DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I was hoping they would come out today, as I doubt they will be out tomorrow. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

received the email a few hours ago - alternate...

good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed at DMU today an the school was real impressive. But I don't feel really good bout my interview. Just felt there were better things I could of said I guess. Any advice?

I just interviewed at DMU today an the school was real impressive. But I don't feel really good bout my interview. Just felt there were better things I could of said I guess. Any advice?

diva, I don't have any real advice as to what to do from here. However, I think it is easy to reflect on what we said in an interview and find the negatives or think "i could have said this better or worded that differently". After all, hindsight is 20/20. I am willing to bet that you came off better to your interviewers than you did to yourself, and that you performed better than you think you did.

I do the same thing though, re-running scenario's in my head and kicking myself. Anyways, just my thoughts, good luck to you.

Does anyone know if DMU sends admission notices via mail or email?

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for interviewing at Des Moines University on Thursday, March 18, 2010. Typically, admission decisions are rendered approximately 2 weeks after the interview; however, we are experiencing a delay in our review process. At this time we anticipate final decisions will be rendered and you will be notified via email no later than the first week of May.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and greatly appreciate your patience.

Admission Coordinator – College of Osteopathic Medicine

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for interviewing at Des Moines University on Thursday, March 18, 2010. Typically, admission decisions are rendered approximately 2 weeks after the interview; however, we are experiencing a delay in our review process. At this time we anticipate final decisions will be rendered and you will be notified via email no later than the first week of May.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and greatly appreciate your patience.

Admission Coordinator – College of Osteopathic Medicine

Hey I got the same email just now. First week of May? That is going to be a very long wait. I can not believe this....:oops:

What is going on?

I'm just pissed off in that this sets me back in trying to apply for an army scholarship.....

I think their spring break screwed things up.

I'm just pissed off in that this sets me back in trying to apply for an army scholarship.....

I think their spring break screwed things up.

This screws up things for me too. They are my top choice...

I just do not understand how in the heck there may be a delay all the way until the first week of May...:eek:

Checking out housing dear DMU next week. First two on the list are Grand Prix and Windsor Terrace. Anyone live/check them out yet? Any opinions? My 1st choice was 3000 Grand, but it's $135-165 more/month than Grand Prix and I'd love to save AS MUCH as I can in school.

Checking out housing dear DMU next week. First two on the list are Grand Prix and Windsor Terrace. Anyone live/check them out yet? Any opinions? My 1st choice was 3000 Grand, but it's $135-165 more/month than Grand Prix and I'd love to save AS MUCH as I can in school.

I went last weekend. I looked 3000 Grand first, but they didn't have any singles left, and only a few doubles which would have been hella-expensive alone. I tried to set up an appointment with Windsor Terrace but they never got back to me. I did however look at the Imperial (same reality as Grand Prix). They were actually pretty nice inside, and I liked the fact they had an underground garage. I know there were a few openings there. I didn't get a change to go to Grand Prix. All of the buildings look kinda crappy from outside, so def go in before you judge them. All the ones you mentioned plus the Imperial supposedly are the "DMU dorms".

Members don't see this ad :)
I went last weekend. I looked 3000 Grand first, but they didn't have any singles left, and only a few doubles which would have been hella-expensive alone. I tried to set up an appointment with Windsor Terrace but they never got back to me. I did however look at the Imperial (same reality as Grand Prix). They were actually pretty nice inside, and I liked the fact they had an underground garage. I know there were a few openings there. I didn't get a change to go to Grand Prix. All of the buildings look kinda crappy from outside, so def go in before you judge them. All the ones you mentioned plus the Imperial supposedly are the "DMU dorms".

Thanks for mentioning the Imperial. Forgot about that building... I might as well schedule an appointment to visit their 1 bedrooms also.

Is there anyone on this thread that is choosing DMU over an MD acceptance? Would you mind sharing with me your reasons behind this decision? I currently hold a spot here and at an MD school and am having a tough time deciding. Just looking for a little advice I guess... PM me if you'd like to share.

I live in Windsor Terrace. I really like it here. The heat is paid for, so that cuts down on costs. Its usually pretty quite. It has wooden floors. The laundry room is in the basement. In one of the apartment complexes (pretty sure it's Grand Prix) across the street from DMU, you have to walk outside to go to the laundry room. and you definitely don't want to have to do that in the middle of the winter. There's a parking garage, but I think it costs like $30 extra a month.

The cons: you don't control the heat, and sometimes it can get pretty hot. I usually just open a window, and it's no big deal. The apartments don't have a dishwasher. There's no AC, so you might have to buy a window unit for the summer.

Just a heads up...I've heard some bad things about Grand Prix. If you don't live in Windsor Terrace, I would look into other apartments across the street instead of Grand Prix. I don't really know too much about the other ones. I've heard the Imperial pretty good. But living right across the street is great. If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Thanks spooner. appreciate the detailed response like always :)

My landlord wants to rent out the house I live in to DMU students again. It's listed on the DMU Classifieds on the portal as "2 br house for rent in Beaverdale." Here's some details:
1000 sq ft house for rent in Beaverdale. Available August 1.

* 2 bedrooms
* 1 bath
* Bonus room (could be bedroom)
* Full basement for storage
* 1 car garage
* Fenced in backyard - great for dogs
* 3 blocks to bike trails
* 5 blocks to dog park
* Walking distance to grocery store and downtown Beaverdale (8 blocks)
* 2.5 miles from DMU
* Close to all hospitals
* 1-3 year lease with option to extend if staying for rotations
* You pay all utilities
* Will email pictures

If you're in to town and want to visit, shoot me a PM or email through the portal.

Hi, I am a first year at DMU and just moved into Windsor Terrace last week and was previously living in West Des Moines about a 15 minute drive. I really like windsor terrace and nothing beats rolling out of bed and walking to school, especially after a horrible winter we had with 70 inches of snow! It is an old building with no AC or dishwasher, but it is very inexpensive. I ended up moving there because so many of my friends live there and really like it. I have also heard bad things about Grand Prix from fellow classmates. It would be in your best interest to actually come to Des Moines to look at apartments to decide which one you want. There should be a lot of openings around May and June when people are leaving to go on rotations. Good luck!!:luck:

Anyone know if they are finished interviewing? I have been on hold since August I think and haven' heard a peep since...

Has anyone that interviewed April 1st or later heard anything back yet?

Good and bad news from me - my husband got into a grad school in a state that I had a med school acceptance in! Bad news is that it's not Iowa, so I'm sad to say I'm withdrawing.

This was my favorite school, so I hope all of you appreciate it... and I hope the spot goes to someone who loved it too!!

I interviewed april 2 and got waitlisted today. Oh well good luck everybody!

Congrats to everyone who made the cut this year. Hopefully I'll get a chance to join you next year.

-Otis

I was on campus earlier this week to get my temporary I.D. for the Wellness Center this summer...I felt like a lost little newbie. I wandered around Ryan Hall forever trying to find the security office. Hopefully, one day I will actually know where I'm going...and look like it.

On another note, who else is getting their temporary I.D. for the Wellness Center this summer?

I was on campus earlier this week to get my temporary I.D. for the Wellness Center this summer...I felt like a lost little newbie. I wandered around Ryan Hall forever trying to find the security office. Hopefully, one day I will actually know where I'm going...and look like it.

On another note, who else is getting their temporary I.D. for the Wellness Center this summer?

I will be getting an ID in the begining of July. What did you wear to get your pic taken for the ID?

I will be getting an ID in the begining of July. What did you wear to get your pic taken for the ID?
Pamela told me this was only a temporary I.D., so I didn't dress up for it (just a t-shirt). She said the picture we will take for our permanent I.D. during orientation week will need to be more formal.

Found out yesterday waitlisted for this year.... The class is full. But I am accepted to next years class!!!!! I am so excited DMU was my first choice. Good Luck everyone!!!!!!

withdrawing my acceptance, good luck to those on the wait list.

withdrew from here about a week ago, just posting now. i hope someone hears good news now :)

Anyone have any info on the prospect of waitlist movement this year...just trying to figure out my options...I know it varies a lot at DMU and its easy to understand why...DMU impressed me a lot. Hopefully they'll be giving us some info soon.

Is there anyone on this thread that is choosing DMU over an MD acceptance? Would you mind sharing with me your reasons behind this decision? I currently hold a spot here and at an MD school and am having a tough time deciding. Just looking for a little advice I guess... PM me if you'd like to share.

I have tons of classmates who turned down acceptances to many great schools both MD and DO. I wouldn't worry about one being MD and one being DO and focus solely on which school do you see yourself having the most success at and where you feel the most comfortable.

Does dmu give good rates on any stethoscopes i.e. discount when joining clubs, littmann representative coming in through the year giving deals, and etc.? saw the ones on dmu's bookstore website and they're kind of expensive. Much rather just buy my own now unless I can get a better deal after first year starts. Further insight from current students/alums would be great. Thanks!

Does dmu give good rates on any stethoscopes i.e. discount when joining clubs, littmann representative coming in through the year giving deals, and etc.? saw the ones on dmu's bookstore website and they're kind of expensive. Much rather just buy my own now unless I can get a better deal after first year starts. Further insight from current students/alums would be great. Thanks!

Yea, you will get a fat discount through SOMA on stethoscopes and all your other diagnostic equipment. Reps from Welch Allyn and Littmann will come through to show off their products and you can try them out in the bookstore. I knew an employee at one of the big medical manufacturers, and their employee discount was the exact same as the discount you will get at DMU.

Yea, you will get a fat discount through SOMA on stethoscopes and all your other diagnostic equipment. Reps from Welch Allyn and Littmann will come through to show off their products and you can try them out in the bookstore. I knew an employee at one of the big medical manufacturers, and their employee discount was the exact same as the discount you will get at DMU.

NICE! Gracias!!!

Has anyone heard anything about the alternate list? Any acceptances from it?

My "was-gonna-be" roommate just told me yesterday that he just got into his in-state school and that he was going to go there. So there is still hope for getting into DMU co 2014! His seat is now open or being offered to a person as I type this now...

Wow....has anyone checked out the ANGEL learning system yet??? They have pre tests and stuff.....makes me feel....I m not only been acepted to med school but have already started it.........share your fun thought :D:D

lol, i did the computer, outlook, powerpoint, and windows 7 tests last night. STRONG KNOWLEDGE. Great start to med school exams ;b

boo to the pre-tests and post tests. thank god it's optional, although by not doing it, I already feel like I'm going to be behind before we even start.

DMU-COM sounds great, but I was accepted elsewhere and will be withdrawing my acceptance.

hope one of you gets my spot! :thumbup:

lol, i did the computer, outlook, powerpoint, and windows 7 tests last night. STRONG KNOWLEDGE. Great start to med school exams ;b

boo to the pre-tests and post tests. thank god it's optional, although by not doing it, I already feel like I'm going to be behind before we even start.

Hey BassCaster,

I was looking at at the Pre tests earlier as well. What is the deal with them? Are they required items to finish before we start in August? Or are they just to gauge our knowledge of the material?

Hey BassCaster,

I was looking at at the Pre tests earlier as well. What is the deal with them? Are they required items to finish before we start in August? Or are they just to gauge our knowledge of the material?

not sure if the info on angel is private so i'm not going to copy and paste it, but if you go to the dmu primer and click on lessons... underneath the pre-tests there's a "welcome to the dmu primer" link that explains everything.

I too am waitlisted and really loved DMU but the reality of that is looking slim as I need to start looking at apartments around my backup. Let's hope to see some movement on that alternate list ASAP!

P.S. I stumbled across the 2014 wait list thread...
http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=738597

Last edited:
crap! just browsed through some of the pre tests and realized I forgot everything. screw reviewing their notes, i'm just going to cross my fingers come august 9th ;b

crap! just browsed through some of the pre tests and realized I forgot everything. screw reviewing their notes, i'm just going to cross my fingers come august 9th ;b

I know.....I forgot everything too.....it seems like what I learned in one semester of undergrad is a one day game in med school....

Just a note BassCaster....You better come on that august 3rd......:p......

BTW....has anyone got any emails about financial aid....it feels like I have filed FAFSA and loan stuff a month ago but never heard back from them???

I know.....I forgot everything too.....it seems like what I learned in one semester of undergrad is a one day game in med school....

Just a note BassCaster....You better come on that august 3rd......:p......

BTW....has anyone got any emails about financial aid....it feels like I have filed FAFSA and loan stuff a month ago but never heard back from them???

haha I'm glad someone's in the same boat as me. i can already tell we're going to get along :)

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

and no, the only time I've heard from financial aid was an email telling me I didn't get the perkins loan this year. just hoping everything went through OK and I'll have $61,000 coming to me in a month.

I still haven't had my immunizations posted on the portal yet either. sure they're just busy.

does anyone know when the first of the two semiannual student health insurance payments are due? will it get billed to our account similar to our tuition or is an actual bill going to be mailed to us? Thanks in advance.

i can already tell we're going to get along :)

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

ohh sure....I can see that......I hope there are others too like us.......well I havent received anything for financial aid.....not even a single email....it totally seems like I havent applied for loans yet......I hope everything is fine........

Anybody let in off the waitlist yet? It seems like there isn't any movement this year...oh well :(

For all those waitlisters out there..I emailed admissions and to date there has been no movement at all on the alternate list. The class is still at capacity despite the previously posted withdrawals.