DMU vs. NSU-KPCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjohn117

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am fortunate enough to hold 2 A's at DMU and NSU-KPCOM (Tampa). It's a tough decision for me because I'm the first in my family to go to med school, and I'm receiving the HPSP scholarship through the Navy. I really want to set myself up for success in my future career and become the best physician to eventually match competitively. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

DMU
Pros
  • Historic DO program / Great reputation
  • Good board pass rates and residency placement
  • Low C.O.L

Cons
  • Cross-country move from Tampa
  • Away from family
  • Smaller city

NSU-KPCOM (Tampa)
Pros
  • I went to undergrad in Tampa, so it wouldn't be too much of a change
  • Unbeatable location / Near family

Cons
  • Lower COMLEX scores and match rates
  • Controversy in past years

Overall I really need to know if the two schools are comparable when trying to set myself up in the future. If that's the case, I think I would stay in FL, but if DMU affords a much better opportunity, it would be worth the move. Thank you for your help, and I wish you all the best.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU, one of the oldest DO schools compared to a school that’s had a lot of complaints and concerning board scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on what your priorities are. If family and location is high on that list and you want to stay in FL for residency, maybe consider Nova. If that’s not high in your list or you don’t mind being far away from home then choose DMU. Passing boards and matching into your residency of choice is mostly on you anyways.

If you have any questions on Nova, feel free to shoot me a DM or you can find multiple M2’s on the NSU thread.