DOs in radiation oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UHS05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input or experience as to how difficult it is for a DO to match into a good radiation oncology program. I have a PhD in cancer research and a 233/94 on the step I...owever, I keep getting conflicting views from my colleagues about a "pro MD bias". Any info with some program suggestions would be gratly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There may very well be a pro-MD bias- I don't know. At my institution, however, there are currently 2 DOs out of the 8 residents.

Grizzled

while there is no "pro-DO" bias, DO's exist happily within the field. A recent nominee for ASTRO pres is a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies...it always helps when you get viewpoints from people actually in the field...as opposed to my classmates or friends...:)

Check out Tom Merchant - DO and PhD. He exists happily at St. Jude in memphis. Very bright guy, and I never detected a hint of difference from the DO/MD aspect.

do's are happy in this field but their med school training usually points people towards a primary care field. also, since they do not 'teach' to the usmle, many do's have trouble with the steps and become limited with their career choices.

i know this is only an n of 10, but all my do friends are in primary care.