etsu interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
November 17th....I have an interview invite this day. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

So I was at the ETSU interview yesterday and wanted to see what others who were there thought. Any opinions from yesterday?

If anyone stayed after for the voluntary sessions please share the gist of what was discussed?

Thank you to all!

I thought the administration was very optimistic about the direction of the pharmacy school, program, students, student opportunities while in school, and after graduation. I felt they did a great job of taking the why not ETSU thoughts and answering them head on.

I will definitely have a tough decision to make.

Look forward to hearing others experiences!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I was at the ETSU interview yesterday and wanted to see what others who were there thought. Any opinions from yesterday?

If anyone stayed after for the voluntary sessions please share the gist of what was discussed?

Thank you to all!

I thought the administration was very optimistic about the direction of the pharmacy school, program, students, student opportunities while in school, and after graduation. I felt they did a great job of taking the why not ETSU thoughts and answering them head on.

I will definitely have a tough decision to make.

Look forward to hearing others experiences!

I was there, as was dr2b2014. I spoke with him briefly... apologies for being super talkative, but I was shaking in my boots.

I'll just say that the whole day was extremely impressive and leave it at that. I came in with high expectations and they were definitely met. I really hope I get an offer.

I did stay after for the residency info session with the assistant dean, which I also discussed while eating lunch with one of the faculty. I didn't learn much new information, but for 20% of ETSU's first class find residencies all over the place is pretty cool. He thinks that residencies will become more common in pharmacy and that although they don't greatly increase your salary, they make you extremely competitive for a job in your field... i.e. something that you find particularly interesting/challenging/fun.

I was there, as was dr2b2014. I spoke with him briefly... apologies for being super talkative, but I was shaking in my boots.

I'll just say that the whole day was extremely impressive and leave it at that. I came in with high expectations and they were definitely met. I really hope I get an offer.

I did stay after for the residency info session with the assistant dean, which I also discussed while eating lunch with one of the faculty. I didn't learn much new information, but for 20% of ETSU's first class find residencies all over the place is pretty cool. He thinks that residencies will become more common in pharmacy and that although they don't greatly increase your salary, they make you extremely competitive for a job in your field... i.e. something that you find particularly interesting/challenging/fun.

Thank you for the feedback! It will be interesting to see how the admissions committee comes down on it. I met or knew a couple of other people who were attending or had graduated from UNC at ETSU on wednesday.

So do you and the other person you mentioned plan on ETSU being a top choice or somewhere else?

Thank you for the feedback! It will be interesting to see how the admissions committee comes down on it. I met or knew a couple of other people who were attending or had graduated from UNC at ETSU on wednesday.

So do you and the other person you mentioned plan on ETSU being a top choice or somewhere else?

I can't speak for him, but it's my top choice after what I saw Wednesday. We'll see how it shakes out I guess.

Oh yeah, definitely my first choice! Does anyone else from the 11/3 interview think we'll get a phone call on Wednesday like the first interview group received?

Last edited:
They made it sound like we would all get letters, but everyone else got calls so I don't know.

I interviewed 10/13 and they said we would all get letters, but I the dean called me exactly one week later. I think if you don't get accepted, you don't get called but get a letter in the mail (should be friday).

Gotcha. Not knowing is already killing me haha.

@Everyone- How did you tackle a 750 character response? I just finished mine....the restraints limited my portriat of a story.

I'm not too sure if anyone will be getting calls tomorrow or not because I heard Dr Calhoun will be out of the office until Friday...I dunno

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope I guess we'll just have to wait on the mail :(

Hang in there everyone..I'm sure you'll get in!

Spoke too soon... I talked to Dean Calhoun about 45 minutes ago :D. I'll see y'all in JC next fall!

Congrats!! I will be there too. With a class size of 80 I'm sure we'll know each other pretty well in a few years! Are you movin up from Chapel Hill? Are you living on campus or going to rent an apartment/house?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it already but trying not to overlook the last semester and a half haha. I'm graduating from UNC in May but I'll be living in Winston Salem (home) over the summer. I don't know where I'll live yet, but I'd like to be close enough to campus to commute by bike.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it already but trying not to overlook the last semester and a half haha. I'm graduating from UNC in May but I'll be living in Winston Salem (home) over the summer. I don't know where I'll live yet, but I'd like to be close enough to campus to commute by bike.

Are you the guy I met who has the father who graduated from GA Tech? If so I was the other guy in your small group break out session. Either way congrats on getting in!

Congrats!! I will be there too. With a class size of 80 I'm sure we'll know each other pretty well in a few years! Are you movin up from Chapel Hill? Are you living on campus or going to rent an apartment/house?

Congrats to you as well!

So would everyone assume that because I didn't receive a phone call I must be on hold? I can't stand waiting on the mail!!

So would everyone assume that because I didn't receive a phone call I must be on hold? I can't stand waiting on the mail!!

I would not make that assumption. I am sure you can call if you really don't want to wait. Let them know you have some decisions to make and you were hoping to find out ASAP.

Last edited:
Hold category 2011, I'm thrilled!...wtf?

Are you the guy I met who has the father who graduated from GA Tech? If so I was the other guy in your small group break out session. Either way congrats on getting in!

That's me. The small group was fun. I appreciate it... how'd it turn out for you, if you don't mind me asking?

dr2b14 said:
Hold category 2011, I'm thrilled!...wtf?

I hate that for you man. Small consolation, but it's not over by any means.

Got my call from Dean Calhoun about an hour and a half after I left the interview :thumbup:

Got my call from Dean Calhoun about an hour and a half after I left the interview :thumbup:

Congratulations! I know there were 2 interviewees in the Nov. 3rd group that Dean Calhoun called on the way home as well!

Who if anyone from the 11/3 interview group or anyother interview group for that matter accepted and paid the class reservation fee?

I sent mine on wednesday.

I sent mine last Friday (I think) and got an email on Tuesday saying that they received it.

I sent mine last Friday (I think) and got an email on Tuesday saying that they received it.

I hope you end up here for our sake! However, for yours I hope you end up somewhere else!

Ha, thanks. I really think I'll end up at ETSU though.

For everyone still deciding, my mom works in a NICU and an ETSU grad is interning there now (not sure if he's on a residency or what), and the staff pharmacist there was singing his praises. Said he was "more than prepared".

its unexpected but there is definitely something special about etsu. Has anyone interviewed here and not fallen in love with it?

its unexpected but there is definitely something special about etsu. Has anyone interviewed here and not fallen in love with it?

I went into the interview trying to think of reasons to go to this school, and I when I left JC I was struggling to find reasons not to go here. It's amazing there. I really didn't want to leave the place haha. I'll be playing ping pong all night.

Did anyone from the 11-17 interviews get a phone call today? I haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully the dean went on early holiday and isn't around to make the calls. Guess I'll find out Saturday or Monday via the mail.

I received a small envelope in the mail yesterday. There are some good and bad associations with this failure to matriculate. The lesson I've learned is to be more specific when verbally communicating. I think that is where I failed in marketing myself as an outstanding candidate. On a positive note, I can now quit obsessing about not knowing where I stand with this COP. Concluding, congratulations to all accepted candidates. Also, for those that have been placed on standby, I'm not sure how this will progress due to the obscure details that were provided. I hope we all find a COP that is equivalent in awesomeness to ETSU.

my acceptance letter was in a small envelope...so did you get waitlisted? they pulled a lot of people off last year so dont lose hope (assuming they didnt reject you).

my acceptance letter was in a small envelope...so did you get waitlisted? they pulled a lot of people off last year so dont lose hope (assuming they didnt reject you).

I am on hold. Also, I don't believe the waitlist pool will be so lucky this year considering ETSU is accredited now. Statistically speaking, my chances are slim.....but I've found resolve with my station and I'm proud to say I had an interview.

Does anyone have an interview on the 15th this coming Wednesday?

Interviewing Dec. 15th. Anyone know how much the deposit for the seat is?

Just got my acceptance call from the dean! I interviewed on 12/15. Looks like a really nice program. I don't think that Johnson City is for everyone though.

Hey guys...I'm interviewing at ETSU on Jan. 13th! :) It will be my first interview EVER and I'm so so so nervous! Does anyone have any tips? Will I have to write an essay during the interview process? I'm so afraid my mind will go blank!

I received a small envelope in the mail yesterday. There are some good and bad associations with this failure to matriculate. The lesson I've learned is to be more specific when verbally communicating. I think that is where I failed in marketing myself as an outstanding candidate. On a positive note, I can now quit obsessing about not knowing where I stand with this COP. Concluding, congratulations to all accepted candidates. Also, for those that have been placed on standby, I'm not sure how this will progress due to the obscure details that were provided. I hope we all find a COP that is equivalent in awesomeness to ETSU.

I am still thinking of submitting my application for ETSU and i was wondering if you don't mind giving your stats. Tat could be helpful deciding if i should go ahead and submit for this school. Thanks in advance.

Also, what did u mean by being specific during the interview?

I am still thinking of submitting my application for ETSU and i was wondering if you don't mind giving your stats. Tat could be helpful deciding if i should go ahead and submit for this school. Thanks in advance.

Also, what did u mean by being specific during the interview?

Stats: cGPA=3.5, sGPA=3.75 and PCAT=60(comp.)

1) During my interview I did not elaborate on my answers to extensively address the questions. Also, my interviewers did not have follow up questions to further probe my statements. It's not like I was completely daft, but I totally lacked gravitas because I did not mentally prepare.
2) You should totally apply. This school is awesome. From the aesthetics of the building to the awesome faculty!
3) Best of luck getting in!

Hey guys...I'm interviewing at ETSU on Jan. 13th! :) It will be my first interview EVER and I'm so so so nervous! Does anyone have any tips? Will I have to write an essay during the interview process? I'm so afraid my mind will go blank!

There's no essay.....but we did get Chick-fil-A for lunch. "Yum-O!" -Rachael Ray

well that's a little burden that's been lifted...I think too hard about what to write to compose an excellent essay on the spot!

So how did you prepare for the interview? All I've done to prepare is look over the interview feedback section and think about answers I would give to all the questions posted....I wonder if that will be enough? :confused:

well that's a little burden that's been lifted...I think too hard about what to write to compose an excellent essay on the spot!

So how did you prepare for the interview? All I've done to prepare is look over the interview feedback section and think about answers I would give to all the questions posted....I wonder if that will be enough? :confused:

I didn't prepare for this interview. Improv is great for jazz......but not pharm school interviews. With a bit of rehearsal you should be fine!

I got in! :) I'm excited....I have an interview at LUCOP on the 20th....since ETSU and Lipscomb were my top two choices I feel like I should go to the interview at least and give the school a chance...does anyone know anything about how these two schools compare (besides the obvious info that's available on their websites)....

i got in! :) i'm excited....i have an interview at lucop on the 20th....since etsu and lipscomb were my top two choices i feel like i should go to the interview at least and give the school a chance...does anyone know anything about how these two schools compare (besides the obvious info that's available on their websites)....

awesome!