DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Try rent.com or apartments.com Both have worked for me in the past, and you get something around a $100 back for using their site.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview scheduled at DMU on 1/29/2010. Good luck to all of you.

Quick question for current DMU students...

Is it hard to get a studio or one bedroom apartment at 3000 Grand? Do the available spots fill up pretty quickly? Any advice on when I should make a trip down to Des Moines to check out the studio/1 bedroom and put down a deposit? Thanks in advance!

I have a friend that lived at 3000 Grand a year or two ago. She said that she signed the lease for a 2 BR/2 Bath in July and moved into the apartment in August.

So, it was very easy for her to get in there. I would always call and check availability to be safe!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend that lived at 3000 Grand a year or two ago. She said that she signed the lease for a 2 BR/2 Bath in July and moved into the apartment in August.

So, it was very easy for her to get in there. I would always call and check availability to be safe!

Thanks for the feedback Hawkeyes!

1 more question guys... Which week in August is orientation week? An estimated date in August 2010 would be helpful. I want to make sure I have enough time to move in, buy a bed, check out the surrounding areas for a few days before first year starts.

Thanks! Early August. Not what I expected. Might have to move in July to get acclimated.

For people that got interviews, how long did it take from when you were complete and when you got the invite?

I have been complete since Dec 18th, and since they said they would let us know in 30 days, I am starting to give up hope for an interview :(

For people that got interviews, how long did it take from when you were complete and when you got the invite?

I have been complete since Dec 18th, and since they said they would let us know in 30 days, I am starting to give up hope for an interview :(

I think I got my invite at like 25 or so days. It was pretty close to their 30. All is not lost just yet, keep your head up!

I recently interviewed here and was very impressed. It might have moved to the top of my list. I was surprised by the atmosphere and everything they have to offer.

I do have a question though. Every other place I have interviewed was affiliated with a hospital. I know DMU works with Des Moines hospitals, but what do you guys think about not having one as part of the actual campus?

I recently interviewed here and was very impressed. It might have moved to the top of my list. I was surprised by the atmosphere and everything they have to offer.

I do have a question though. Every other place I have interviewed was affiliated with a hospital. I know DMU works with Des Moines hospitals, but what do you guys think about not having one as part of the actual campus?

have you interviewed at DO schools with affiliated hospitals? To my knowledge not many (if any) DO schools have a hospital on campus affiliated with them. If there was, I'd figure that there wouldn't have to be so much traveling for 3/4th year rotations.

DMU really impressed me too and its easily top three for me. It bothers me about the moving around for clinicals but it seems unless you are at CCOM or PCOM there will be the possibility of having to move again

I think probably the thing that has me questioning DMU at all is the issue of moving around for 3rd year. I expect it for 4th year regardless of where I end up, but would prefer to be able to stay in one place for the first 3 years. Oh well, I'm getting ahead of myself---I need an acceptance first!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
not to sound naive or anything but when people have to move around 3/4th year for like 4-8 weeks at a time and then move again... where do they stay? it seems rather expensive to go find a place put a deposit down, set up utilities and move soon. or do people stay in like extended stay hotels

Just wondering if anyone has recently heard any news about interviews? My application was complete 12/30, and I still haven't heard anything. Also, will they still send me an email if they do not want me for an interview? I'm starting to get a bit worried, as DMU was my top choice.

Last edited:
I think probably the thing that has me questioning DMU at all is the issue of moving around for 3rd year. I expect it for 4th year regardless of where I end up, but would prefer to be able to stay in one place for the first 3 years. Oh well, I'm getting ahead of myself---I need an acceptance first!

Well, it depends on what you mean by moving around 3rd year. If you mean having to leave Des Moines, you don't have to (more on this below). Its very possible to get a rotation in an area that you will stay in for all of third year, but you will have to leave the Des Moines area to do it. Any site in MI, OH, WY, MO, MN or the new NE site would be a year long site. As I understand it, there will likely be different clinics or hospitals in the general area that you may have to go to part of the time, but it isn't like you will be moving from one city to another every 3 months or something like that. There are some sites in IA, such as Davenport or Mason City that are year long sites too.

Des Moines area is not so clear. If you choose that one you may have to travel to sites that are up to 2 hours away. Honestly, I'm not sure how much that happens. I don't think its that much, though. Half the class will be in this group and this year there are now 12 reserved spots that will be at Mercy Hospital for the whole year for people interested in the fam. med. residency there.

This is the perspective of a 2nd year student so I don't have all the info and experience a current 3rd year would. I won't say where I'm going, but its not the Des Moines area mostly for the purpose of not wanting to drive long distances and more residency opportunities elsewhere.

Just wondering if anyone has recently heard any news about interviews? My application was complete 12/30, and I still haven't heard anything. Also, will they still send me an email if they do not want me for an interview? I'm starting to get a bit worried, as DMU was my top choice.

Don't worry about it. I was complete at 12/25 and haven't heard yet even though I was complete at UMDNJ ~1/8 and have heard from them. In any case, they probably didn't have anyone working in the admin. office during the holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if people who sent applications around our completion date will have to wait a little longer.

DMU's one of my top choices too. Maybe we'll see each other there, eh?

Don't worry about it. I was complete at 12/25 and haven't heard yet even though I was complete at UMDNJ ~1/8 and have heard from them. In any case, they probably didn't have anyone working in the admin. office during the holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if people who sent applications around our completion date will have to wait a little longer.

DMU's one of my top choices too. Maybe we'll see each other there, eh?

Yes I hope so! I was complete at KCOM 1/7 and I just received an interview invite. But I'm still crossing my fingers for DMU, as I was very impressed when I visited there and would love to stay closer to home. Hopefully we both get good news very soon!

Yes I hope so! I was complete at KCOM 1/7 and I just received an interview invite. But I'm still crossing my fingers for DMU, as I was very impressed when I visited there and would love to stay closer to home. Hopefully we both get good news very soon!

Haha, wow. I got some great news today: one of my letters didn't make it to DMU. I just assumed I was complete. Now I'm trying to find out what happened to that letter...

Best of luck to you!

I was complete 12/23, still haven't heard anything :( I know earlier in the thread someone complete 12/20 already got an invite some time ago, so I was kind of expecting to hear something soon. I can just hope this is a delay because of the break and not because I'm not going to get an interview:oops:

Haha, wow. I got some great news today: one of my letters didn't make it to DMU. I just assumed I was complete. Now I'm trying to find out what happened to that letter...

Best of luck to you!

Did you get an e-mail saying you were complete?

I was complete 12/23, still haven't heard anything :( I know earlier in the thread someone complete 12/20 already got an invite some time ago, so I was kind of expecting to hear something soon. I can just hope this is a delay because of the break and not because I'm not going to get an interview:oops:

Did you get an e-mail saying you were complete?

I got a "Secondary Completed" email and didn't read it through all the way. Oh well, such is life. Correct it and move on.

I received my post-secondary rejection yesterday, after ~40 days.

Just got my interview invite yesterday. Any advice/tips for interviewing at DMU?

hopefully this will help some of you above.

Secondary Received & Sent: 9/03
Interview Invite: 10/21
Interview: 1/07
Accepted: 1/27

Probably will be seeing some of you on here in the fall. Best of luck to everyone else. Hang in there!

Last edited:
For those of you who have been accepted, have you received your login info for the portal yet?

Got an email saying they due to the high demand for interviews they added a few dates in February. Hope this means that the class is far from closed and they still need a lot of people! Too bad I already booked my flight at Christmas, and it would have cost me too much to move it up from my Feb. 19th interview. Anyone else going that date?

I finally got an application complete email two months after submitting the secondary. Has the committee been getting back to people within 30 days? How long after an invitation offer has the interview been?

I finally got an application complete email two months after submitting the secondary. Has the committee been getting back to people within 30 days? How long after an invitation offer has the interview been?

I got my interview invite in November, and there were not any available dates for me until the end of January. I interviewed yesterday...and I must say...I'm really impressed with the school.

I was facebook stalking the dmu podiatry class of 2014 group and apparently dmu mailed them all DMU Podiatry blankets. Where's our COM blankets!?!?!? :D:D:D or was the vinyl window sticker i got a few months ago our gift?

I was facebook stalking the dmu podiatry class of 2014 group and apparently dmu mailed them all DMU Podiatry blankets. Where's our COM blankets!?!?!? :D:D:D or was the vinyl window sticker i got a few months ago our gift?
I know the PA students get blankets also. I hope we get something like that...the window decal was nice and all...

I keep checking my mail for my login information for the Portal. Still no word for anyone?

I know the PA students get blankets also. I hope we get something like that...the window decal was nice and all...

I keep checking my mail for my login information for the Portal. Still no word for anyone?

We got blankets..I had to go into admissions and ask for it though because they forgot to send it to me. They might not give you all the portal stuff for a little while. Its not that exciting anyway.

Well Everyone!! I am officially accepted to DMU!! I am totally stoked, this was my number one, and possibly the longest shot! I am totally ecstatic and will look forward to seeing each and every one of you in the FALL!!!

Accepted to DMU today!

Here is a time line for anyone waiting to hear

Complete 11/30
Interview Invite 11/30 (fast tracked interview)
Interview 1/14
Accepted 2/2

:soexcited:

Got Portal login info today. havent had a chance to login yet to see what it all entails. Hopefully Will get to this evening.

Anyone on the pre-interview hold hear from them yet?

Was wondering if anyone on this list has received an interview this year or in the past years?

Thanks

has anyone that has been accepted received a blanket? i was excepted in october and have not received one, just a window sticker.

Got info for the student portal via snail mail today. Finalyyyyy!

I interviewed at DMU today! I was really impressed, it seemed like an exceptional program and the students seemed really happy. This could be an interesting few weeks.

Hello everybody!

I will be interviewing at DMU on the 12th! I am really excited to go, DMU sounds like a great place to be! Any tips for the interview day? Thanks for any help you all can offer. With any luck, I will be like those on this network beaming about how I was accepted to DMU!

Last edited:
Hello everybody!

I will be interviewing at DMU on the 12th! I am really excited to go, DMU sounds like a great place to be! Any tips for the interview day? Thanks for any help you all can offer. With any luck, I will be like those on this network beaming about how I was accepted to DMU!

"A doctor’s mission should not be just to prevent death, but to improve the quality of life. That’s why when you treat a disease, you win, you lose, but when you treat a person, I guarantee you win, no matter what the outcome"

Last edited:
Hello everybody!

"A doctor’s mission should not be just to prevent death, but to improve the quality of life. That’s why when you treat a disease, you win, you lose, but when you treat a person, I guarantee you win, no matter what the outcome"

Check out the interview feedback on this site and remember to relax. It was very laid back. *Note this is coming from someone who hasn't been (and may not ever be) accepted to DMU.

Hello everybody!

Take this with a grain of salt... but compared to other schools I interviewed at, the staff and general environment at dmu seemed to have a humorous/laid back personality and vibe. I mirrored it throughout the day and even in the interview. If you look at my post on this thread from 9/4 or 9/5, you can see I was a bit worried about this method, but it turned out to be great. They accepted me and thought I would fit in very well. Definitely not trying to say I faked a personality. More like I was so nervous, proper, and overly polite the first 5 minutes cause it was my first interview that I was robot-like and my real personality couldn't shine through.

Thanks to the both of you for the advice. I already see myself as fairly light hearted and easy going, so it sounds like the atmosphere at DMU's interview should suit me quite well. However, this is going to be my first interview, so understandably I will be nervous. Trying to shake off that nervous feeling is going to be the hardest part of the day.

Well, originally i wasn't going to apply to DMU because I thought I wanted to stay in state. However, I am now considering this option and just submitted my secondary(extremely late I know). I shadowed a D.O. this past christmas break and have now asked him to write my exposure letter. Will they send out interview invites before they have the med exposure letter?

Besides this, I've got to ask "What are my chances of acceptance"

Quick Stats: GPA 4.0 MCAT 27
5 semesters of cancer therapy research, exec board and V.P. of med organization, strong participation in 2 other organizations on campus. A good amount of other EC's but those are the heavy hitters i'd say.

I appreciate any insights!

Well, originally i wasn't going to apply to DMU because I thought I wanted to stay in state. However, I am now considering this option and just submitted my secondary(extremely late I know). I shadowed a D.O. this past christmas break and have now asked him to write my exposure letter. Will they send out interview invites before they have the med exposure letter?

Besides this, I've got to ask "What are my chances of acceptance"

Quick Stats: GPA 4.0 MCAT 27
5 semesters of cancer therapy research, exec board and V.P. of med organization, strong participation in 2 other organizations on campus. A good amount of other EC's but those are the heavy hitters i'd say.

I appreciate any insights!

They won't consider your application complete without the exposure letter.

They won't consider your file complete, but you can still get an interview invite if they are still doing the fast track interviews. I didn't have my doctor letter in, either, and got a fast track interview invitation. I had to have my secondary completed (including letter) before the interview date. So there may be hope.

Canceled my interview for next week; I'm too pleased with CCOM. Good luck to all of you! DMU seems very nice!