DMD/PhD - edge into specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HulkHogan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

What are your thoughts about students in DMD/PhD programs - assumming equal boards ect - having an edge to get into very competitive dental specialties like oral surgery, endodontics, or orthodontics?

I know there are programs that accept DMD/PHD students out of the match and are basically notified whether they will be offered a position in a residency program before the match even begins.

So what does everyone think? Is the PHD degree a solid shining star or does it not really matter as much as some peple might think.

Any DMD/PHD students out there now that have any toughts or former dual degree candidates that are in residency programs now?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Hulk

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe, but if you do really well on boards and you classes, you won't have to do a PhD. I would only consider a PhD if you just HAD to do academics. I have run into more than a few folks that have done PhDs and have bailed from academics, as we have discussed earlier. If your intent is to get into a two year program and be done, I don't think a PhD would do much good. The programs will see right through that.

It is possible a PhD may look favorable when it comes to competitive residencies. However, I think it is a lot more practical and financially profitable to do a GPR and work for a little bit rather than spend 4 or more years doing a PhD. At our institution Endo, Ortho and Perio prefer their residents to have atleast a GPR if not some work experience under their belt. The OMFS residency director prefers prospective residents to have completed an OS intership.
Ofcourse, if your grades and board scores are stellar and if you show interest in a specialty, you might be able to match into it right out of school.
A PhD is the best bet if you decide to pursue a career in education or research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Especially jedi for entertaining all my PM's.

What do you guys think are a range of competitive board scores for ortho/omfs?

90 or above or probably a little higher??

95 plus for ortho
90 plus for 6 year OMS and competitive 4 years
85-7 plus for some of the not so competitive OMS

I would put endo up there with a mid 90's as well.

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to abandon the thread but I was away a few days.

Thank you for your comments.