English Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So most DO schools state something like 6 hours of English at the college level is required. I have already taken an english course for 3 hours but by the time I graduate I will have taken over 40 hours of history credits, nearly all with substantive writing portions including 3 writing intensive seminars and a writing intensive Genetics lab. If I were to apply with only 3 hours of just plain "English" in spite of these courses, would this warrant an R? I apologize if this is a stupid question. Hope everyone is doing well during this time and staying healthy!

Members don't see this ad.

When you fill out your application, the school's pre-reqs will be displayed and you have to list what class you took that fulfills that requirement. I had a school tell me my application would not become complete until I fulfilled that requirement with a course they would accept and sometimes they list these out. Most schools also accept AP classes in HS (if you took the exam and got the credit). I would take another English class that schools accept (Intermediate Composition?) this summer and list it as a course in progress while you are applying. Much safer than applying without a requirement filled as they won't even process your app and English is just one of those classes most schools want to see 2 semesters of.

Reactions: 1 user
When you fill out your application, the school's pre-reqs will be displayed and you have to list what class you took that fulfills that requirement. I had a school tell me my application would not become complete until I fulfilled that requirement with a course they would accept and sometimes they list these out. Most schools also accept AP classes in HS (if you took the exam and got the credit). I would take another English class that schools accept (Intermediate Composition?) this summer and list it as a course in progress while you are applying. Much safer than applying without a requirement filled as they won't even process your app and English is just one of those classes most schools want to see 2 semesters of.
Very helpful, thank you for your input!!

Hi all,

So most DO schools state something like 6 hours of English at the college level is required. I have already taken an english course for 3 hours but by the time I graduate I will have taken over 40 hours of history credits, nearly all with substantive writing portions including 3 writing intensive seminars and a writing intensive Genetics lab. If I were to apply with only 3 hours of just plain "English" in spite of these courses, would this warrant an R? I apologize if this is a stupid question. Hope everyone is doing well during this time and staying healthy!

I minored in music history, so the majority of my classes for my minor were writing intensive. Do any of your history classes have a W in the course number? My music history classes had W listed in the course number for "writing," so I did not need to take an additional English class. You could also list a history class that fulfills the requirement on your application. If they question you about it, you can send in a syllabus outlining the writing requirement and they might accept the credit.