Derm: Steps to Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm entering med school in the fall. I'm a nontrad and I volunteer in derm. I really like it. What things should I do (M1, M2, etc) to optimize my chances of getting into a derm residency program? If some things are much more important than others, please indicate.

Thanks! :p :love: :p

Members don't see this ad.

If you are really sure that you want Derm so early in you med school career then your best bet is to try to do research in your med schools derm dept and in so doing get to know faculty members,especially those who have clout in the residency selection process.Publishing in a derm journal is a great asset.Of course getting top grades in your classes goes without saying.Still making the right political connections is a big part of the process.

I'm a first year, and I am also very interested in derm. However, my school does not have a derm dept. so I'm finding it difficult to make any "connections". Is it appropriate to contact DME's at other schools or should I just look at dermatologists in private practice in my area? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ny skindoc
If you are really sure that you want Derm so early in you med school career then your best bet is to try to do research in your med schools derm dept and in so doing get to know faculty members,especially those who have clout in the residency selection process.Publishing in a derm journal is a great asset.Of course getting top grades in your classes goes without saying.Still making the right political connections is a big part of the process.

I volunteer in derm clinical research now, and I really like it. However, I might not get into the affiliated med school. If not, my next best choice doesn't have derm residencies. I've been told that it's important to attend a med school that has derm residencies as programs take some of their own first. I may attend one school and do my derm rotations at another, if possible, and continue my volunteer research work now also.

Clearly the optimal situation is to be at med school which has a Derm dept,as about 40% or so of those who match get into their own home program.However if this is not possible you should research other schools in your area and attempt to do summer fellowships and arrange electives.. as many as possible.Explain to them you that have a strong interest in derm that you can not pursue at your own school.Most places are happy to get visiting students.Try to find places which are open to taking students from other schools into their residency programs,as some derm residency programs take primarily their own students.In my opinion getting to know Derms in private practice is a waste of time.They are not involved in resident selection and likely have few strong contacts at derm residencies.There are always some exceptions to this.You need to get to know faculty who have influence in a particular residency program or who have a national reputation so their LORs will be taken seriously.People from med schools without residency programs do match in every year.. but you will need a very strong application to make this happen.Getting into this field is a difficult undertaking.