FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok, i'll throw one out there and see if i get a response.

so i'm currently a 3rd year at a low-mid tier school and i've pretty much set my sights on rads, eventually IR. i'd like to match somewhere in california. i'm not from there, but my mom moved out there after i went to college. the past few years she's been having a variety of health issues, and i'd really like to move closer to her. i count 15 programs on frieda. i'm guessing they are more competitive simply due to location, if not for reputation, exposure, teaching, etc. so my question is, what do you think of my chances of matching a program out there?

first year med school: caribbean school - 4.0 gpa
second year US school: all P and one H
third year: 2 HP and a P so far, assuming similar for the rest of the year
step 1: 240
3 publications prior to med school in neuro, 3rd/4th author

can anyone give me any insight? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What are names of some community programs? What are their usual USMLE scoring ranges - are they lower such as 210s to 220s?

ok, i'll throw one out there and see if i get a response.

so i'm currently a 3rd year at a low-mid tier school and i've pretty much set my sights on rads, eventually IR. i'd like to match somewhere in california. i'm not from there, but my mom moved out there after i went to college. the past few years she's been having a variety of health issues, and i'd really like to move closer to her. i count 15 programs on frieda. i'm guessing they are more competitive simply due to location, if not for reputation, exposure, teaching, etc. so my question is, what do you think of my chances of matching a program out there?

first year med school: caribbean school - 4.0 gpa
second year US school: all P and one H
third year: 2 HP and a P so far, assuming similar for the rest of the year
step 1: 240
3 publications prior to med school in neuro, 3rd/4th author

can anyone give me any insight? thanks

Hmmm it does not look like you are on track to be AOA, is that accurate?

So, non-AOA from caribbean med school trying to match in Cali for rads? I would say your chances are exceedingly slim, and I would encourage you to do as many away rotations as you can and IMPRESS. Pick realistic programs to rotate at also (not UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, or Stanford). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm it does not look like you are on track to be AOA, is that accurate?

So, non-AOA from caribbean med school trying to match in Cali for rads? I would say your chances are exceedingly slim, and I would encourage you to do as many away rotations as you can and IMPRESS. Pick realistic programs to rotate at also (not UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, or Stanford). Good luck.

He transferred into a US med school, so he is no longer a Caribbean med student. So, how do his chances change knowing that?

Perhaps the lower end of the Cali programs. No Honors in the 3rd year may hurt a fair amount. Solid Step 1 and research will help though.

Check out matchapplicants.com and search the California programs you are interested in for grades, board scores, etc.

No Honors in the 3rd year may hurt a fair amount

Even if the school puts a strict cap on Honors? (i.e. only the top 10%)

Plenty of excellent students fall outside the top 10% I'd say.

Even if the school puts a strict cap on Honors? (i.e. only the top 10%)

Plenty of excellent students fall outside the top 10% I'd say.

The applicant is trying to match into a competitive specialty in a very competitive location. I said it may hurt them somewhat, but I did not say it would exclude them. Also I said the lower end may very well be open to them, maybe even the middle-tier. But, as someone mentioned previously UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, UCLA, etc. is even hard for superstars.

<LOL I just had to remove it - too silly! >

LOL
thats terrible! I take it back then!
Well you can't judge a Mario by his cover. I thought it was a Halloweens costume!

what about my chances? I eventually want to do interventional neuroradiology but am unsure about doing a neuro vs. rads residency..
Preclinical grades: mostly H, some HPs
Clinical grades: mostly HP, some Hs
Step 1: 255
Research: some posters in neuroscience in undergrad, none so far in medschool

Ok just recently have come to the conclusion that I would like to pursue a residency in Rads over Ortho. Any advice or thoughts on my chances would be greatly appreciated!

Step 1: 243
GPA: >3.9 all honors in clerkships so far
Research: none
Was nominated for AOA in third year but not accepted hope to be accepted senior yr.

Ok just recently have come to the conclusion that I would like to pursue a residency in Rads over Ortho. Any advice or thoughts on my chances would be greatly appreciated!

Was nominated for AOA in third year but not accepted hope to be accepted senior yr.

Looking good, the only thing I'd work on is changing your screen name!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL I know right its just funny b/c I have been set on ortho since high school and am just now coming to the conclusion that rads is where Id probably like to end up.

How much will not having any research except for a semester in undergrad hurt my chances of matching?

It will have precisely no role.

Really no role? I thought that a large percentage of those that matched in Rads had some research under their belt?

lol thanks for reiterating that point guys. I have just been geared towards ortho for so long and in that field research is pretty important.

Should I consider putting off Step II?

I don't agree with that! Good grades, excellent LOR, high scorce will be enouge to match at a good program, but it won't be enough to match at a super top program,
If your eyes set on the most prestigious program (e.g UCSF, Stanford, Havard, U Penn), you need to do research and have publication by the time that you submit your application.

Why the switch?

I really find these posts annoying, but I just met with my radiology advisor and I am feeling less confident about myself. So I am likely to apply to radiology and there are some strong aspects to my application (Step 1 - 248, PhD with plenty of publications) and some lukewarm parts (middle of the pack preclinical and clinical grades, no resume building extracurriculars, and a PhD that has nothing to do with radiology). I would like to do my residency on the east or west coast at a place where there are many opportunities for research, however, these places also tend to be the big-name places that are more competitive. Any idea as to how competitive an on-paper person like me would be at these types of programs? Also, how important are extracurriculars in radiology? My advisor seems to believe that my application is woefully inadequate without any. Any further ideas about how to boost my competitiveness? As of now I am working on building my radiology CV by doing some research and making some contacts but beyond that I do not know what else to do. Thanks for your time and help.

middle of the pack clinical grades/evals might hurt

but i've never heard of someone being hurt by a lack of radiology-specific research or radiology "extracurriculars" (whatever that is)

with a nice step 1 score and a PhD, I think you should be just fine

(Step 1 - 248, PhD with plenty of publications)

if you're not a competitive applicant, then a lot of us (including me) are screwed. Maybe you're at a really good program used to seeing very strong applicant?

I really find these posts annoying, but I just met with my radiology advisor and I am feeling less confident about myself. So I am likely to apply to radiology and there are some strong aspects to my application (Step 1 - 248, PhD with plenty of publications) and some lukewarm parts (middle of the pack preclinical and clinical grades, no resume building extracurriculars, and a PhD that has nothing to do with radiology). I would like to do my residency on the east or west coast at a place where there are many opportunities for research, however, these places also tend to be the big-name places that are more competitive. Any idea as to how competitive an on-paper person like me would be at these types of programs? Also, how important are extracurriculars in radiology? My advisor seems to believe that my application is woefully inadequate without any. Any further ideas about how to boost my competitiveness? As of now I am working on building my radiology CV by doing some research and making some contacts but beyond that I do not know what else to do. Thanks for your time and help.

You are golden. That PhD will shine like my diamond-studded grill. Apply to the big name places, I see you receiving over 50% interviews from the Top 10 programs.

what about my chances? I eventually want to do interventional neuroradiology but am unsure about doing a neuro vs. rads residency..
Preclinical grades: mostly H, some HPs
Clinical grades: mostly HP, some Hs
Step 1: 255
Research: some posters in neuroscience in undergrad, none so far in medschool
Sorry for the repost but I received no feedback...anyone? Thanks

Sorry for the repost but I received no feedback...anyone? Thanks

Exactly what kind of feedback are you expecting? If you've read the FAQ and you have at least 3 neurons you should have a very good idea of what your chances are. :idea:

Sounds like you are smart kid- are you seriously unsure of your chances? -- because it almost sounds like you are fishing for compliments. ;)

Lets cut down on these threads lets just post a few general rules so that we don't keep covering the same ground all the time. I will get us started and others feel free to add their 2 cents. If it is informative enough, we can sticky it and it can be used as reference for new 4th ys in the future.

From my experience and talking with successful applicants at several places from previous years and this year:

All new applicants should look at the Match Data report released each August as that is the most up to date raw data on matching. Some of the data from this year will likely change slightly (for example, Step 1 scores have started to drift up some over the last couple years).

Steps 1 and 2: through this last year of applicants, to "know" you are in good shape, mid-230-240s and you are the average successful applicant....low 230s is borderline and depends on the rest of your application. If you are 250 and above then Step 1 is not a problem for you and it is better to not take Step 2 and risk dropping (although this is unlikley as most do better but safer not to). If you must take Step 2 due to your schools requirments, then don't release the score until you have seen it (and if lower don't release at all until match is over). 220s and below, you should really think about taking Step 2 early and getting in the 240s.

AOA: Helps but not a magic bullet nor is it an application killer with out it at even the competitive places. If you have strong clincial grades, good step 1 and good letters you can match at good places without this. If you have all those things and AOA then it can help move you up.

Clerkship grades: Surgery and Medicine are the two big ones followed by Peds and OB and everything else after that. If you can pull a couple of Honors with one being in Surgery or Medicine then you are in good shape. Some programs look for a certain number of Honors in clinical clerkships as a cutoff for interviews so the more the better. HP is better than P so several HPs can help. No honors is a red flag at some programs but does not mean you cannot match radiology. It will hurt you at the more academic programs.

Research: Any is good, more is better, it does not have to been in radiology but you better understand what you have done because it will come up on interview days. To have a shot at Harvard programs, Duke, Wash U it is a must. Most other places, not as big of deal but still helpful and something they like to see. Some respected university programs do not put a high value on it and actually look for residents with just a passing interest. A PhD and to a lesser extent MS is a great addition to the application and will generate interest from academic programs.

Location: As a rule, if not a coast or big city program, the closer you are the better it is. Some programs will only interview applicants within a 2-3 state radius. Really competitive programs (eg MGH, BW, BI, Duke, Wash U, Cali programs, U Penn and Hopkins) will interview the all stars from all over without much concern over location.

Aways: Can help you decide if the program is right for you and will show your interest. Almost every person I know that has done an away was offered an interview. It can hurt if you leave the wrong impression but seems to help more people than it hurts. About 1/2 the people I know that have done aways have ended up residents at one of those programs. This is especially helpful if you are a great person to be around and on the cusp of competitiveness for that program or from an area/school that does not normally match to that program.

Program rankings: There are a bunch of lists around. There is one used on this site that in absolute terms was not very reliable but in relative terms was not bad. The reality is that some programs have a great reputation that may or may not be justified but may not be best for the applicant. The bottom line is that the individual needs to choose a place that provides the best learning environment for them, be that more/less research, more/less call, more/less pressure, big city/small city, academic-research program/pure clinical program etc. Know yourself and what kind of environment you need to be your best and what your ultimate goals are (for example, does the program have a Fellowship in your likely field), and rank according to those criteria for you.

Others from current or past classes please add your own perspective.

:thumbup:

Agree with above...
Time and time again, people ask the same questions. That was the basis for the First what are my chances FAQ.

hey i read all the posts in this thread, its really informative. dont worry im not gonna repeat the what are my chances bit ive just been told different things about the exact hurdle of IMG status. I am a US citizen and am attending Saba University, 248 step 1, my rotations are going well so far. I've heard stories of people matching here and there (someone from Saba matched Yale this year) but I wanted to know exactly what Im up against as im pretty sure no program pays attention to grades achieved in a caribbean school except Step 1. Any input would be great....

thanks for the help

I'm a 31 yr old male. What are my chances of becoming a Radiologist starting from step 1. I will be starting school this fall, out of HS I went directly to the USMC now I want to become what I've always wanted to be. What are my chances and do you think it's to late in life.

I'm a 31 yr old male. What are my chances of becoming a Radiologist starting from step 1. I will be starting school this fall, out of HS I went directly to the USMC now I want to become what I've always wanted to be. What are my chances and do you think it's to late in life.

It's never too late. If you want to do it, then go for it. You don't want to regret anything later in life. Just keep in mind that it's a long road and full of sacrifices, but then again you went to the military, so I'm sure you know all about sacrifice and hard work.

Good luck.

I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about getting a "late" start. If anything, your life experiences are going to be an asset.

Did you mean you're starting college or medical school this fall?

I will be starting from ground zero. I will be a 31 yr old first year student and boy am I nervous. 9 years in the USMC didn't prep me for this lol. To all of you who are living the dream or close to your dreams what would be your advice to me as far as to what to focus on, that will help me in the long run. I know this is going to be about a 15 yr. force march but who cares I want it so I got to get it right. Please give me some good advice I need it. I have thick skin so, be real with it. I really do admire all you younger folks out there making it happen, wish I would have started sooner but I have one title that I will never give back. Now its on to the next title.Thank you.

Yes I'm just getting on the track to run this race. What should I major and minor in? As of now my major is biology.

Yes I'm just getting on the track to run this race. What should I major and minor in? As of now my major is biology.

You might want to talk to the pre-med advisor at your school to get the answers to these questions. In the worst case ask the pre-allo forum as that forum is more for questions like this that impact undergraduates. We're more here to talk with med students, residents, and attendings. For you, focus on getting into medical school first, THEN focus on Radiology if you're still interested in another 5 years or so.

I will answer though: major in whatever interests you the most. There are some classes you must take for med school (see your pre-med advisor for a list), but otherwise your major is up to you.

You might want to talk to the pre-med advisor at your school to get the answers to these questions. In the worst case ask the pre-allo forum as that forum is more for questions like this that impact undergraduates. We're more here to talk with med students, residents, and attendings. For you, focus on getting into medical school first, THEN focus on Radiology if you're still interested in another 5 years or so.

I will answer though: major in whatever interests you the most. There are some classes you must take for med school (see your pre-med advisor for a list), but otherwise your major is up to you.

Dude, never ask anything in the pre-allo forums if you want reasonable answers. Those people are lunatics.

Just talk to your pre-med advisor. Worry about rads once you get into med school.

OK guys, Step 1 scores came out just yesterday (Wednesday), and this was the usual mass-score reporting as it happens each year. Be prepared for new "what are my chances" posts. I'll start:

I scored 239/99 as a US IMG. No research, no EC's, haven't started any rotations yet. I just want to know if I should automatically de-select Rads as a potential interest in the future. Thanks for bearing with us in the upcoming weeks/months!

OK guys, Step 1 scores came out just yesterday (Wednesday), and this was the usual mass-score reporting as it happens each year. Be prepared for new "what are my chances" posts. I'll start:

I scored 239/99 as a US IMG. No research, no EC's, haven't started any rotations yet. I just want to know if I should automatically de-select Rads as a potential interest in the future. Thanks for bearing with us in the upcoming weeks/months!

Why would ANYONE automatically de-select Radiology with a 239? Please tell me you have at least researched the NRMP match statistics for Radiology.

https://services.aamc.org/Publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.displayForm&prd_id=197&prv_id=238

If you know your application is weak in other areas (research, ec's, etc.), get to work on addressing those. If you have not even started rotations yet, I think it's a little early to throw in the towel, particularly with a solid Step 1 score.

Why would ANYONE automatically de-select Radiology with a 239? Please tell me you have at least researched the NRMP match statistics for Radiology.

https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=197&prv_id=238

If you know your application is weak in other areas (research, ec's, etc.), get to work on addressing those. If you have not even started rotations yet, I think it's a little early to throw in the towel, particularly with a solid Step 1 score.

The reason I wonder if I should write it off is because I am a foreign medical student. I have heard of horror stories of FMG's with double 99's still not being able to match Ortho or Rads (two fields I'm really looking into now). I know that rocking aways or electives in Rads is really key, but I also understand that as future FMG I will have to score higher than the similarly-qualified AMG to secure the match. I did beat the mean, but only by 4 points, so there's my dilemma.

And yes, I've been all over that document for the past few days like a hawk!

The reason I wonder if I should write it off is because I am a foreign medical student. I have heard of horror stories of FMG's with double 99's still not being able to match Ortho or Rads (two fields I'm really looking into now). I know that rocking aways or electives in Rads is really key, but I also understand that as future FMG I will have to score higher than the similarly-qualified AMG to secure the match. I did beat the mean, but only by 4 points, so there's my dilemma.

And yes, I've been all over that document for the past few days like a hawk!

I completely respect your concern. My point was that it is way too early to give up entirely on one of your first choices. If you had an unbelievably poor performance on Step 1, that would be one thing...

230 step 1
Top 15% of Class-Psi Sigma Alpha
DO student
1 first author public health publication
2 posters at conferences
Normal extra-curriculars, service, TA, Tutor, clubs, bla bla bla
Second language spanish

Most important of all--intramural basketball champion at school. lol

Hi,

As a couple of other posters, I am finding myself really drawn to radiology, after doing an elective during intern year. This is troublesome, as I could jeapordize my PGY 2 position in going about a switch. I don't really know how to begin.

Do any radiology programs have openings, so that I wouldn't have to take a year off? How would one go about finding this out?

Financially, this would be very troublesome, as I already interviewed all over last year for the other field. I likely couldn't go on as many interviews this year, financially speaking.

But, it seems like it might be best to follow something if I think it would make me the most happy, thus also benefiting patients.

Any input or experience with this would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

I'm wondering what my chances are of matching into a decent community program in the NY/NJ/PA areas.

- My step I was a 219
- I'm in mid-bottom quartile of my class in a middle-tier school.
- Mostly Passes and High Passes during first three years with occasional Honors (Pass in medicine, surgery, peds, ob).
- I'm taking Step II this month.
- Plenty of Research before med school but no publications

I realize that this is not competitive for radiology. This is why I'm not considering academic programs. I'm just curious about where I stand in terms of community-based programs...it may be a long shot, but is it really better to do research/apply after intern year instead? I'm a female and delaying for another year would not be my preferred option.

You have a strong chance... I also wouldn't count out academic programs either... I met plenty sub 220 applicants during the trail last year. I don't know of one who didn't match.

I'm wondering what my chances are of matching into a decent community program in the NY/NJ/PA areas.

- My step I was a 219
- I'm in mid-bottom quartile of my class in a middle-tier school.
- Mostly Passes and High Passes during first three years with occasional Honors (Pass in medicine, surgery, peds, ob).
- I'm taking Step II this month.
- Plenty of Research before med school but no publications

I realize that this is not competitive for radiology. This is why I'm not considering academic programs. I'm just curious about where I stand in terms of community-based programs...it may be a long shot, but is it really better to do research/apply after intern year instead? I'm a female and delaying for another year would not be my preferred option.