Dental DSO has anyone ever been fired ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loxandbagels

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been fired shortlu after starting at a dso? I’m having some differences with managers who aren’t dentists dictating treatment plans and telling me to do procedures I’m not comfortable with

Members don't see this ad.

If thats the reason you end up being fired, then this would not hurt you in the long-run. You are protecting patients by doing so.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been fired shortlu after starting at a dso? I’m having some differences with managers who aren’t dentists dictating treatment plans and telling me to do procedures I’m not comfortable with

I don't think many people would be forthcoming about being fired.

I'm sure it happens quite a bit though. Not just DSOs but in private office as well.

Sounds like this office isn't a "fit". Move on. I've had similar issues but at a private office in terms of office manager and dental assistants dictating my tx plan and reporting me to the owner . Don't think that private office associateships are any better. Sounds like you need to go to a different DSO office. Or better yet OWN.

I think many of us have had a string of bad associateships which motivates to own our own practices. Everybody knows associates don't stick around long; hence the reason they're often treated so badly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar experience. I stuck to my guns, what I knew was right for my patients, and as a result I was fired for not meeting productivity goals. It re-enforced my commitment to my patients and community, so I went on a long vacation out of the country to celebrate, came back and found a great office. You'll be okay.

Thanks for all of these replies. I wonder if I should terminate the agreement with notice Of 60 days or wait to be fired ...

Stick to your guns, it’s your license on the line, not theirs. They are trying to dictate treatment plans using your license.
If you get fired oh well, you find a new job. It’s way less of a headache than the potential of a lawsuit or board sanctions.

Reactions: 2 users