Expansion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1111261

I have it from a faculty that Wash U is adding 2 residency positions.

Discuss.

EDIT: Adding 1 to balance their class size

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean Hallahan literally wrote the editorial.... what 10 years ago now, experienced ZERO reprecrussions professionally or personally, so why the hell wouldn't he continue to enact his plan?

The only way this stops is if this guy gets some reprecussions.

Everyone get yer pitchforks - Time to cancel another chair, SDN.

Time to add another chair to the 'SDN cancelled me!!11' tracker.

/s

Last edited:
DH has been promoting the “best leadership” in our field in his department. It is only reasonable that this individual will continue to lead!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I mean Hallahan literally wrote the editorial.... what 10 years ago now, experienced ZERO reprecrussions professionally or personally, so why the hell wouldn't he continue to enact his plan?

The only way this stops is if this guy gets some reprecussions.

Everyone get yer pitchforks - Time to cancel another chair, SDN.

Time to add another chair to the 'SDN cancelled me!!11' tracker.
I think it might be time for washu to drop the soap and find out. This is the way

Okay

I have been informed they are going to 17 to “normalize” to 4 in a class.

And, the following year will drop back to 16.

It’s still an expansion. They nearly didn’t fill last year. Why not just leave it, for the good of the specialty?

It seems like a lot of faculty fled wash u in past year or so. Anyone care to weigh in?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone remember the last exodus circa 2004?

Let me ask you this: what remained?

Therein lies the answer grasshopper.
Wow you solved a mystery for me -

Around that time, like 2007/2008, I was warned to stay away from WashU RadOnc.

I had literally just discovered RadOnc. No idea about any of this. No idea they even had a RadOnc residency.

It's why it stuck with me all this time. It had never occurred to me that I needed to think about "bad" residency programs.

But that explains why it was salient enough at the time that someone said something to a young med student, haha.

Wow you solved a mystery for me -

Around that time, like 2007/2008, I was warned to stay away from WashU RadOnc.

I had literally just discovered RadOnc. No idea about any of this. No idea they even had a RadOnc residency.

It's why it stuck with me all this time. It had never occurred to me that I needed to think about "bad" residency programs.

But that explains why it was salient enough at the time that someone said something to a young med student, haha.
was warned about wash u even the before that. In fact, I don’t think they were in the match back then. they suspended a faculty member (grigsby?) because he was such an -hole. Had a close colleague who was heavily pressured to stay on by perez as instructor for 80k in the early 2000s.

Okay

It’s still an expansion. They nearly didn’t fill last year. Why not just leave it, for the good of the specialty?

Well, lets review the facts and Ill share my pertinent experience. A while back, the chair published that he plans to increase trainee spots because faculty salaries were rising. I do not work there, but would agree that they are struggling to hire based on my experience on my way out and calls from prospective applicants since that time.

When I was leaving, there was very vigorous discussion about pay. For what it's worth, I did not negotiate when leaving and was honest with them that money could not fix my desire to leave.

As I was leaving, I tried to buy the SCAROP report. The current president-elect at the time was my direct boss there. ASTRO altered their website to make it seem like I was never eligible to buy it.

The SCAROP report leaked.

Now the residency program is going to expand.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Well, lets review the facts and Ill share my pertinent experience. A while back, the chair published that he plans to increase trainee spots because faculty salaries were rising. I do not work there, but would agree that they are struggling to hire based on my experience on my way out and calls from prospective applicants since that time.

When I was leaving, there was very vigorous discussion about pay and it seemed to me that many junior and mid-career faculty expressed concerns about being underpaid. For what it's worth, I did not negotiate when leaving and was honest with them that money could not fix my desire to leave.

As I was leaving, I tried to buy the SCAROP report. The current president-elect at the time was my direct boss there. ASTRO altered their website to make it seem like I was never eligible to buy it.

Since that time, I have heard there has been a lot more fighting about pay and contracts. This is just rumor, take it with a grain of salt, but I wasn't surprised to hear the rumor.

The SCAROP report leaked.

Now the residency program is going to expand.

But if faculty are leaving then how can they continue to expand?

Some of their grads will be forced to stay on because of the job market.
It cannot be overstated how much pressure there is for residents to stay on as faculty at their institution these days. My current institution has struggled immensely to recruit new grads from outside institutions despite many efforts. It’s honestly embarrassing. If they couldnt get their own grads to stay on, they would have almost no faculty. I’ve heard a certain well-known chair would summon residents to his office at the beginning of their PGY5 year, and hand them a contract. If they said no, the offer was off the table. Rather than test the deteriorating job market, many succumbed to the hot seat and signed.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
It cannot be overstated how much pressure there is for residents to stay on as faculty at their institution these days. My current institution has struggled immensely to recruit new grads from outside institutions despite many efforts. It’s honestly embarrassing. If they couldnt get their own grads to stay on, they would have almost no faculty. I’ve heard a certain well-known chair would summon residents to his office at the beginning of their PGY5 year, and hand them a contract. If they said no, the offer was off the table. Rather than test the deteriorating job market, many succumbed to the hot seat and signed.
The residents are often a known quantity and now can get them for cheap. Wouldn’t surprise me if chairs have betting pools “ re how many residents they could snag as “instructorss” or fellows.

Reactions: 2 users
Love it! This is the way.

Quick google search shows that very few of their junior faculty are recent grads from the program...

This is funny because my program couldn't get rid of me fast enough

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Similar experience. We all said "no". Made for a "fun" final year, assuming you think extremely passive aggressive childlike behavior from a grown man is "fun" (which I do). Also, got the whole "it'd be a shame if I made a phone call" talk.

Reactions: 3 users
Similar experience. We all said "no". Made for a "fun" final year, assuming you think extremely passive aggressive childlike behavior from a grown man is "fun" (which I do). Also, got the whole "it'd be a shame if I made a phone call" talk.
i signed early in PGY-5. was awesome. Gave 0 **** my PGY-5 year

• Care
Okay

17 residents?

Do they even have 17 faculty?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Okay

Per my other thread documenting this and the acgme website:

Washington University est 1971. 16 resident positions in 2019 and 16 in 2023. Temporary increase to 17 from 2023 to 2024. Currently 16 total residents enrolled.

So probably nothing, ie not permanently expanding their resident compliment.

Per my other thread documenting this and the acgme website:

Washington University est 1971. 16 resident positions in 2019 and 16 in 2023. Temporary increase to 17 from 2023 to 2024. Currently 16 total residents enrolled.

So probably nothing, ie not permanently expanding their resident compliment.
why expand to 17? at all in this environment

A bunch of programs do these temporary expansions for whatever reason. Probably mostly has to do with accommodating residents with significant others that match to different institutions for residency/fellowship or those that need to be in the area for family issues. I think they are almost always done to allow for transfer from one program to another so it doesn't add to the overall number of people that the specialty is training.

Is this funny to any of you?
1692110455621.png

• Angry
  • Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
Is this funny to any of you?
View attachment 375685
I (and many others) have repeated this a hundred times- that radiation wont disappear but that its footprint is receding. This seems obvious as hell, but even SK seems to disagree, and the astro workforce model forecasts 10% RVU growth/dpc despite huge bolus of new docs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
He's 45

Recht is a boomer. Speers has substantial conflicts of interest in industry trying to develop molecular testing to predict who can forgo radiation therapy in breast cancer.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I just said this is a thing you can say in your faculty lounge and laugh with colleagues. It's not the thing you say publicly. Don't say the quiet parts out loud.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I just said this is a thing you can say in your faculty lounge and laugh with colleagues. It's not the thing you say publicly. Don't say the quiet parts out loud.
Normally I would agree with you, but astro has been so flat out misleading, that everything needs to come out in the open. Fake workfore report is 1000x more indefensible. Harvard have been very honest over the years abt this issue. First time I heard abt expansion was from zeitman

Last edited: