California Health Corps asking for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea on what the role will be ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm headed to residency out that way...move in less than a month. Would be happy to go a bit early and work until orientation starts, if it meant helping out (could also use any money they'd be willing to offer to offset moving costs).

Edit: work for the Health Corps, not my residency. Though tbh I'd do either...I don't imagine the residency would have use for me, though. Most of the 'deployments' they mention on the registration site are for less than a month, so it'd work out for me.

Reactions: 3 users
I just registered. It's a bit wonky, says it's verifying my license despite selecting "Physician - Non-Licensed Student"

I'll update y'all if I get any more info from their application packet after verification

I'm headed to residency out that way...move in less than a month. Would be happy to go a bit early and work until orientation starts, if it meant helping out (could also use any money they'd be willing to offer to offset moving costs).

Edit: work for the Health Corps, not my residency. Though tbh I'd do either...I don't imagine the residency would have use for me, though. Most of the 'deployments' they mention on the registration site are for less than a month, so it'd work out for me.
Do it, let's do some COVID swabbing together!

Reactions: 1 users
Do it, let's do some COVID swabbing together!
I'd do it if they would pay to fly me out. Not sure if I would be any use for them tho.

Edit: Seems like you have to be a resident of California to register since it wont let me add any other state.

Now is the best time for us med students and doctors to band together and ask for more residency funding. Their lack of residency spots for the past 50 years is now biting them in the ass.

• Okay...
  • Hmm
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Now is the best time for us med students and doctors to band together and ask for more residency funding. Their lack of residency spots for the past 50 years is now biting them in the ass.

Reactions: 10 users
I just registered. It's a bit wonky, says it's verifying my license despite selecting "Physician - Non-Licensed Student"

I'll update y'all if I get any more info from their application packet after verification
You have to fill in the extra information...just click on that section and it will ask if you are boarded, etc. Super easy, since the answer to everything is 'No'.

Yeah man, I love getting paid less money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah man, I love getting paid less money.

I like your idea. Let’s decrease Medicaid funding and salary to each resident to $30K per year. We should be able to double our residency spots overnight.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if non-CA students are eligible? Seems like the app only allows a CA address?

Also it seems like you have to be a medical resident OR a nursing student, not a medical student. Unless I'm misreading something

So the Governor said they need a "surge of human capital." Look I'm not on the front lines, but I don't see how letting NPs practice independently increases the "human capital" if anything it just allocates capital to other places. (maybe that helps to?)

"Among the recommendations from the commission was allowing nurse practitioners to work independently of doctors. California is one of 28 states that require nurse practitioners to work under a doctor’s oversight, with previous legislative efforts to ease those restrictions failing amid concerns from the powerful doctor’s lobby, the California Medical Assn."

To the bolded: If only the nurses had a lobby.... A crushingly powerful lobby.... But it'd probably never be stronger than the "powerful doctor's lobby

/s

Hopefully this "powerful doctor's lobby" got a clause in there for our unmatched peeps to qualify to fight the fight...

• Wow
not worth risking an ICU visit over.
I'm already going to be exposed. In a few months, I will be working in a hospital in the heart of CA's outbreak. I will be exposed, especially if the problem is dire enough that they actually resort to recruiting medical students (which I doubt they'll get to). The difference is between that happening in April, with me maybe helping a few folks, and then getting my illness/quarantine out of the way prior to starting official intern year, and that happening in June, with me relying on good evals from my first 3mo of intern year to reapply for a categorical spot.

Yea and the CA governor said >50% are estimated to be infected before we stop having waves of COVID, as people working in healthcare settings for the next couple years it is just a matter of time. Might as well get it from helping out now, instead of getting knocked on your ass for 2 weeks in the middle of residency

Yea and the CA governor said >50% are estimated to be infected before we stop having waves of COVID, as people working in healthcare settings for the next couple years it is just a matter of time. Might as well get it from helping out now, instead of getting knocked on your ass for 2 weeks in the middle of residency
This is what i dont get about the but medical students are vectors crowd. There is literal community spread in 50% of the states. This is not a contained outbreak, this is everywhere.
Just hoping for a IGG test soon so we can start to get cleared.

I'm already going to be exposed. In a few months, I will be working in a hospital in the heart of CA's outbreak. I will be exposed, especially if the problem is dire enough that they actually resort to recruiting medical students (which I doubt they'll get to). The difference is between that happening in April, with me maybe helping a few folks, and then getting my illness/quarantine out of the way prior to starting official intern year, and that happening in June, with me relying on good evals from my first 3mo of intern year to reapply for a categorical spot.
did you only land a prelim spot? Thats crazy.

Except now it's out of control and there's no PPE. And it's been shown that you can get re-infected. In 3 months it will probably be a little more tame and they'll have PPE then. And they'd probably be paying you like $16/hr like New York is anyway, or slightly more. Not nearly enough to justify the risk.

did you only land a prelim spot? Thats crazy.
Yup. Super fun times.
I seriously am half considering going out and intentionally getting this damn thing so I don't have it hanging over my head during July-Sept. If I didn't have a partner, I would. So yeah, I'd take on the risk for $16/hr and the chance to actually be useful. Looks like they'd give me a place to stay, etc. during whatever time I was working, so I could take it on without exposing her.

Just reiterating that it seems you can be re-infected with this thing

Edit: not discounting your other reasons

Just reiterating that it seems you can be re-infected with this thing

Edit: not discounting your other reasons
I haven't seen any evidence that the reinfection is as serious as the original. Most of what I've seen is just positive tests again, maybe a mild fever. Am I missing some big cases? (Actual question, I'm not as up on the research/news as I could be, because so much of it seems to be BS and I don't like fretting over things I can't control anyway).

I mean, my alternative option is to sit at home in my underwear doing chart reviews for credits while feeling guilty that I'm a young healthy physician-in-training not helping during a national medical crisis. Add on top of this they'll pay me and it's def worth for me. I'd have probably registered even if it was volunteer.

Don't have official literature. Just going off anecdotal accounts from what I've read online. Hence "it seems".
This was the best summary I'd seen thus far. Not enough to sway my decision, frankly.

I mean, my alternative option is to sit at home in my underwear doing chart reviews for credits while feeling guilty that I'm a young healthy physician-in-training not helping during a national medical crisis. Add on top of this they'll pay me and it's def worth for me. I'd have probably registered even if it was volunteer.
Did you have to list a california address?
Don't have official literature. Just going off anecdotal accounts from what I've read online. Hence "it seems".
Take all of that with a grain of salt. There were instances where it was a presumed covid diagnosis and people got reinfected afterwards with positive testing , but lacked positive testing before.

Did you have to list a california address?

Take all of that with a grain of salt. There were instances where it was a presumed covid diagnosis and people got reinfected afterwards with positive testing , but lacked positive testing before.
Yes, but I'm from CA (never changed my state residency) and living in CA right now during the clinical suspension.

Around the country they're paying NPs and PAs 50k per month and RNs are getting 20k. Do not throw your health away for minimum wage, particularly as this crisis will be used to try and destroy our profession into the future. Don't be a disposable chump unless you've literally got a martyr fetish and derive physical pleasure from being abused.

50k per month is not minimum wage dude. Not even in Cali. Sounds like good money to me.

Around the country they're paying NPs and PAs 50k per month and RNs are getting 20k. Do not throw your health away for minimum wage, particularly as this crisis will be used to try and destroy our profession into the future. Don't be a disposable chump unless you've literally got a martyr fetish and derive physical pleasure from being abused.
I don't get it, my alternative is to make $0, how does it devalue my MD to work a few months at $15/hour? That's what lots of med students make/receive as stipend for their research years during med school.

I don't get it, my alternative is to make $0, how does it devalue my MD to work a few months at $15/hour? That's what lots of med students make/receive as stipend for their research years during med school.

Huh? Your alternative is to not risk your health for a pittance, it's pretty simple. They're paying nurses and midlevels hundreds of dollars per hour to get them to work during this pandemic, what makes their health more valuable than yours? You're not going to get to graduate residency earlier by doing this, you're not going to advance your career by doing this, you're not going to make a meaningful dent in your debt load by doing this. All you'll do is reinforce the longstanding operative assumption that doctors are the patsies of last resort who can always be taken advantage of by everyone. All that "for the patient" jazz might have worked back when physicians were respected and treated as professionals, but now that we're treated as a "cost center" by MBAs and seen as interchangeable with nurses we don't owe anyone anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
50k per month is not minimum wage dude. Not even in Cali. Sounds like good money to me.

I was specifically making a contrast between what they're paying midlevels to risk their health vs the minimum wage you'd be getting for doing the same under this California program. Ie, don't do it.

Huh? Your alternative is to not risk your health for a pittance, it's pretty simple. They're paying nurses and midlevels hundreds of dollars per hour to get them to work during this pandemic, what makes their health more valuable than yours? You're not going to get to graduate residency earlier by doing this, you're not going to advance your career by doing this, you're not going to make a meaningful dent in your debt load by doing this. All you'll do is reinforce the longstanding operative assumption that doctors are the patsies of last resort who can always be taken advantage of by everyone.
While sitting back reinforces the assumption that doctors are nothing but self serving money hungry folks.
Get a grip we dont have licensure , we are unlikely to be managing squat.
And in a world where 50-70% of the population is going to become seropositive with this sitting in a bunker isnt going to help you either.

Edit: Plus you should be encouraging it , if they are really going to go in and die, less doctors overall and your demand will go up. Weird how people always want to tell other people how to live their lives because somehow some decision doesnt sit well with their own personal beliefs. Let the person make their own determination of risk, reward and purpose.

Last edited:
While you reinforce the assumption that doctors are nothing but self serving money hungry folks.
Get a grip we dont have licensure , we are unlikely to be managing squat.
And in a world where 50-70% of the population is going to become seropositive with this sitting in a bunker isnt going to help you either.

We're already seen as money hungry so if you're going to do the time might as well do the crime. There is zero advantage to letting greedy MBAs and indolent midlevels make the easy bucks while we break our backs to "serve the public" only to then be accused of what the others are actually guilty of.

As to >50% catching SARS, that world is the world of the "herd immunity" approach which just about every country in the world is steering far away from. Even if we fail, you don't want to catch it right now as we're surging towards the peak of infections while still far away from getting to peak of preparedness. I'll delay my SARS as long as possible thank you very much, the great opportunity to make minimum wage notwithstanding.

Huh? Your alternative is to not risk your health for a pittance, it's pretty simple. They're paying nurses and midlevels hundreds of dollars per hour to get them to work during this pandemic, what makes their health more valuable than yours? You're not going to get to graduate residency earlier by doing this, you're not going to advance your career by doing this, you're not going to make a meaningful dent in your debt load by doing this. All you'll do is reinforce the longstanding operative assumption that doctors are the patsies of last resort who can always be taken advantage of by everyone. All that "for the patient" jazz might have worked back when physicians were respected and treated as professionals, but now that we're treated as a "cost center" by MBAs and seen as interchangeable with nurses we don't owe anyone anything.
Between the remaining year of clerkships and then intern year, I am essentially guaranteed to get COVID. Getting it now is actually preferable to then. Plus for me as a healthy young 20-something with no health concerns, I'm 99% either asymptomatic or a mild flu.

We're already seen as money hungry so if you're going to do the time might as well do the crime. There is zero advantage to letting greedy MBAs and indolent midlevels make the easy bucks while we break our backs to "serve the public" only to then be accused of what the others are actually guilty of.

As to >50% catching SARS, that world is the world of the "herd immunity" approach which just about every country in the world is steering far away from. Even if we fail, you don't want to catch it right now as we're surging towards the peak of infections while still far away from getting to peak of preparedness. I'll delay my SARS as long as possible thank you very much, the great opportunity to make minimum wage notwithstanding.
No one is forcing you to go. Thats the thing tho, we have zero marketable skills without a license. So your argument about greedy MBAs and midlevels makes zero sense. If i was boarded and they were offering me 15 dollars an hour you could make that argument. Plus people have the ability to make a risk reward analysis. Some people run towards a disaster to help and others sit back and ask what is in it for me. No moral judgement here.

Also do you seriously think with widespread community spread we are going to put this genie back in the bottle? At this point the area under the curve is going to be the same and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you a bridge, the whole point now is not to overwhelm the healthcare system to minimize unnecessary deaths that could be prevented.

I have read this is targeted towards IMGS or those who did not get a residency position. I personally will wait to see what my residency program says with regards to us starting early .

50k per month would be life changing right about now. Or ever, really. That's a LOT.

My medical school clarified that they do *not* want medical school students at this point. Also no early graduation. California is not at the point of needing us in this capacity according to them.

My medical school clarified that they do *not* want medical school students at this point. Also no early graduation. California is not at the point of needing us in this capacity according to them.

That's good to hear as someone who matched in CA :happy:

Between the remaining year of clerkships and then intern year, I am essentially guaranteed to get COVID. Getting it now is actually preferable to then. Plus for me as a healthy young 20-something with no health concerns, I'm 99% either asymptomatic or a mild flu.

I mean, preferable to you. For the people who have to work on you if you do get sick and the others who are sick at the same time - a time of low supplies, I'm pretty sure they'd prefer you wait until we can at least guarantee those saving your life will be adequately protected.

California is not at the point of needing us in this capacity according to them.
...yet

I mean, preferable to you. For the people who have to work on you if you do get sick and the others who are sick at the same time - a time of low supplies, I'm pretty sure they'd prefer you wait until we can at least guarantee those saving your life will be adequately protected.
Someone has to be out there swabbing, triaging etc. I'm sure they'd rather risk 1 young healthy person getting COVID sooner, than go without an essential labor role filled. Flattening the curve isn't supposed to be to such a degree that it understaffs the healthcare system.

...yet

Someone has to be out there swabbing, triaging etc. I'm sure they'd rather risk 1 young healthy person getting COVID sooner, than go without an essential labor role filled. Flattening the curve isn't supposed to be to such a degree that it understaffs the healthcare system.
There are sources currently citing that California seems to be doing a better job at delaying the spread of COVID, so it is quite likely we won't get to this point.