Entering medical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J8J8J85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a medical school graduate with no background in medical research. I had no clinical research training in medical school. I want to start a research career. I would like to explain some points about my background which , I think , might put me in some advantage when applying for some positions. I have a strong background in mathematics and physics
For instance , I studied statistics , Information theory , topology , analysis, thermodynamics , among other things. I did this by independently by reading up on whatever I found myself interested in. I can provide a proof on job applications. For example , I got high physics GEE test score and I have been working as a TA in physics. I would like to ask your advice about how to start a research career in molecular medicine / clinical research / systems and network biology in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Find a lab that needs a research assistant. Work for them and try to get some pubs. Good luck.

I'm a medical school graduate with no background in medical research. I had no clinical research training in medical school. I want to start a research career. I would like to explain some points about my background which , I think , might put me in some advantage when applying for some positions. I have a strong background in mathematics and physics
For instance , I studied statistics , Information theory , topology , analysis, thermodynamics , among other things. I did this by independently by reading up on whatever I found myself interested in. I can provide a proof on job applications. For example , I got high physics GEE test score and I have been working as a TA in physics. I would like to ask your advice about how to start a research career in molecular medicine / clinical research / systems and network biology in the US.

Did you do any research in college?

Is it too late to take a gap year at your medical school to do research?

Find labs that do biological research that requires physics and mathematics. Examples are biophysics labs, systems biology labs, etc.

Read the research for each lab you're interested in.

Send a concise email to Principal Investigators whose labs' work interest you explaining your interest.