Elective in Japan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ammie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I earned myself a clinical elective in japan. Now I need to choose which university to go to. Cause we are given a choice.

I would like to go somewhere where there are some nice sightseeing opportunities and an interesting culture. Like festivals and such events. And good food too. However at the end of the day I would like to go to a good university.

This is the list of universities available,
Nihon University
Nippon Medical University
Tokyo Women's Medical University
Toho University
Osaka City University
Kansai Medical University
Kyoto Prefectural University
Hokkaido University
Sapporo Medical University
Fukushima Medical University
Jichi Medical University
Dokkyo Medical University
St. Marianna University
Tokai University
Kitazato University
Hamamatsu University
Fukuoka University
Univ of Occupational and Environmental Health (Sangyo) University
Asahikawa medical University
Kawasaki medical University
Shimane University
Kurume University
Miyazaki University
Oita University

Any information would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I went to Kyushu University in Fukuoka for a year during undergrad and I really enjoyed living in the city of Fukuoka...it's a medium-sized city with a fairly warm climate and friendly people. Plenty of festivals and culture, but less high-tech and urban than Tokyo or Osaka.

I also visited Oita during that time and it was also very nice, but a little more rural. Known for hot springs and nature.

I think geographically speaking, you might want to be in Kansai (Kansai univ, Osaka city) or Kantou (Tokyo women's etc.) so you can experience one of the big cities.

Hokkaido and Sapporo are very nice to live in as well, but far removed from the rest of the country, so if you want to travel around Japan that might be hard. Might be good to be in Hokkaido if you're going during the warm months!

Hi.
I am 4th year medical student, in east Europe. I would like to apply for a summer elective in Japan. (more in Kansai, like kyoto or osaka) But i can only speak a little japanese.:rolleyes:
any one have any idea where should i begin? or which places do i have chance?
Many many thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any language difficulty? I can speak just very little of Japanese. Besides, Tokyo Medical and Dental University is missing in the list. This one is truly excellent!

hallo,i want to have elective in japan, anyone have the list of hospital/university that have elective program for foreigner?thank you so much

I don't know i think you need to have a pre-arrangement with your medical school. If your medical school has a list it will be available.

hello,i will get my clinical elective in japan. i would like to go to a good university which have good plastic surgery department. These are the choice that i have:
juntendo university hospital
keio university hospital
toho university
Nagoya University School of Medicine.
which one is the better?please help me to choose them
thaks a lot

hello,i will get my clinical elective in japan. i would like to go to a good university which have good plastic surgery department. These are the choice that i have:
juntendo university hospital
keio university hospital
toho university
Nagoya University School of Medicine.
which one is the better?please help me to choose them
thaks a lot

Keio is probably the best, Nagoya is also good too. I'm going by general reputation, i don't know which is best for plastic surgery although generally you can't go wrong with the oldest uni in Japan and a National 7.

Who can please tell me some details of the requirements for apply for the elective study in Japan, such as language or something