Step 1: 247/99
Step 2: 266/99
Research: 1 published article and several posters
Grades: 5/7 Honors during core clerkships
Away rotations scheduled in Rads: 3
Letters: 1 Rads; 1 Surg; 1 Medicine; 1 GP
Extras: About average

As a DO student do you think I'll make my target of 15 interviews? Most of the programs I've applied to are in the northeast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This isn't a "here are my stats - tell me their ok to make me feel better". I know I'm at a huge disadvantage as a DO and just want to make sure that I'm doing everything possible to better my chances. Thanks and good luck to you all.

check out NRMP.org and look at the 2009 charting outcomes. You scores above US applicants and Independent applicants for those who matched in 2009. Don't go by opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering applying to rads. What do you guys think? Decent shot at matching in the future?
Step1 226
MedSchool: Top 5
Preclinical grades (2nd year) roughly half HP's half H's
Clinical grades: mix of HP, H, P so far.
Research: 6 months of full time basic science research right before entering medical school, no pubs. Planning on starting rad research soon.

please critique

Extra-currics: healthcare advocacy for homeless, student gov exec, lots of other stuff
research: none in med school but lots in Ugrad/master's with three second author pubs
Clinical: High Honors in Med, Rads, Peds; Honors in Surg, Ob/Gyn, Neuro, Psych
preclinical: all pass (only p/f at my school)
Step I: 265/99

I have been considering Radiology but not sure if its worth stressing myself over something so competitive. And I think I might miss the patient interactions.

Last edited:
please critique

Extra-currics: healthcare advocacy for homeless, student gov exec, lots of other stuff
research: none in med school but lots in Ugrad/master's with three second author pubs

I have been considering Radiology but not sure if its worth stressing myself over something so competitive. And I think I might miss the patient interactions.

In all honesty, you should have absolutely no problems matching, provided you do fine on interviews.

please critique

I was in peds rads this morning. at least 25% of the morning was spent in patient interaction. Two Upper GI series and an image guided procedure and a complicated CT. And you know what else? Very little bureaucratic work except for the dictation and scan protocoling. We actually get work done without fannying about.

You should be fine, the 3 pubs from undergrad will help, but the lack of research during med school might hurt your chances at academic programs since you haven't shown an interest in rads research. But otherwise your application is solid with acoustic shadowing, just don't expect a cakewalk. They will ask you 'why rads?' and you need an answer.

Any thoughts on mine?
MS-III
Step1: 228/95, do i need to take Step 2?
We have no pre-clinical/clinical grades, but I'm expecting to do OK but not stellar by the written evaluations on core rotations. Rads: 3 away rotations planned in the bay area and northwest, as well as 2 at this university (one peds, one adult). Expecting to do well on these
Pubs: 10 total, 2 first, 3 seconds. These are from research done in undergrad. I'm expecting to get 2 more firsts accepted in the next year based on research done here, maybe a second. All of these are rads or rads-related. I also have some abstracts/presentations, all during undergrad though. Maybe have a couple next year.

Any thoughts on mine?
MS-III
Step1: 228/95, do i need to take Step 2?
We have no pre-clinical/clinical grades, but I'm expecting to do OK but not stellar by the written evaluations on core rotations. Rads: 3 away rotations planned in the bay area and northwest, as well as 2 at this university (one peds, one adult). Expecting to do well on these
Pubs: 10 total, 2 first, 3 seconds. These are from research done in undergrad. I'm expecting to get 2 more firsts accepted in the next year based on research done here, maybe a second. All of these are rads or rads-related. I also have some abstracts/presentations, all during undergrad though. Maybe have a couple next year.

I would take step 2 early if I were you and rock out on it. The rest of your application looks great and given what you said about having no pre-clinical/clinical grades, it's pretty clear you're going to a top-notch school (only ones confident enough to throw people out there to the wolves with no grades to back up the rest of the app). If you go to school where I think you go to school, you should have no problems justifying your location preferences...however as you know this is an incredibly competitive area of the country and a 228 is not going to be viewed as strong (while your research experiences most certainly will).

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of taking the step 2 but I do not want to because 1) I do not want to expose myself again to a 'bad day' like I had on the step I (I was consistently testing in the 240s/250s for that test) and confirm my mediocrity. and 2) I do not want to take time away from networking through research and doing away rotations.

Do you think doing the step 2 is really necessary?

Thanks, guys. Maybe I'll do a rads sub-I and try to get involved in research. I really like research, I just never had any time to do it since I was so tied down in student gov and other extra-curriculars.

You have a rads sub-I? How does that even work - cause it makes no sense?

1) There are no Rads interns
2) You know jack squat about Rads as a student

You have a rads sub-I? How does that even work - cause it makes no sense?

1) There are no Rads interns
2) You know jack squat about Rads as a student

what he means is rads aways, which act somewhat like auditions.

This is more for advice if I need to take USMLE Step 2 and when to take it if its something I need.

DO student
step 1: 244/99
#3 class rank in basic sciences
High marks in IM and surgery rotations
LORs from rads and general surgery
Extra: surgery club board member
Research: none

Would prefer to stay in big cities at a University associated hospital (Chicago, Philadelphia, etc) or either coasts (seems difficult)
I'm OK with the midwest/rockies/SW as long as its a large metropolitan area

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is more for advice if I need to take USMLE Step 2 and when to take it if its something I need.

DO student

Would prefer to stay in big cities at a University associated hospital (Chicago, Philadelphia, etc) or either coasts (seems difficult)

Thanks!
Solid stats - might recommend getting involved in some research for the big-hitters. I'd say if any of the below characterize you, then you can afford to push it back (ie. you will get IVs without Step 2):

1) From the region in which you want to match
2) Female and/or minority
3) Have done/will do an away rotation at desired institution(s)

DO student

Thanks!

In bold is the weakest part of your application. That takes the more prestigious university hospitals in desirable cities out of the game unless you get lucky.

step 1: 246
clinical grades: a couple HPs, rest passes
research: research award, publication, presentation at national rads conf

I'm mostly wondering what kind of impact not having honors third year will have. I'm at a pretty good school (top 25) not sure if that helps. Oh, and I probably want to stay in the midwest and not really shooting for a particularly prestigious program.

If you want to stay in the midwest, you can probably go to any of the top programs like MIR, UMich, Mayo. There's just not much demand. I bet the much lower tier CA/NYC programs are equally as competitive as MIR/Mayo because of location.

If you want to stay in the midwest, you can probably go to any of the top programs like MIR, UMich, Mayo. There's just not much demand. I bet the much lower tier CA/NYC programs are equally as competitive as MIR/Mayo because of location.

I disagree with this.

UMich, for example, has had recent classes that were completely filled with residents that all had AOA (and they consistently have an average Step I approaching 250). They routinely have over 700 applicants and only interview 75 for 11 spots. What I mean is that it almost doesn't even matter how qualified you are, as luck is going to play a big role in the process at top programs. In addition, don't underestimate "fit" at an interview, as it's something that kills qualified applicants all the time.

MIR is similarly competitive, although probably a little easier to match given that they have more spots and the program is in St. Louis.

To the OP: you need to cast a wide net and see what happens. Check out radiology.matchapplicants.com to help you gauge your competitiveness while keeping in mind that radiology is very regional. For instance, someone from Cali who has the same stats you have is going to fair much better in Cali than you would.

Good luck!

Last edited:
any advice or opinions would be appreciated:

MS3 at lower tier med school. Below average-to average grades, GPA 2.98. No research in med school but did undergrad diabetes research with 2 second author publications. I have straight B's this year so far. Step 1: 245/99. I would prefer to be in Chicago, but am concerned about my chances of matching period. What do you think? Thanks.

Your Step 1 will garner you interviews, but your likelihood of matching is going to be low unless you get some Honors/As in your third year. Chicago was extremely regional this year, so if you are in the midwest you may have a chance at Rush, Cook County, etc. NW and U Chicago would be difficult to get even if you were AOA.

In terms of getting in period I think you should strive for better third year grades and some radiology research. I think the research will help give you something to talk about during interviews and more importantly will help you develop a strong relationship with attending radiologists who in turn will write you a strong letter. Strong letters can help offset some of the weaker parts of your application.

If you think of yourself as personable consider doing some away rotations at some of the community programs near your home institution or in the Chicago area. Be honest with yourself, if you are only slightly awkward this may backfire because in essence these are 2-4 week long interviews. One bad day with one attending or resident could really blow it.

Start making a list of programs with a slant more to community programs, who will be willing to overlook your weaker grades due to your strong Step 1. Follow the 1/3 rule (1/3 reach, 1/3 competitive, 1/3 easier), http://radiology.matchapplicants.com may be somewhat helpful, but the stats are quite inflated (AOA and board scores).

People complain all the time about how all applicants are applying to too many programs, but I think that if you cannot improve your grades third year and anticipate being in the lower half or quarter of your class that you should apply to no less than 60 programs, concentrating on wherever your school is located. Good luck!

step 1-241
class rank-top 1/4 through first two years, all b's so far 3rd year
research-maybe one presentation at a radiology conference
I go to school at a decent place in midwest in a small city, I have to go to a big city for residency, do I have a decent shot regardless of community or academic based. All the data seems to be saying my numbers are at best average these days, and my grades 3rd year have been mediocre, I just want an honest assessment if I can get into the east coast. I know I could match radiology in general but the east coast seems ultra competitive.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

step 1-241
class rank-top 1/4 through first two years, all b's so far 3rd year
research-maybe one presentation at a radiology conference
I go to school at a decent place in midwest in a small city, I have to go to a big city for residency, do I have a decent shot regardless of community or academic based. All the data seems to be saying my numbers are at best average these days, and my grades 3rd year have been mediocre, I just want an honest assessment if I can get into the east coast. I know I could match radiology in general but the east coast seems ultra competitive.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

After going through the interview process, these questions are tough to answer. There's just so much variability and luck involved, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. You may not even want to train at an academic powerhouse, but it's going to be hard for you to match at a top-tier place on the East coast if you don't have multiple third year honors (or AOA) or something else that makes your application stand out (PhD, multiple first author pubs, etc.). Bottom line is that you should be able to match at an East coast program, but places like MGH, BWH, NYU, Penn, Hopkins, Wake, and Duke are going to be super reaches for you. I don't mean to be harsh, but I would be frankly surprised if you matched at one of those programs despite your good credentials.

On the positive side, there are plenty of other university programs on the East coast that would give you a shot, and you most certainly don't have to train at one of the above uber-competitive programs to become a good radiologist.

As far as what you can do from here on out to improve your chances, don't underestimate the importance of good LORs. Getting meaningful letters from people that know you well can go a long way. Otherwise, try as hard as you can to get honors in the clerkships you have left. Apply broadly.

I don't want to get you down on your application, as you've obviously worked hard and done well. You should be proud of your achievements. Radiology is just a tough cookie to crack. Good luck!

I absolutely agree with Labslave's assessment. The process is just so random. If you go to http://radiology.matchapplicants.com you can see how the numbers don't always predict interview success. The intangibles (ie. strong letters from known people in radiology) are extremely important and can propel otherwise mediocre applications.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate the feedback especially from people who are applying right now.

hey, i guess i'll hop on this bandwagon too

I go to a mid-tier US med school aiming for radiology, i expect to get honors in 3-4 rotations, I got a 265 on step I, I actually don't have any research at all, and no AOA

My question was how good are my chances at a top program? or do they almost always go for someone with research?

Additionally, would taking step 2 early be a mistake? I kinda want to just get it over with while i still have alot of stuff from 3rd year fresh in my head

thanks

Edit: yes i know i only have 1 post i just made this account to add to this thread, i'm not a troll..

Last edited:
hey, i guess i'll hop on this bandwagon too

I go to a mid-tier US med school aiming for radiology, i expect to get honors in 3-4 rotations, I got a 265 on step I, I actually don't have any research at all, and no AOA

My question was how good are my chances at a top program? or do they almost always go for someone with research?

Additionally, would taking step 2 early be a mistake? I kinda want to just get it over with while i still have alot of stuff from 3rd year fresh in my head

thanks

Edit: yes i know i only have 1 post i just made this account to add to this thread, i'm not a troll..

If you get honors in 3-4 rotations (especially surgery or medicine) I think your chances for a top program will actually be really good. I think doing research rotations at big name places are helpful to get an interview and to get a strong LOR from a faculty member at that program.

is a research rotation significantly different than a usual away rotation at a radiology department? also, any thoughts on taking step 2 before or after i apply for residency?

is a research rotation significantly different than a usual away rotation at a radiology department? also, any thoughts on taking step 2 before or after i apply for residency?

I think a research rotation is better than the usual away rotation for a few reasons. First, if you are ambitious and a hard worker you can truly shine on the research away. I don't know what your school's radiology electives are like, but if they are like mine they primarily involve not falling asleep and looking interested while also not interfering with the work flow.

Second I think that you will get more one on one time with a specific faculty person on the research elective, versus just spending an afternoon with a different person every day.

Last, if you do get something done you can put it on your application.

Regarding Step 2, take it when you feel like it. It won't confer any advantage if you take it early as you already rocked out on step 1. Taking it early just means that it will be out of the way and that you don't have to study while interviewing.

How do programs look upon applicants who have had actual radiology experience? For example, I worked in radiology for 10 years in my undergrad and was ARRT registered in radiography and computed tomography. My degree is in radiologic sciences. I am a technologist who worked his way up and is now going to medical school this fall.

Now, if I turn out to have average grades with an average step I for a rads applicant, will this prior career really, really help me? Or will it just be a minor thing?

Just trying to gage how interested a program would be in a person who spent years in radiology before med school.

How do programs look upon applicants who have had actual radiology experience? For example, I worked in radiology for 10 years in my undergrad and was ARRT registered in radiography and computed tomography. My degree is in radiologic sciences. I am a technologist who worked his way up and is now going to medical school this fall.

Now, if I turn out to have average grades with an average step I for a rads applicant, will this prior career really, really help me? Or will it just be a minor thing?

Just trying to gage how interested a program would be in a person who spent years in radiology before med school.

First of all, congrats on getting into med school!

Now to your question...

Your work experiences will definitely help you demonstrate a longitudinal interest and commitment to the field. Many people don't get interested in radiology until much later in medical school, so having this feather in your cap can only help.

That being said, I wouldn't anticipate that it's going to really, really help you. Your Step 1 score, grades, LORs, and research publications will carry much more weight in your application. The general gist is this: grades and boards get your foot in the door (i.e. get the rest of your application looked at), and if you're subpar in one or both of those, your application might be tossed irrespective of what the rest of it looks like. Strong LORs and research experience/publications would then help make you a well-rounded candidate. Your work experiences would then be icing on the cake and could feasibly help you get a few extra interviews or make for interesting interview conversation. I really wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Good luck!

Im a new member and as of late Ive been seriously considering doing radiology and figured I post to get an idea where i Stand. I really feel like it may match what I am looking for iin a field, but am afraid of how competitive it maybe. I have a 3.7 gpa right now, hopefully will grab senior AOA, but my STEP I is a 232. I have done a couple of research projects and snagged a publication, but it is non-radiology related. I also have a decent variety of activities/leadership involvement on my CV, but nothing crazy. If I am not picky about where I end up, do I have a decent chance of matching? How about if I want to make sure I match in the northeast? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Im a new member and as of late Ive been seriously considering doing radiology and figured I post to get an idea where i Stand. I really feel like it may match what I am looking for iin a field, but am afraid of how competitive it maybe. I have a 3.7 gpa right now, hopefully will grab senior AOA, but my STEP I is a 232. I have done a couple of research projects and snagged a publication, but it is non-radiology related. I also have a decent variety of activities/leadership involvement on my CV, but nothing crazy. If I am not picky about where I end up, do I have a decent chance of matching? How about if I want to make sure I match in the northeast? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Is that 3.7 your clinical performance? Did you get A's in medicine and/or surgery? If you did you have an excellent chance of matching. Getting a 240+ on Step 2 will increase your chances even more. If you get AOA you will have a fair shot at competitive programs in the Northeast. Only 25% of matched applicants were AOA, and if you did get this it would be the strongest part of your application. Work on getting some strong letters from 3rd year faculty and you will be set.

Is that 3.7 your clinical performance? Did you get A's in medicine and/or surgery? If you did you have an excellent chance of matching. Getting a 240+ on Step 2 will increase your chances even more. If you get AOA you will have a fair shot at competitive programs in the Northeast. Only 25% of matched applicants were AOA, and if you did get this it would be the strongest part of your application. Work on getting some strong letters from 3rd year faculty and you will be set.

As of now its 3.7 in both preclinical and clinical

First of all, congrats on getting into med school!

Now to your question...

Your work experiences will definitely help you demonstrate a longitudinal interest and commitment to the field. Many people don't get interested in radiology until much later in medical school, so having this feather in your cap can only help.

That being said, I wouldn't anticipate that it's going to really, really help you. Your Step 1 score, grades, LORs, and research publications will carry much more weight in your application. The general gist is this: grades and boards get your foot in the door (i.e. get the rest of your application looked at), and if you're subpar in one or both of those, your application might be tossed irrespective of what the rest of it looks like. Strong LORs and research experience/publications would then help make you a well-rounded candidate. Your work experiences would then be icing on the cake and could feasibly help you get a few extra interviews or make for interesting interview conversation. I really wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. This is kind of what I figured. I know if I don't make a certain "cut", then somebody may never even get to the part where I worked in radiology.

After reading the FAQs, I'm still uncertain if my application is competitive enough to be accepted to any Radiology program, let alone a top tier. I would prefer an academic program not in the Midwest and one that will help me obtain an Interventional Radiology fellowship. I hope to make a decision soon since I will be applying for 1-2 aways and thus need to pick between Radiology or IM.

Step 1: 236
AOA: No
Year 3: No Honors thus far (hoping to do good on IM right now)
Not from top 50 school. Texas.
Gold Humanism award (not sure if this even matters)
Lots of leadership activities and community service work
3-4 Published Abstracts

Any help would be much appreciated!

After reading the FAQs, I'm still uncertain if my application is competitive enough to be accepted to any Radiology program, let alone a top tier. I would prefer an academic program not in the Midwest and one that will help me obtain an Interventional Radiology fellowship. I hope to make a decision soon since I will be applying for 1-2 aways and thus need to pick between Radiology or IM.

3-4 Published Abstracts

Yes, you will absolutely get a shot. No, I can't guarantee a midwest program or an academic program. Those are harder to get by the minute. IR is wide open - you can basically go wherever you want from almost any Rads program. It isn't competitive. Honors will help. The research is good. Do your Rads rotations, get good letters, apply broadly. At least 60-70 progs.

Just note: do you like diagnostic too, or are you only IR focused? Cause you might be pretty unhappy during the rest of those 4 years that aren't IR related if you are. Think about it.

3-4 Published Abstracts

I think you have a shot. My advice would be to apply to as many programs as possible. Take step 2 early if you can and do well.

removed

Last edited: