Expansion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ralph says you guys don’t need jobs and the only doctor we need in the world are pediatricians.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I wish I could find it, but there is an essay/theory I once read (maybe an economist?) that one of the most dangerous things to the stability of a society is an over educated but under employed segment of young people.

The ?irony? here to me is that phantom "anti-trust lawsuit threat" about contracting spots isn't a real thing. It was a made up excuse to "protect" them from legal issues that didn't exist.

What may very well be a real thing is an under employed segment of highly educated rad oncs looking at legal recourse for residency programs expanding slots with the evidence right there in the medical journals about a declining role for radiation...and expansion causing them and society ("I could have been a primary care doc instead") injury.

Of course it would probably result in nothing but attorney fees ...but it's in my Overton window of what could happen in the next decade.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I wish I could find it, but there is an essay/theory I once read (maybe an economist?) that one of the most dangerous things to the stability of a society is an over educated but under employed segment of young people.

The ?irony? here to me is that phantom "anti-trust lawsuit threat" about contracting spots isn't a real thing. It was a made up excuse to "protect" them from legal issues that didn't exist.

What may very well be a real thing is an under employed segment of highly educated rad oncs looking at legal recourse for residency programs expanding slots with the evidence right there in the medical journals about a declining role for radiation...and expansion causing them and society ("I could have been a primary care doc instead") injury.

Of course it would probably result in nothing but attorney fees ...but it's in my Overton window of what could happen in the next decade.
i would contribute heavily to crowdsourcing such a lawsuit or any campaign in congress against ROCR

Members don't see this ad :)
A group of unemployed new grads suing SCAROP for intentionally overtraining to flood the market and salary suppression would have a pretty delicious discovery phase.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

Like the unemployed lawyers who sued lower tier law schools for being jobless after they graduated a decade ago

Last edited:
Like the unemployed lawyers who sued lower tier law schools for being jobless after the graduated a decade ago
yes. but I think the law schools were cooking the books with false "employment" stats for their graduates.

...wait a second, that sounds familiar.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe we need a thread regarding the opposite of this one? First it was Anderson and Cleveland clinic, now maybe Emory doing the right thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Could be more like Emory realizing they should contract after that shameful year that they SOAPed 4/4 spots but I'll take the wins anywhere we can get them. Maybe the infusion of a new, non-boomer chair is helping a change in departmental mindset.

IMO if you have 3 or more spots per year and EVER SOAP 100% of them, you should immediately have to shut down one spot per year.
If you have 2 spots per year and SOAP 100% of them for 2 consecutive years, you should immediately have to shut down one spot per year.
If you SOAP 1 spot per year for 3 consecutive years, you lose it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by FOX TV

We shouldn't even have programs open now that only match one per year (or the alternating 1-2 spots)
There simply isn't a need, why not consolidate in other places

Members don't see this ad :)
Fun project

www.soapscore.com

Cost of domain: $11.99

A persistent record of SOAP usage by residency programs, with visuals

Annual graphics and an analysis of specialties, job market, as well as problems with individual institutions. Emailed and hand delivered to the deans of the top 50 medical schools, as well as MS1’s

Monetization: ads

Maybe we need a thread regarding the opposite of this one? First it was Anderson and Cleveland clinic, now maybe Emory doing the right thing?

It will be interesting to see if this is true, ie the program formally contracts the available ACGME approved position. Or if this is a in house program level soft contraction where the spot can be filled at any time in future cycles.

If a program decides not to increase by one position can you say that’s basically the same as contracting by one?

Surprised about comment about upmc being better, was thinking about this.

RadOncs’s teacher (like everyone in the world gets taught by him) left the program. Heath seems like a nice guy. The other faculty .. are they teaching in a way to make up for the loss? When I was there he was only one teaching, except for some minor contributions.

I wonder if it’s “better” because no expectations to excel …

Reactions: 2 users
Surprised about comment about upmc being better, was thinking about this.

RadOncs’s teacher (like everyone in the world gets taught by him) left the program. Heath seems like a nice guy. The other faculty .. are they teaching in a way to make up for the loss? When I was there he was only one teaching, except for some minor contributions.

I wonder if it’s “better” because no expectations to excel …
I heard Dwight was a great teacher ?

I heard Dwight was a great teacher ?
Um… I like Dr Heron a lot

When I was on a rotation with him, he was always traveling and doing admin. He was running a 30 center network (the chair doesn’t manage operations), traveling the world, he simply didn’t have the bandwidth.

I believe before my time you may be right

Reactions: 1 users
Dwight Heron seems like he would’ve been a great mentor, someone to sit down and talk through goals and action plans, and someone to advocate for you.

Dwight Heron seems like he would’ve been a great mentor, someone to sit down and talk through goals and action plans, and someone to advocate for you.
(cough) multimillion dollar discrimination lawsuit and red light therapy centers touting health benefits...

Signs of greatness...

(borat screams NOT!)

he's in an admin position, im sure doing just fine money wise, they must have opened up the vault for him