Duke (160k) vs Kaiser

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotReal234

Reaction score
I am leaning towards Duke but interested in hearing thoughts and suggestions about this and I hope this thread can help someone in the future who is making a similar decision

I am interested in matching into Neurosurgery and potentially being involved with academic medicine. Growing up, I have always dreamed of living in California because of the warm weather and abundance of outdoor activities, and I would much rather live in Pasadena than Durham. However, I am heavily enticed by the prospects of attending an institution like Duke and what that would mean for my long-term career aspirations. Additionally, Duke would provide me with connections and research opportunities that I could leverage to be a strong applicant for Neurosurgery or another surgical subspecialty or competitive specialty if I do change my mind. The third-year research program at Duke is wonderful because I can dedicate an entire year to conducting research and getting publications. This could allow me to work in a lab in California, and establish connections that can help me match there. On the other hand, I don’t know if I can walk away from the incredible amount of money Kaiser is willing to provide me. A full-ride scholarship, while living in California? I don’t know if I can give that up. I have attempted to get a better sense of whether Kaiser can provide me with the resources necessary to be a competitive applicant for Neurosurgery, but I have not liked the responses I have received so far. It appears that the lack of a home Neurosurgery program will pose a problem for me. Ultimately, it would be a huge risk to attend Duke and potentially pivot from Neurosurgery and be saddled with $160,000 of student loan debt. It will also be a big risk to attend Kaiser and have trouble matching into the specialty I would like, and potentially lose out on one year of attending salary.

Duke (COA $160,000)

Pros

• Prestige - With P/F Step 1 this might be important (10%)
  • Research - I love the research year (14%)
  • P/F Pre-Clinical and Clinical - I have heard from students that this is not that important (1%)
  • Neurosurgery residency home program - Will set me up better to match into residency (25%)
50%

Cons
  • Location - Not a big fan of Durham, but maybe I should visit again
  • Cost - Huge and I don’t want to take out loans because my undergrad was free
Kaiser (COA $0)

Pros

• Location - I love California and I would like to live here as an adult and match to a residency program here. (18%)
  • Cost - FREE (30%)
  • Small class size - more individualized attention, and vested interest in seeing the new classes perform well (2%)
50%

Cons
  • Prestige - New medical school
  • Research - limited bench research opportunities, but I could get plugged in at Caltech?
  • H/HP/P/F Clinical - Graded clinicals might help me stand out on the contrary.
  • No home Neurosurgery residency - This will make getting mentorship, research, and shadowing opportunities difficult. Current M3 says this was a big challenge for them, but it should be easier for incoming students.
Factors

Prestige (10%)
Location ( 18%)
Cost (30%)
Neurosurgery residency (25%)
Research (14%)
Non-graded Clinical (1%)
Class Size (2%)

Summary: I am interested in Neurosurgery or other competitive surgical subspecialties but I would also like to live in California and have some financial freedom. Any thoughts and advice are truly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Kaiser sounds like the move for you! you sound like you value cost and location being in cali greatly, so financially and gut wise, can't go wrong with Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
I think the insane cost difference plus the location means that Kaiser is the best choice for you. I imagine it will take some more work to find neurosurgery mentorship, but you'll be able to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are dead set on Neurosurgery - I think you gotta go to Duke. 160 K is a sizeable amount of debt but it’s not gonna be impossible to pay off. Kaiser is too new imo to provide you with the same opportunities to match one of the hardest specialties to match into. I think it’s even gonna be harder since they don’t have a home program for Neurosurgery. My two cents

Reactions: 3 users
I’d go with Duke, 160k for one of the best medical schools in the country is worth it imo

Reactions: 2 users