Easter Egg: Never Do "CME" Again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWallnerus

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I applied for CME from the AMA by virtue of doing annual (weekly, really) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) through the ABR. Each week, I answer two online learning activity (OLA) questions to maintain ABR board certification.

I paid $30 to the AMA, gave them a date for 2021 (I chose it arbitrarily) and said I was doing MOC and maintaining board certification, and they gave me a nice shiny CME certificate for 60 Category 1 credit hours for 2021. I am unsure if you can do this forever/annually, but thought it might help someone.

If it does work every year, then simply doing OLA through the ABR should be all the CME you ever need for both state licensure requirements as well as ongoing ABR CME requirements. In other words, and I am not sure ABR has realized this, the ABR CME requirements are met simply by being compliant with MOC (SA-CMEs already gone) ... you don't need other CMEs (except those weird domestic violence, opioid, etc, CMEs some states have... can't help you there!)

Here is the AMA link (click "Claim Direct Credit"). Also of note, you get 10 CMEs for every article you publish; the AMA will give you certificates for that too (just send them a DOI!).

Happy Easter.

TFMVgiP.png

p1uuxOi.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
As someone board eligible not yet dealing with CME, why do we care about AMA CME credits? Isn't the ABR the only thing we need to maintain by doing the OLA questions?

(I genuinely don't understand how this works)

Reactions: 1 user
As someone board eligible not yet dealing with CME, why do we care about AMA CME credits? Isn't the ABR the only thing we need to maintain by doing the OLA questions?

(I genuinely don't understand how this works)
Not AMA CME credits per se, just 75 CME Category 1 CME credits every three years to maintain ABR compliance. And most state medical boards require 25 CMEs per year. But the “Easter egg” is that you can get these Category 1 CMEs just by doing the ABR’s OLA. Which then makes ABR’s CME requirements moot.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN-posts should be CME eligible

Reactions: 8 users
Get your tumor boards CME accredited and never worry about CME again

Reactions: 7 users
Tumor boards and chart rounds both CME accredited.... 3 hours a week.
Is your hospital approving chart rounds cme? We’re freestanding but contemplating how to get chart rounds accredited

• Haha
so technically to finish out this last year where we need CME, this easter egg is all that we'd need?

Does this only work for INITIAL certification plus MOC? The other option is "Continuing certification assessment", but that has an asterisk stating "Continuous certification assessment is eligible for direct credits for the following boards: American Board of Dermatology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, American Board of Plastic Surgery, American Board of Surgery." ABR isn't listed...

Does this only work for INITIAL certification plus MOC? The other option is "Continuing certification assessment", but that has an asterisk stating "Continuous certification assessment is eligible for direct credits for the following boards: American Board of Dermatology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, American Board of Plastic Surgery, American Board of Surgery." ABR isn't listed...
Correct, ABR not listed. However, I submitted as ABR MOC (initially certified looong time ago). And they approved it. Good Easter Egg.