Electives during prelim year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexanderJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stephew, if you're still out there, or anyone else: what are the best electives to take during a transitional year internship? Should I take heme/onc, path, rads, rad onc as electives, or will I get more than enough of this material once I start my rad onc residency? Alternatively, I suppose I could take some electives that would prepare me for some moonlighting during my residency. What does everyone think, and what is everyone planning on doing for premlim year electives? Thanks.

P.S. this forum has kinda been dead for the past few months. Let's breathe some life back into it people!

Members don't see this ad.

hey, congrats! where did you match?

was there a reason why you chose transitional instead of medicine prelim?

alexanderj-

during your intern year, you should try to do the least amount of work possible. this year, i was working 90-100 hours/week on the wards so during my elective month, i did absolutely nothing. officially, i was doing "research" for 2 weeks, and "radiology" for 2 weeks.

seriously though, your intern year is hard enough, you will have plenty of time to learn during radonc and your ward months (unless you are doing a comm based prelim/transitional year).

my bad, i misread your post and thought you were doing a university based prelim year (where you only get 1 elective).

however in your case, there are a ton of things which you can do. radiology (specifically body ct or MR) and research are good electives. path/hemeonc medicine electives really arent directly applicable to radonc (if thats what you are lookin for). if your program will let you do a "studying elective", you can take your time and study for step 3 and get it out of the way.

hope this helps.