DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never thought I'd get in off the waitlist seeing as there was absolutely no movement last year. I'm accepted at kcom for this year's class pending a spot opens otherwise a for sure in for next year. I have a friend at dmu who just finished her first year so I've been talking to her. I sent kcom a message asking if they can offer me a spot for this years class. If they can't it's an easy decision for me. If they offer me a spot, i have until monday at 5pm to decide. I liked dmu a lot it's just been totally out of my mind since I got waitlisted in December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted to my state school, so I will be withdrawing from DMU. congrats to whoever receives my spot.

Does anyone have the link for the facebook group?? I can't seem to find it...

Any 3rd or 4th years out there willing to share about their experience with clinical rotations? Someone posted in another thread that they are terrible/disorganized. I feel like I have only talked to 1st and 2nd years who don't really know much about them. Anything you'd be willing to share here would be great..or PM me!

You can sign up on the portal now to pick up your laptop, white coat fitting, etc. I guess I was the first one to do it since all the spots were open.

It starts July 27.

Any 3rd or 4th years out there willing to share about their experience with clinical rotations? Someone posted in another thread that they are terrible/disorganized. I feel like I have only talked to 1st and 2nd years who don't really know much about them. Anything you'd be willing to share here would be great..or PM me!

Do you know the date on the thread? I believe I saw a thread like that too, but it was from 7 years ago. Since then I'm sure things have improved and they've made necessary changes - at least that's the impression I got from interview day and research I've done. Can't help you though, since this will be my 1st year :)

As someone who ended up not chosing DMU, from my research it seems that DMU has been working to centralize their 3rd year rotations and are attempting to keep everyone in Iowa. From the schools point of view, it is a good idea because they have better control over the sites where their students are going. The definite drawback is you could get stuck with a pretty crappy rotation site because, as anyone will tell you, Iowa, while a large state, has a whole lot of nothingness and a whole lot of farm land. That translates into a lower population and, subsequently, only a handful of large hospitals. With two medical schools in the state and with DMU's large class size, I could see a lot of student's ending up in a small hospital in a rural area during 3rd year. Now this might not be a bad thing, especially if you want to do rural medicine, but just be aware you could end up in an undesirable area third year.

Do understand, this isn't exclusive to DMU. As with most schools that don't have a teaching hospital (DO schools), rotation sites are spread out...so your chance of ending up in a crappy rotation site is probably higher...but at the same time, small hospitals can be a great place to learn medicine.

4th year at DMU is pretty much full of electives like every other school...so there is a lot of freedom and organized chaos, just like at every other medical school.

Do you know the date on the thread? I believe I saw a thread like that too, but it was from 7 years ago. Since then I'm sure things have improved and they've made necessary changes - at least that's the impression I got from interview day and research I've done. Can't help you though, since this will be my 1st year :)

It was from 2011 actually...under the medical student forum for DMU 2015. I believe the student is currently a 3rd year who is unhappy with his rotations.

ACCEPTED people: CONGRATZ and if you don't mind:

what GPA/MCAT did accepted applicants get this year??

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED people: CONGRATZ and if you don't mind:

what GPA/MCAT did accepted applicants get this year??

3.65/29 I was accepted in September. I was so happy because it was my first choice! Are you applying this year?

So you guys think the class is close to, if not already, full up?

So you guys think the class is close to, if not already, full up?

Admissions said you can get offered a spot up until school starts. If people get into other schools and give up their dmu spot it's still possible for other waitlisters to get a spot. Keep your head up!!!

Congrats on the recent acceptances!

Last edited:
It was from 2011 actually...under the medical student forum for DMU 2015. I believe the student is currently a 3rd year who is unhappy with his rotations.

There are people that get the short end of the stick (the poster in that thread), but it's not many people at all. Most people either get exactly what they want, or end up with good rotations in the Des Moines area 3rd year. It's a little heavy on family med (I actually ended up with 3 FM rotations), but that's just DMU's thing.

4th year is all up to you and what you schedule as electives.

Don't let rotations worry you, especially at this point. DMU students are always very well prepared to perform in the clinical setting and DMU enables students to land great residency positions.

One step at a time guys. And be proud of yourselves for landing an acceptance, welcome to the family!

I am in the first quartile and waiting to hear from DMU. 25 MCAT, 3.55 GPA.

Does anyone know if DMU will send out a secondary if you haven't sent in your transcripts,letters of rec, or MCAT scores as long as the GPA is above a 3.0?

I got accepted off the waitlist this morning. However I got off another waitlist last week and am planning on going there. So there should be another spot open for someone. Good luck!

I got accepted off the waitlist this morning. However I got off another waitlist last week and am planning on going there. So there should be another spot open for someone. Good luck!
Thank you for letting us know. It is really appreciated. I saw in your older post that you had 30 on MCAT. I am surprised that you had to go through waitlist.

I took a late MCAT (July 31st), so I turned in my applications pretty late. Overall things worked out for the best.

Man what a process!! Suspense...suspense! Keeps the heart pumping! Best of luck to all of us in the first quarter!

Accepted off of the waitlist on Wednesday! I had other acceptances but this is the one I was hoping for. HELL YEAH!

EDIT: 3.4/31S

Withdrew my acceptance this morning! Best of luck to everyone waiting and I hope someone on here gets my spot :)

Withdrew my acceptance this morning! Best of luck to everyone waiting and I hope someone on here gets my spot :)

Thanks for letting us know, and best of luck at your school of choice!

Accepted right now!! DMU here I come!

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in off the wait-list. I know I had to go through that suspense only a few weeks ago. Now that you're in, I thought I might let you know that my apartment at The Imperial (right across the street from DMU) is now open because I found a roommate in another apartment at The Imperial and had to terminate my lease. It's a 2 BR 1 BA at $740/month + electricity only. If you're interested here's a link to the apartments and some more info about them. http://www.venturellc.com/property/the-imperial-apartments-3407/

Congrats!!!! This made me smile because you have been a cheerleader for all along the way and I am really happy for you. See you in a couple of weeks :)

Thanks so much for your kind words! I think if there are ice breakers everyone should use their SDN name instead of their real one.

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in off the wait-list. I know I had to go through that suspense only a few weeks ago. Now that you're in, I thought I might let you know that my apartment at The Imperial (right across the street from DMU) is now open because I found a roommate in another apartment at The Imperial and had to terminate my lease. It's a 2 BR 1 BA at $740/month + electricity only. If you're interested here's a link to the apartments and some more info about them. http://www.venturellc.com/property/the-imperial-apartments-3407/

Thanks so much I'll consider it. I'm trying to figure out if i'd like a roommate or not.

I just received an offer. I need to respond by tomorrow morning. Decision time!