Does Peace Corps help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geoff Gruenewalt

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody spent time in the Peace Corps before being accepted to Med school? I have thought of doing this for many years, and have heard that it can greatly increase chances for admission. Please advise as I'm presently staring at a Peace Corps application.

Members don't see this ad.

Joining the Peace Corps is a great thing to do but not absolutely necessary. The 1st thing you need is good numbers. Without them, it doesn't matter what you do b/c you still have to demonstrate your ability to succeed in medical school. Back to the original question. Any activity in which you show a dedication to people (i.e. volunteering in a Children's Hospital, being a big brother/sister) is enough. Just make sure that you will enjoy whatever you choose and will give your time and effort to it.

I am not sure about Peace Corps, but I participated in AmeriCorps for two years and am quite certain that it made a difference in my application. Although some interviewers were not familiar with the program, many found it interesting and were quite curious about my experience. The program I worked with allowed me to reach outside of myself and the learn about the struggles in my community. Since I worked with an epidemic that many fear (HIV/AIDS), interviewers were especially interested in how information was presented to say - someone homeless versus a corporate type....and in one case the ethics of it all.

There are a few bonuses to AmeriCorps: the contract is one year in length and at the end of the program one receives an educational award to apply towards tuition or pay back student loans. The 'stipend' during the program is not much, but the experience can be amazing.

Some food for thought.....good luck with the decision.