Disability insurance $900/month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbde4dds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guardian is quoting $900/month for $8000 coverage. Mass mutual is quoting $750/month. Both seem very expensive. Do I go for it or leave it? I don't have any medical issues, I don't know the future and if buying the insurance will be worth it. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Guardian is quoting $900/month for $8000 coverage. Mass mutual is quoting $750/month. Both seem very expensive. Do I go for it or leave it? I don't have any medical issues, I don't know the future and if buying the insurance will be worth it. Any advice?
My quote through protective with the ADA was like 500 semi-annually....so that seems high. Are you sure that wasn't the semi-annual cost?

My Guardian premium is $120 monthly for $5000 coverage. I'm 28, healthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mass Mutual 250 month up here in buffalo. Use to do 150 but I upgraded. You want me to refer you?

Get a different agent to help you. That’s too expensive if you have a clean med history.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I please get a recommendation for a good agent please? I am in California and I am told that disability insurance is pretty expensive here and that's why the quote I got.

Can I please get a recommendation for a good agent please? I am in California and I am told that disability insurance is pretty expensive here and that's why the quote I got.
Maybe just move to a different state haha...everything is higher in California except for what you get paid

CA has a premium up charge due to claim quantity but more important is age, gender, and specialty to figure out what the cost per $1k of benefit should be.

Lol 900$ a month? Wow. I would cut out all "injury prone activities" from my life like skiing/snowboarding/skydiving etc and hope for the best.

Yes. I think it went from 5k to 8k, maybe a little higher
Were there other companies you were looking at? Why’d you pick Mass Mutual? I’ve been composing Principle, Guardian, and Mass Mutual with them being the most expensive.

Has anyone actually had to use their disability insurance yet?

Were there other companies you were looking at? Why’d you pick Mass Mutual? I’ve been composing Principle, Guardian, and Mass Mutual with them being the most expensive.
What prices did you get? I didn’t really look. A friend recommended me

What prices did you get? I didn’t really look. A friend recommended me
I'll be in residency next year and these are the quotes I got:
Principal ($97/month with 30% student discount) - $4000/month benefit, basic partial disability benefits, future increase up to $20,000, automatic increase
Guardian ($134/month with 20% student discount) - $4500/month benefit, enhanced partial disability benefits, future increase up to $17,000, automatic increase
MassMutual ($157/month with some sort of student discount) - $5000/month benefit, enhanced partial disability benefits, future increase up to $16,000, automatic increase

Hard to compare purely on numbers though since they all have different monthly benefits and riders. The agent I'm working with in essence said MassMutual's terms in the riders are most favorable to us so they're the "best" but most expensive. Principal has pretty similar terms and with the larger student discount usually makes them the cheapest.

$20-$30 per month per $1,000 of monthly disability in residency is about the right price for males, if you are in CA then add $5 per month to that price. If you are female and there is not a unisex deal to be had then you are probably $30-$40 per month per $1k of monthly benefit.