exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonds756

6 time MVP
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a rad onc attending recently tell me that I shouldn't go watch brachy's until I had to in order to minimize my radiation exposure. I have done a lit search and can't seem to find much info about bad consequences of being a rad onc md. Could anyone comment?? Is there great risk involved? (if I were a girl would I not want to get pregnant near the rad onc wing so my kids wouldn't have 3 heads??)

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

I find it disturbing an attending would tell you that as the whole current practice of brachy is with the understanding of risk of exposure. If you go into rad onc you will be doing those procedures (at least in residency) and your cumumlative dose probably wont be much different from what you get on a rotation. There are specific guidelines as to the explosure you can get safely (I wont go into it here) but if you follow the usual recommended precautions, I see no reason you shouldnt be involved. If you are currently pregnant however, I would avoid them.

Members don't see this ad :)
so what you are saying is that if i want to go into ra onc, i shouldplan on being pregnant before or after residency but not during. that's rough.

No, not at all; Im sayin gthat while pregnant, particularly in the first two trimesters, you should avoid brachytherapy procedures. many people get pregnant as rad onc docs. However it should be planned.

As for data on rt safety; Check out Hall's book, radiobiology for the radiobiologist, and his chapter on i t. He writes quite well. I would not avoid brachy as a student if I were you. All the best,

thanx for the clarification, a misunderstanding on my part