##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else kinda loosing their drive or is that just me? I just kinda think learning about embroyology or cell differences using a microscope are not going to be help me unless I want to do research or be a hemotologist. I know, I know, it is all on the boards but, why not have a class called embroyology and leave anatomy where anatomy should be? I wanted to become a doctor to help people and, it seems, learning about this crap is just clogging up my brain. Eh, maybe I just need a vacation. End rant.

I hear ya Jamers. Hopefully Thanksgiving break will restore enough energy to push us through until the end of the semester. It's hard to give it your all when much of what we're testing on in class is just "Binge, Purge, Rinse, and repeat..."

I've heard that 2nd year is better. More info, but it is applicable to what we'll actually be using in practice some day so it's bearable.

7 days...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, got a quick question for you 2010'ers.

My friend and I are going to be in Des Moines Thursday...my interview is that day (first one, kinda nervous!).

What's a good club or bar for Thursday night??

Dj or Jamers can help you with this. Good luck with your interview. :thumbup:

BTW, sorry about the rant last night. Someone needed a hug.

Dj or Jamers can help you with this. Good luck with your interview. :thumbup:

BTW, sorry about the rant last night. Someone needed a hug.

So my spooning wasn't enough last night? Wow...I never felt so used.

Ya know I don't really know that many bars, I just kinda go where the party at. Zimms is pretty good, its on Ingersol (spelling may be off). Actually, that whole street is full of bars. Now the first bar I ever went to here was Mickeys off exit 2. They gave a two for one deal, it was excellent. I am not sure of any others. Ooo, Hessle House is awsome (spelling again). There is another one that has like 150 beers on tap but I can't remember if is called the miller bar or not. Like I said, where the party at.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my spooning wasn't enough last night? Wow...I never felt so used.

Ya know I don't really know that many bars, I just kinda go where the party at. Zimms is pretty good, its on Ingersol (spelling may be off). Actually, that whole street is full of bars. Now the first bar I ever went to here was Mickeys off exit 2. They gave a two for one deal, it was excellent. I am not sure of any others. Ooo, Hessle House is awsome (spelling again). There is another one that has like 150 beers on tap but I can't remember if is called the miller bar or not. Like I said, where the party at.

Hessen Haus (or something like that) and El Bait Shop (150+ beers on tap). Both around the downtown area.

Ingersoll has various bars as well.

Hessen Haus (or something like that) and El Bait Shop (150+ beers on tap). Both around the downtown area.

Ingersoll has various bars as well.

Rock on. I need beer, gimme beer. GIMME BEERRRRRR!!!!!!!! Sorry...

All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy. All work and no beer makes Jamey go crazy.

On a side note...If anyone hasn't seen the crazy comment made to ItsElectric by bth7 (or the person who hijacked his screen name), I suggest checking it out.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=339243

This bth7, in case you don't know, generally pushes the gay rights agenda so these comments were as far off base as they could be from him. Funny nonetheless...

On a side note...If anyone hasn't seen the crazy comment made to ItsElectric by bth7 (or the person who hijacked his screen name), I suggest checking it out.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=339243

This bth7, in case you don't know, generally pushes the gay rights agenda so these comments were as far off base as they could be from him. Funny nonetheless...

ahahhaha, yes it sounds like someone has phished his name. Either that or he is one angry person.

Where are all my sexy DMUers?????? This means you Jbone, I know you check this every 4 hours or so. GIVE ME INTERNET LOVE!!:love:

Where are all my sexy DMUers?????? This means you Jbone, I know you check this every 4 hours or so. GIVE ME INTERNET LOVE!!:love:

Here you go...:love:

Enjoy it.

Are you bored tonight misparas? I know you ain't studying slacker!!! Get to it, before I beat you down...

This is the new attire for the students hired to watch the stalls for those flush and scrammers!! You too can be one!!

Attachments

• 02189163.jpg
    02189163.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 133
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the new attire for the students hired to watch the stalls for those flush and scrammers!! You too can be one!!

Nice costume jamers. :rolleyes:

No wonder you didn't win the best costume contest.

HERRO? WHERE IS ERERYONE?

Happy Thanksgiving peeps... Enjoy the 5 day break... and make sure to thank Dr. Khan for the 15 question bomb that he dropped on us today as a going away present :(

That part abused me quite significantly. I'm very disappointed, I totally studied the wrong stuff, and Kahn > me

/me bows to Kahn...

That part abused me quite significantly. I'm very disappointed, I totally studied the wrong stuff, and Kahn > me

/me bows to Kahn...

Ok then...
Khan>soundman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>jbone.

Does anyone remember that star trek movie "the wrath of Khan"?? :laugh:
Captain Kirk is stuck in the middle of some lame planet and Khan (his mortal enemy) has stolen the enterprise. (That bastard). As Khan is about to leave Kirk desolate in the center of this planet, he talks some smack to Cap. Kirk telling him he is going to leave his sorry a$$ there. As he is about to stop communication...Capt. James T. Kirk grabs the communicator and screams "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (Sound echoes off of the cave walls and could even be heard in space. You know that son of a biotch Khan heard him! :mad: )

Anyway, that was me this morning. I was Captain Kirk and my a$$ was being OWNED by Dr. Kahn. And all I wanted to do while getting owned by HIS FREAKIN 15 QUESTION TEST was stand and scream from the top of my lungs...........
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!
(With echoes heard throughout the lecture hall/mitochondria/tower/OMM lab/room SEC 219 and the anatomy lab. And yes, he would have heard me...even if he was in Tahiti with his ladies :mad: )

Alright, back to work....:laugh: (that's what they call it here at the library)

Damn, I need some sleep. This 3 hour/night thang aint workin.
15495__wrath_l.jpg

That bastard...who does he think he is!!!!!! That's the freakin enterprise not a lame turquoise green toyota celica (with a lame bubbly tint job and Nebraska plates):mad: :mad:
(he does have a nice mullet though and that chick is hot )
648-KV.jpg

Ok then...
Khan>soundman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>jbone.

Does anyone remember that star trek movie "the wrath of Khan"?? :laugh:
Captain Kirk is stuck in the middle of some lame planet and Khan (his mortal enemy) has stolen the enterprise. (That bastard). As Khan is about to leave Kirk desolate in the center of this planet, he talks some smack to Cap. Kirk telling him he is going to leave his sorry a$$ there. As he is about to stop communication...Capt. James T. Kirk grabs the communicator and screams "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (Sound echoes off of the cave walls and could even be heard in space. You know that son of a biotch Khan heard him! :mad: )

Anyway, that was me this morning. I was Captain Kirk and my a$$ was being OWNED by Dr. Kahn. And all I wanted to do while getting owned by HIS FREAKIN 15 QUESTION TEST was stand and scream from the top of my lungs...........
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!
(With echoes heard throughout the lecture hall/mitochondria/tower/OMM lab/room SEC 219 and the anatomy lab. And yes, he would have heard me...even if he was in Tahiti with his ladies :mad: )

Alright, back to work....:laugh: (that's what they call it here at the library)

Damn, I need some sleep. This 3 hour/night thang aint workin.
15495__wrath_l.jpg

That bastard...who does he think he is!!!!!! That's the freakin enterprise not a lame turquoise green toyota celica (with a lame bubbly tint job and Nebraska plates):mad: :mad:
(he does have a nice mullet though and that chick is hot )
648-KV.jpg

Absolutely hilarious! But to quote the forever classic Revenge of the Nerds......."NEEERRRRRRRD"!

Dude you can NOT be dissing the Celica. That car is the bomb, even if it is about ready to blow up. I can see through the bubbly tint...sort of, well if it's dark out and your have your lights on.

OMW... You just destroyed Kahn. You are the bomb...I wanted you to have the actual screaming of Kirk though, that would of been amazing and I would of bowed to you.

Let's make it a contest then. Whoever can find that "KKKKKKKHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN" clip...we will all bow to you.

That was pretty funny I laughed a lot. Hope everyone has a good thanksgiving and safe travels as well.

Oh dear...

newborn baby+2 year-old+hormonal wife+visiting inlaws (for a week) :rolleyes: +Thanksgiving+closed school w/ nowhere to study+college football rivalry week+crappy food on thanksgiving+no sleep+no cash+no action (see above)+being freakin lazy and tired due to big a$$ anatomy exam=did not hardly study for 2 big exams this week=
TOTAL PWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kill me please.

Oh dear...

newborn baby+2 year-old+hormonal wife+visiting inlaws (for a week) :rolleyes: +Thanksgiving+closed school w/ nowhere to study+college football rivalry week+crappy food on thanksgiving+no sleep+no cash+no action (see above)+being freakin lazy and tired due to big a$$ anatomy exam=did not hardly study for 2 big exams this week=
TOTAL PWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kill me please.

You'll do fine. Don't fret it.

Congrats to your Utes. They played better than I expected!

You'll do fine. Don't fret it.

Congrats to your Utes. They played better than I expected!

Yes, that game was a freakin classic. Suprised the cougs didn't choke like usual. I'm happy for them though and at least it was entertaining. Probably had you scared there for a second didn't it. :laugh:
Oh well...1 in 5 isn't bad. There will always be a "next" year.
Thank goodness.

Any of you DMU students doing a dual DO/MPH degree? Can you share what its like, what the application process was? There isn't too much info online. Thanks.

Any of you DMU students doing a dual DO/MPH degree? Can you share what its like, what the application process was? There isn't too much info online. Thanks.

I'm looking into the DO/MHA degree. Not sure exactly how the load is yet, personally, however most people say it's not a huge time commitment. Essentially, if you are in the DO class, you can get into the MPH or MHA program, assuming that you are doing well with medical school. You have to get your advisor to sign the consent form for the application and it is about $30. Your tuition is half the price of the normal tuition (if you weren't in the DO class) and it will end up costing $7500-8000 for the entire degree. Most of the classes can be taken online, so when you're on rotations you can continue completing the degree. Any other questions, PM me.

No comments on the OMM test today, huh? I guess I'll just assume that silence says it all.

No comments on the OMM test today, huh? I guess I'll just assume that silence says it all.

Ok, I'll bite.
IT WAS HORSE CRAP!! (more words come to mind...I'll tell you after I get my score)

(feel better now but we all know that the OMM dept. is in some serious need of repair/help/divine intervention whatever. Just wondering if the fellows could actually answer their own hard a$$ questions themselves...I doubt it)

Now, back to cramming for Histology tomorrow...(is that the spleen? lymph node?? oh wait, it's a RBC :laugh: )

I just hate being lied to about OMM anymore. You can't believe anything they say when it comes to the content of the exams. I don't even know why they make lecture mandatory. Eh, that is my two cents.

I just hate being lied to about OMM anymore. You can't believe anything they say when it comes to the content of the exams. I don't even know why they make lecture mandatory. Eh, that is my two cents.

Did anyone else get most of their points off in the 12-18 question range of test B? I can't believe my score on that exam.

Did anyone else get most of their points off in the 12-18 question range of test B? I can't believe my score on that exam.

I can't believe the average on that exam. Congratulations to everyone (there are many of you) who did better than me on the exam. I guess I just didn't get what they were asking, because I thought I had a good grasp on the information.

I guess I just won't make a good osteopathic physician.

I missed 3 questions from that range, expat, but most of my wrong answers came from questions 45-60.

Never again will I be able to listen to 2nd years in regards to the OMM written exams. That was a tough exam, and I truly feel as though we are receiving a sub-part education in OMM, because they did NOT emphasize in lecture what they tested upon.

That's the end of my rant....oh well.

and I truly feel as though we are receiving a sub-part education in OMM

So the OMM training at DMU is not truly "Second to none" as they claim?

Anyway, is this the only real problem you guys have with DMU thus far? I was just wondering, because it seems to be the first real negative thing I have read concerning current student opinions of the school.

Anyway, is this the only real problem you guys have with DMU thus far? I was just wondering, because it seems to be the first real negative thing I have read concerning current student opinions of the school.

Actually, the OMM dept. isn't that bad. It's just a bunch of stressed out/tired/cranky first years trying to blow off some steam after getting PWNED on the last exam only to get PWNED two days later on another huge exam (tough times). That being said, the OMM dept is in a transitional state. They are going to decide on a new chair this year and it should be alright. Right now is just difficult because we are sort of in limbo...waiting for someone to take charge and guide us to the promised land baby! Other than that small problem, I still have no other beefs with DMU and am sure the OMM dept. will be just fine. But after I get owned tomorrow, the story may change. :laugh:

Beware what you read on SDN; it is not to be taken as 100% proof. I don't know how to rank the OMM department at DMU because I have only had instruction from this department. Do I think things need to be improved/changed, **** yeah. Could I do it any better? I hope not. :D . We had a class meeting and some of our issues were addressed and, hopefully, this will cause other things to happen as well. Our class didn't do poorly on this exam (88% average), however, I do feel that some of the information covered on the exam was information that we were told WOULD NOT appear. That is my complaint.

Actually, the OMM dept. isn't that bad. It's just a bunch of stressed out/tired/cranky first years trying to blow off some steam after getting PWNED on the last exam only to get PWNED two days later on another huge exam (tough times). That being said, the OMM dept is in a transitional state. They are going to decide on a new chair this year and it should be alright. Right now is just difficult because we are sort of in limbo...waiting for someone to take charge and guide us to the promised land baby! Other than that small problem, I still have no other beefs with DMU and am sure the OMM dept. will be just fine. But after I get owned tomorrow, the story may change. :laugh:

Yeah, I think that the dept is definitely going through some changes and they are short-staffed right now--but even with that I do have some issues with the way the class is going. I think that it will get better once they have some sort of direction and enough staff to lead us there. It is just really frustrating to be in the transition time period. DMU has such a strong history in OMM I am sure that it will bounce back once people get a little more organized, I just wish they weren't getting organized during my first year:rolleyes:

I am not usually one to complain if I do poorly on an exam. I mean, it is usually the result of not knowing the material well enough and that is only my fault. The thing that took me off guard is that I felt as though I knew that material and even when I was taking the test I felt as though I was doing fine. I was just shocked to see my score and I just don't understand what happened.:(

I am a 2nd year at DMU and here is my 2 cents; There is a difference in how students are being taught since last year. Not that one is any better or worse than the other. Last years chair, Dr. Boesler, was OMM all the way. He lived and breathed this stuff and came ona bit too strong at times. That being said he was definitely passionate about OMM and strived to impart his passion to his students.

This years interim chair, is more laid back and approachable. She has her areas of interest, pushes them, but you can talk to her as a person. Dr. B had a Huge reputation that preceeded him and he could be intimidating at times (if you were not on the OMM band wagon).

Another issue is the fact that when we went through year 1, the seconds years were very PRO OMM, there were lots of TA's and they were excited about this stuff. This year, it seems as though our class is more reserved about OMM and as a result there are fewer pro OMM TA's and the 1st years are suffering as a result. I don;t think it is a result of the faculty change ( as we had Dr. B for the full 1st year), we are just not as interested as a clas in OMM and this is definitley impacting the first year class.

I am a 2nd year at DMU and here is my 2 cents; There is a difference in how students are being taught since last year. Not that one is any better or worse than the other. Last years chair, Dr. Boesler, was OMM all the way. He lived and breathed this stuff and came ona bit too strong at times. That being said he was definitely passionate about OMM and strived to impart his passion to his students.

This years interim chair, is more laid back and approachable. She has her areas of interest, pushes them, but you can talk to her as a person. Dr. B had a Huge reputation that preceeded him and he could be intimidating at times (if you were not on the OMM band wagon).

Another issue is the fact that when we went through year 1, the seconds years were very PRO OMM, there were lots of TA's and they were excited about this stuff. This year, it seems as though our class is more reserved about OMM and as a result there are fewer pro OMM TA's and the 1st years are suffering as a result. I don;t think it is a result of the faculty change ( as we had Dr. B for the full 1st year), we are just not as interested as a clas in OMM and this is definitley impacting the first year class.

I completely respect your opinion, but speaking for myself, I completely disagree. From my own personal experience (I can't speak for everyone else on here), I have learned the MOST during the labs when I get the opportunity to work with a 2nd year TA.

I honestly believe that the current interim OMM director is very knowledgable and good at what she does, but it's difficult to even say that considering she never teaches us! I went to a very large State school for my Undergrad and one of the downsides to a state school is that you're often taught by TAs. I really feel as though we're being taught solely by the OMM fellows (TAs essentially), which is somewhat of a disservice to us.

All that being said, I want to say to any potential DMU students that we most definitely are in a state of flux right now, so this will very likely be the worst that things will ever be here. And that's really not that bad, considering that it's highly likely that our OMM education is still as good as the average DO school. It's just that as a 1st year student going through some of these "growing pains", it is very difficult to keep the bigger picture in mind.

JBone is spot on as to what's occurring here at DMU. Things will ultimately get better, because if anything, DMU is second to none in doing the things necessary to be the best of the best.

That being said, I want to give you my honest opinion. The current OMM training, in MY personal opinion (I do NOT speak for the entire school) is not the best in the land. I don't go to other schools, so I can't properly gauge how good it is in comparison to others, but I'd be willing to guess it's around average or so (Very sub-par compared to what it apparently used to be).

That's the bad news. The good news is that DMU is in a period of transition, and I have full faith that it will ultimately improve. Things are already in motion to see to it that it does improve. Furthermore, this is the only negative I have in regards to my education. I could not be anymore satisfied with the education that I'm receiving (outside of OMM).

DMU as a whole is second to none, but the current OMM training......ehhhhh.

I can't believe the average on that exam. Congratulations to everyone (there are many of you) who did better than me on the exam. I guess I just didn't get what they were asking, because I thought I had a good grasp on the information.

I guess I just won't make a good osteopathic physician.

I missed 3 questions from that range, expat, but most of my wrong answers came from questions 45-60.

Never again will I be able to listen to 2nd years in regards to the OMM written exams. That was a tough exam, and I truly feel as though we are receiving a sub-part education in OMM, because they did NOT emphasize in lecture what they tested upon.

That's the end of my rant....oh well.

I thought I knew the stuff too and I didn't do well! I just think some of the questions that were written by the fellows were not worded correctly.
I'm kind of bummed that the dept is in a transition state. At the beginning, I was really excited about OMM but I'm just not a big fan of how it's being taught right now. The good news is that they are listening to us and including students (from student government) in the interviews of new faculty positions. I just hope something is done soon and things get better next semester.

I know someone was caught waxing their Thunder Cat in the Aud., but has anyone been caught going at it in the OMM room on the main table? Not that I want to make a Chicken and Porn type video but, you never know what my career may hold for me....:D

I know someone was caught waxing their Thunder Cat in the Aud., but has anyone been caught going at it in the OMM room on the main table? Not that I want to make a Chicken and Porn type video but, you never know what my career may hold for me....:D

Someone was seriously caught flogging their dolphin in the auditorium? You're full of it, right??!!

Someone was seriously caught flogging their dolphin in the auditorium? You're full of it, right??!!

Can I get a little support on this. To the best of my knowledge, someone was caught, on camera, rubbing their Jacobs ladder. I mean, I rub one out all the time, but only when I am looking at Soundman :love: .

Can I get a little support on this. To the best of my knowledge, someone was caught, on camera, rubbing their Jacobs ladder. I mean, I rub one out all the time, but only when I am looking at Soundman :love: .

So someone was actually auditioning the hand puppet here at school?? You don't say.

I'm going to be a little more aware of where I sit in lecture for now on.

Other fun euphamisms:

Arguing with Henry Longfellow
Cranking one off
Civil War
Fiver Finger Solo
Five on One

Do any of you guys know when DMU typically awards its scholarships?

Do any of you guys know when DMU typically awards its scholarships?

I see you are from PA. Are you coming out here with your family? I only ask because it has been pretty hard on me, being from NEPA, to be this far away from my family. Just something to think about. Random, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.