DIT average Step II of 230?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of using DIT for my Step II prep, but I saw on their website that the average score for their students is a 230. Isn't the average score for everyone taking step II, irregardless of study method a 230? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this, but that says to me that DIT does nothing for your score. If it were truly a superior study method, shouldn't the DIT average be higher than the overall average? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking of using DIT for my Step II prep, but I saw on their website that the average score for their students is a 230. Isn't the average score for everyone taking step II, irregardless of study method a 230? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this, but that says to me that DIT does nothing for your score. If it were truly a superior study method, shouldn't the DIT average be higher than the overall average? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's regardless, not irregardless.

Did you seriously take time out of your day to try and correct my grammar? First of all, your not entirely correct. According to Merriam-Webster "Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose."

Secondly, this is a forum. It's not a newspaper, book, or any other form of literary work that deserves your editorial expertise. Perhaps I'm completely misreading your intentions here, and your just someone with a rich appreciation of the English language. Maybe you correct all of text messages that you receive too? If thats the case, thank you. Also, since you are clearly more intelligent that I am, I would love to receive your input on the DIT course.

If anyone else has any comments relating to the DIT course, I would also appreciate those greatly. Just remember to double check your language and spelling, as sebsvenmdc will be going through each and every one of your posts with a fine tooth comb. Don't forget to thank him for his tireless efforts policing the sdn forums for grammatical errors and the use of portmanteau words like irregardless.

Hey Verno,

I used DIT. I mainly used it because I am not one of those people who can sit down with first aid and just absorb all of the material. I do better listening and taking notes. I think it really comes down to your learning style.

On step 1 I didn't use DIT and got a 222, on Step 2 I used it and got a 240. Could I have gotten a 240 on my own? Probably. But the rigid schedule and teaching method worked really well for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, since you are clearly more intelligent that I am, I would love to receive your input on the DIT course.
QUOTE]

Hilarious.

It would be nice if someone who recently took Step 2 CK would simply post what the national average score was. That'd sure make this one easy.

"Average USMLE Step 2 score for Doctors In Training students is in the 230s." So technically speaking it could be as high as 239 which is higher than the national average

The average score when I took CK last August was reported on my score report as 230 with a standard deviation of 23. So, yeah, the DIT people score average and they're advertising that on their website.

Did you seriously take time out of your day to try and correct my grammar? First of all, your not entirely correct. According to Merriam-Webster "Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose."

Secondly, this is a forum. It's not a newspaper, book, or any other form of literary work that deserves your editorial expertise. Perhaps I'm completely misreading your intentions here, and your just someone with a rich appreciation of the English language. Maybe you correct all of text messages that you receive too? If thats the case, thank you. Also, since you are clearly more intelligent that I am, I would love to receive your input on the DIT course.

If anyone else has any comments relating to the DIT course, I would also appreciate those greatly. Just remember to double check your language and spelling, as sebsvenmdc will be going through each and every one of your posts with a fine tooth comb. Don't forget to thank him for his tireless efforts policing the sdn forums for grammatical errors and the use of portmanteau words like irregardless.

Last edited:
You're going to have a tough time in residency if me correcting one of your words bothers you that much. By the way, you meant "you're" in the second sentence. You should thank me. If you can learn to deal with comments like this, you'll take constructive criticism from residents and attendings better.

I have received honors in every evaluation from every attending and resident that I have worked with. I don't attribute these evaluations to being any more intelligent than anyone else, but rather because I am humble and receptive to constructive criticism and because I take that information to heart and learn from it to the best of my abilities.

In my experience, the students who consistently receive poor evaluations by attendings and residents are the ones that make comments like yours in an attempt to appear as though they have all the answers. I'm sorry, but when you post on a thread for the sole purpose of criticizing someone's grammar, while completely ignoring the question that they have politely asked, your being one of "those" students.

Perhaps you should redefine your definition of constructive criticism, because if you keep going on, spitting in the faces of your peers in an attempt to look good in front of attendings, I think you are the one thats going to struggle in residency. Don't forget, even attendings and residents were students at one time too, and they all remember what its like to work with students like that.

By the way, thanks to everyone else who took the time to post a serious response to my initial question.

Last edited:
You're going to have a tough time in residency if me correcting one of your words bothers you that much. By the way, you meant "you're" in the second sentence. You should thank me. If you can learn to deal with comments like this, you'll take constructive criticism from residents and attendings better.

Seriously man, you should consider a career as a grammar doctor.

I know at my University if you did something like this, you'd be the least popular person around.

Good luck with that anyway.

And I took DIT for Step I and I liked it, not because the content was presented in a great way, but because it kept me on pace for my target date. I also think hearing everything helped solidify it. I was very happy with my Step I score, and will be using it again, regardless of what their average score is.

I know this isn't answering your question, but I think it's a useful way of looking at it. If it worked for you the first time, it'll probably be beneficial the second time.

You need to relax. Don't expect people to walk on egg shells around you. You used "your" instead of "you're" again, btw. Thanks for your speculation about my poor evaluations. I'm AOA though, so it's not very accurate.

I never indicated that you aren't intelligent, I just have a strong suspicion that your good grades are attributed to your pre-clinical years and doing well on shelf exams, probably not so much from your evaluations. But you really missed the point of my last post. I wasn't trying to compare grades with you, I was trying to tell you that you need to stop making snide and condescending remarks to people in an attempt to appear intelligent, or compensate for your inner insecurities, or whatever your motivation. Because, believe it or not people generally dislike being on the receiving end of comments like that. I understand that it's probably difficult for you to grasp the fact that those remarks genuinely piss people off, because as a narcissist you lack insight into your condition. I'm just trying to help you out, give you a few life tips to make residency a little easier. Your welcome!

I never indicated that you aren't intelligent, I just have a strong suspicion that your good grades are attributed to your pre-clinical years and doing well on shelf exams, probably not so much from your evaluations. But you really missed the point of my last post. I wasn't trying to compare grades with you, I was trying to tell you that you need to stop making snide and condescending remarks to people in an attempt to appear intelligent, or compensate for your inner insecurities, or whatever your motivation. Because, believe it or not people generally dislike being on the receiving end of comments like that. I understand that it's probably difficult for you to grasp the fact that those remarks genuinely piss people off, because as a narcissist you lack insight into your condition. I'm just trying to help you out, give you a few life tips to make residency a little easier. Your welcome!

You really are no better.