DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can defer an acceptance and then apply again to other schools the next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Western over accpeted the class of 2013 and offered spots for 2014. they did the same thing again the next year so I was accepted for 2015 last cycle. It didn't matter to them if i applied other places they got my 2K and enough applicants to fill the spots

Hey potential DMU 2015 classmates! I interviewed in mid-September and was accepted a couple weeks later. Up until 2 days ago, I was 100% certain I was attending DMU, but I got an unexpected acceptance from the University of South Dakota. Now I'm 50-50 :(

I was VERY impressed by and felt VERY welcome at DMU. The sim labs were awesome and I even got picked to deliver the baby in the OB simulation. But USD is my home state school (cheaper), my wife's job outlook is more favorable here, and I would stay closer to friends and family, etc.

I'm stuck in a pickle. I'm revisiting both schools this month. Anyone else here have tough school choices and willing to share their thought process?

Personally, I would pick your home state school as long as the education is comparable. I'm guessing tuition will be cheaper and it seems like a better financial situation for you and your wife.

If after all the benefits of USD you still feel torn, then maybe you really do want to go to DMU because I would think those are pretty hard benefits to pass up.

Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about scholarships yet (awarded one even)? I am wondering if I should call back again - it has been about 3 months since I last asked.

If you are on the wait list for this school, a spot is about to open up. I am unfortunately attending somewhere else.

Congrats to whoever you are!

My interviewers were interested in things that were listed in my app, i.e., hobbies, medical experience, my first attempt at college (dropped out and came back). From asking around though, it seems that everyone had a pretty unique experience. For sure think about and have an answer of 'why medicine' and 'why DO.' I was asked this at all of my interviews. Also check out the interview experience thread, a lot of people have posted what they were asked.

Thank You. I will do that.

Hi guys, I'm new here. Just found out I've been placed on the alternate list (interviewed 2/17).

Does anyone know if they'll disclose your position on the list (i.e. a number or high/med/low)?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I'm new here. Just found out I've been placed on the alternate list (interviewed 2/17).

Does anyone know if they'll disclose your position on the list (i.e. a number or high/med/low)?

Thanks!

When I called a while ago, the lady on the phone said they weren't ranking it this year.

Has anyone heard about scholarships yet (awarded one even)? I am wondering if I should call back again - it has been about 3 months since I last asked.

I took an individual tour with my wife today--really makes me excited to go here (but I still might have to decline :()! Anna Bair said that they have been awarding the merit scholarships WITH the acceptances, so you should know already if you're getting one. She did say that they will be doing one last evaluation in the coming weeks, so there is some chance those who qualify but haven't been awarded one yet might pick one up!

C'MON NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY...........STOP :D:luck::xf:

I took an individual tour with my wife today--really makes me excited to go here (but I still might have to decline :()! Anna Bair said that they have been awarding the merit scholarships WITH the acceptances, so you should know already if you're getting one. She did say that they will be doing one last evaluation in the coming weeks, so there is some chance those who qualify but haven't been awarded one yet might pick one up!

C'MON NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY...........STOP :D:luck::xf:

Did you call them to make the individual tour? I'm going next week and want to go on another one. I couldn't really take it all in on interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call them to make the individual tour? I'm going next week and want to go on another one. I couldn't really take it all in on interview day.

I'm sure calling would work, but I used their online scheduler that you can find here:

http://www.dmu.edu/visit_campus/index.cfm

Go to the bottom of the page and pick 'Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine' from the drop down menu and that will open up a form to fill out.

I went at 1:30PM on a Thursday and campus was pretty quiet--no parking trouble, just a few people studying around the library, lecture halls, and other nooks. You get paired with a student like on interview day (much more casual/comfortable though). I was able to see the anatomy lab this time, but the SPAL labs were still off limits, so it may be hit-and-miss on some of the facilities you want to see. It is certainly easier to think of questions when you're not preoccupied with mental interview rehearsals.

When I called a while ago, the lady on the phone said they weren't ranking it this year.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I was put on the alternate list in October so does that mean I'm ahead of someone who was put on it in March? Or does that mean they don't expect to get to the alternate list at all? I'm assuming its going to be a long shot since they over-accepted last year and some of those people will be entering with this years acceptances.

Congratulations to EVERYONE that got accepted into DMUCOM. I interviewed and got accepted there. The people their seem very laid back. However they did not want to give me a leave of absence so I ended up applying to a Lcme MD school and got accepted. Have fun with the laid back environment of Des Moines. For ANYONE out there that do NOT get accepted in any schools or get wait-listed, PLEASE do NOT be DISAPPOINTED. Sometimes GOD/Destiny has something that we can never imagine. Now I am in a Lcme MD school that is like heaven. Our classes are pass/fail and everyone shares their notes as we voluntarily post it on the website. I don't need to attend 30-35 hours of lectures/lab per week & get to focus in on what I PERSONALLY love to learn. CONGRATULATIONS again! =)

Last edited:
Just got back from my second look tour at DMU and looking at a few of the apartment buildings near the school. I got to see the cadaver lab this time, but other than that I think it was all the same. It is an absolutely gorgeous day in Des Moines. Who doesn't love 75F in the middle of March?

So I looked at three buildings (3000 Grand, Imperial, Grand Prix). I didn't get to see an actual unit in 3000 Grand, only a model. I would say the apartment is maintained better than the other two, but it is more expensive. The woman that showed me around was very off putting and I don't think it is the place for me.

I think I'll probably end up at one of the other two. I just need to decide if I'd rather live alone or with a roommate (leaning towards a roommate).

PM if you want to know more about what I saw.

What is a Lcme medical school? What school are you attending specifically?

You'll be hearing "LCME accredited school" a lot when it comes to looking for elective rotations. Some teaching hospitals require rotating students attend an LCME accredited medical school which is them nicely saying...no DO or Foreign students allowed! :(

Just got back from my second look tour at DMU and looking at a few of the apartment buildings near the school. I got to see the cadaver lab this time, but other than that I think it was all the same. It is an absolutely gorgeous day in Des Moines. Who doesn't love 75F in the middle of March?

So I looked at three buildings (3000 Grand, Imperial, Grand Prix). I didn't get to see an actual unit in 3000 Grand, only a model. I would say the apartment is maintained better than the other two, but it is more expensive. The woman that showed me around was very off putting and I don't think it is the place for me.

I think I'll probably end up at one of the other two. I just need to decide if I'd rather live alone or with a roommate (leaning towards a roommate).

PM if you want to know more about what I saw.

I also visited for my second look the other week.. I absolutely loved it and am so excited to start in August! I went apartment hunting as well and was definitely put off too by the lady who showed us around 3000 grand. She was incredibly rushed and not exactly the most friendly gal I’ve met in Des Moines so far. It was pretty disappointing because after having talked with current students and reading through sdn forums it seemed like a good option! I ended up deciding on the Reilly Townhomes across the street from school. It’s a 2 story 2 bedroom cozy place.. they also have apartments directly next door. They are worth checking out!

hi guys,

just withdrew my acceptance... good luck to those of you on the waitlist! :thumbup:

On the budget page, the rent and utilities are listed as $610/month and $115/month =$725/month. Is this number underestimated or overestimated? I want to live within a 5 minute walking radius around the school. I don't mind living with a roommate. Is $725/month a good estimate? I imagine that there is probably a lot of demand near the school. Can people post what they are paying right now.

On the budget page, the rent and utilities are listed as $610/month and $115/month =$725/month. Is this number underestimated or overestimated? I want to live within a 5 minute walking radius around the school. I don't mind living with a roommate. Is $725/month a good estimate? I imagine that there is probably a lot of demand near the school. Can people post what they are paying right now.
I haven't moved yet but this website shows the prices for nearby apartments (the first 3 are 2-10 minute walks from campus):

http://des-moines.apartmenthomelivi...versity-osteopathic-medical-center-apartments

3000 grand is literally one block away from campus. I stayed with some students before my interview and 3 of them lived in a 3 bedroom and had plenty of space, and it was nice. So I'd say the estimate is about right if you are looking for an apartment yourself, or you might only need $400 if sharing a room. up to you

I would say they overestimate the cost of living. There will be some places that are more expensive. It seems if you are willing to live with a roommate, you can find a place between $350-450 a month per person and it will depend on what is included to determine how much utilities will cost.

On the sheet DMU gave with the housing suggestions, there is a box in the corner with average rent in the area and I think it was pretty accurate from what I saw.

^^ thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
^^ thanks for your replies.

Does the tuition go up every year or is it fixed for 4 years?

It's not fixed. The prices on the budget sheets are estimates. So it will more than likely go up year to year.

I have a question about the alternative list. I cant remember when they said they would be letting applicants know if they are accepted/denied off of the list. I have until April 8th to put my money down for CCOM and I'm guessing I wont hear from DMU earlier than that. I really liked DMU too...

I have a question about the alternative list. I cant remember when they said they would be letting applicants know if they are accepted/denied off of the list. I have until April 8th to put my money down for CCOM and I'm guessing I wont hear from DMU earlier than that. I really liked DMU too...
I'm guessing you won't hear from DMU earlier than April 8, either. I know accepted students have to pay $500 by May 1 so I'm guessing around that time is when you'll see waitlist movement. Good luck!

What is the class schedule like? Is it 8-5 5 days a week?

What is the class schedule like? Is it 8-5 5 days a week?

I'm pretty sure it varies from day to day depending if you have lab that day or not. I think all the lectures are in the morning and then labs are in the afternoon.

I believe I was told that one day of the week lectures start later in the morning.

I'm waiting on some post-interview decisions on two other schools, so should I wait to fill out financial aid stuff for DMU? I'm not a 100% set on attending here yet.

I'm waiting on some post-interview decisions on two other schools, so should I wait to fill out financial aid stuff for DMU? I'm not a 100% set on attending here yet.

I don't think there's any reason not to. It's probably better to be in early. Plus, they might give you a scholarship that would put some weight on your decision if you're lucky enough to have one to make.

I don't think there's any reason not to. It's probably better to be in early. Plus, they might give you a scholarship that would put some weight on your decision if you're lucky enough to have one to make.
I called earlier. You only need to do your FAFSA and add DMU. Don't do anything else until you've decided on attending DMU. Also, they give out scholarships before your financial aid, so that won't be affected.

Thanks for the correction, DoctorJDO.
np. also I was told that all of the scholarships had been offered to accepted students. I didn't get one and was really hoping for one, but I guess there is still the possibility that someone doesn't accept and chooses to go somewhere else. :xf:

About applying for financial aid, when are you guys planning on applying for what you need? Does it matter if you ask for the money earlier or if it's fine to wait? I was hoping to wait till after i find an apartment and could factor in the exact expense of that. Thanks

About applying for financial aid, when are you guys planning on applying for what you need? Does it matter if you ask for the money earlier or if it's fine to wait? I was hoping to wait till after i find an apartment and could factor in the exact expense of that. Thanks

From my understanding you don't need to borrow all you can at first. Borrow as much as you think you need and if it's not enough you can always take more (up to the max you're awarded, of course). Someone can correct me if I am mistaken.

first years, I have the perfect apartment for you. It's available in June, so if you want to move down early and get used to the area it'd be perfect. It's across from school and cheap. 685 for a 2 bedroom.

DrJ I feel your pain. I'm still going to attend scholarship free though.

There is an e-mail in our DMU e-mail account for a survey about technology. I would highly suggest filling it out and suggesting we get iPads!!!!! That would be so much better than an iPod touch.

There is an e-mail in our DMU e-mail account for a survey about technology. I would highly suggest filling it out and suggesting we get iPads!!!!! That would be so much better than an iPod touch.

iPads would be so much better than a silly itouch or a tablet pc. iPads people, imagine the possibilities!!!

iPads would be so much better than a silly itouch or a tablet pc. iPads people, imagine the possibilities!!!

For sure, especially if they are pushing to get textbooks available in electronic form (which they said they were working toward during my interview).

For sure, especially if they are pushing to get textbooks available in electronic form (which they said they were working toward during my interview).

I'm not a big fan of solely e-books. I like having hard copies, better for your eyes too! But it can be more convenient, so I don't mind if we can have both :)

I'm not much for the iPad though, I think it is a relatively useless gadget that's way too hyped up. I would prefer just a regular itouch + tablet PC you can do so much more with that combo.

I'm not a big fan of solely e-books. I like having hard copies, better for your eyes too! But it can be more convenient, so I don't mind if we can have both :)

I'm not much for the iPad though, I think it is a relatively useless gadget that's way too hyped up. I would prefer just a regular itouch + tablet PC you can do so much more with that combo.

It would be best if they would make an upgrade plan where if you already have an iPod touch or would rather have an iPad you can pay the difference. I'd be down for that.

Also post #1000

It would be best if they would make an upgrade plan where if you already have an iPod touch or would rather have an iPad you can pay the difference. I'd be down for that.

Also post #1000
word