Day in the Life of a Nuclear Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are a few PA schools I am looking at applying to that would start classes in January 2018. For the AA programs I'm looking at, most of their application deadlines were either in the summer or fall (they don't need to extend their application deadlines to March like pharmacy schools), so I won't be able to apply until this summer, which means I won't be able to matriculate until summer 2018 if I get to go the AA route.

So are you going to take a leave of absence or just not enroll in RX school for fall term?? What will you be doing this fall? Padding resume/application I hope.

Members don't see this ad.

So are you going to take a leave of absence or just not enroll in RX school for fall term?? What will you be doing this fall? Padding resume/application I hope.

Trying to determine whether it will be a better idea to apply as early as possible, or if I should spend some time during the summer (after current semester ends) doing things to improve my application and then apply during the early fall. With how bad the future of pharmacy and the job market is looking (it can literally only get worse), it doesn't make sense to ever return to pharmacy school, even if I don't get accepted to PA school on the first application attempt.

Trying to determine whether it will be a better idea to apply as early as possible, or if I should spend some time during the summer (after current semester ends) doing things to improve my application and then apply during the early fall. With how bad the future of pharmacy and the job market is looking (it can literally only get worse), it doesn't make sense to ever return to pharmacy school, even if I don't get accepted to PA school on the first application attempt.

I would say bet big now, literally right now. Get some needed HCE experience for pa apps and just wrap this RX semester with A's. Don't you dare send that RX school another dime!!!!
I'm sure all of us here would be crestfallen to hear if you enrolled in fall term in RX. In your case returning in the fall is chasing good money after bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, do nuclear pharmacists develop hand problems/arthritis/DeQuervains at a higher rate?

I remember in our compounding labs, drawing up from a vial in one of those huge shields was a real pain.

Non-sequitur:
I foresee a Borg-like future where all threads on SDN will eventually end up being PAtoPharm career choice discussions.

We are the PAtoPharm. Your thread will be assimilated. Readmission is futile.

Reactions: 5 users
I know you mentioned that most of the time people will get hired by a nuclear pharmacy and will get trained that way. Most of my searches for job openings show that they want you to already be a nuclear pharmacist and have experience in nuclear pharmacy. Is this typically just what they advertise because they prefer it but don't absolutely require it, or how would I find a place that will train me on the job like you mentioned? I graduate this upcoming May.

I know you mentioned that most of the time people will get hired by a nuclear pharmacy and will get trained that way. Most of my searches for job openings show that they want you to already be a nuclear pharmacist and have experience in nuclear pharmacy. Is this typically just what they advertise because they prefer it but don't absolutely require it, or how would I find a place that will train me on the job like you mentioned? I graduate this upcoming May.
Times have changed greatly since this post was first made.

LOL.

You'll be lucky to get a rare job without a residency

LOL.

Ironically enough, nuclear pharmacy was sort of my "hail mary" that I had set my sights on pursuing as a viable pharmacy career niche back when I still in pharm school. I recall that at the time (this was pretty recent -- fall 2016 and spring 2017 semesters), I was told that you only needed to get the nuclear pharmacy-specific training ("Authorized User" is what they call it, I believe) to qualify for nuclear pharmacy jobs. Are they seriously requiring pharmacists to complete residencies in nuc. pharm. just to qualify for entry-level jobs? It's amazing how rapidly things keep declining in this profession (pharmacy in general, not just nuc.)...

So, do nuclear pharmacists develop hand problems/arthritis/DeQuervains at a higher rate?

I remember in our compounding labs, drawing up from a vial in one of those huge shields was a real pain.

Not studied (too small n and the financial consequences), but from experience, you are taught some grip exercises and I actually did them before working. Yeah, that was a open complaint among us that we would get RA from this job. Might be a moot point since the profession at large is collapsing :). Seriously though, it's not like you do those motions all day, you spend a good deal of time with paperwork and I can see carpal tunnel from being lazy and filling out the forms with bad positioning because you just can't be bothered to get to the outside desk.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL.

There's residencies for this now (except the notorious WRNMMC "pharmacy" residency where graduates have "disappeared" to DoE)?! Damn, I thought the MS was enough of a *(#$ing PITA for PIC jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)

It really depends on the desirability of the location and what the applicant pool looks like. Because as with all areas of pharmacy, if you have a strong pool and several candidates with experience and training...why would they look at applicants that lack it? So sure, there are openings where they will still hire a fresh new grad with no Authorized User training...but it's becoming much more competitive every day with a stronger, more talented applicant pool. To be completely honest (and this is very different from when I was hired 10+ years ago)...your chances decrease without the experience).

.I'll preface this by saying that I work in one of the busiest pharmacies in the country. Our full-time pharmacists are salaried, and we'll work a minimum of 40 hours/week. Being salaried allows us the flexibility to take a few hours off here and there if we need to pick the kids up early, go to a dentist appt, etc. On the other hand...I won't leave a co-worker swamped with a ton of work, so will more times than not work far more than 40 hours/week. We do have a part-timer on staff too, and she'll usually work 2-3 days/week. So yes, it is possible to find part-time positions in the field as well. .

Now, the reason I prefaced this by saying I work at a very busy pharmacy is...yes, there are slower nuclear pharmacies across the country (think the Shreveports, Hattiesburgs, Charlottesvilles, etc.), whose number of hospitals they serve is far far less, possibly allowing them to get the runs out much faster and work fewer hours. So, these are probably the type of pharmacies you've heard of. It all goes into the trade-off of where you like to live, metropolitan vs. rural, the size of the pharmacy, and their staffing situation..

Compounding background of any sort would absolutely help as a nuclear pharmacist. Whether you have background working in the IV room in a hospital, infusion pharmacy, etc...all of those skills would translate well to the "compounding" side of our job, from being able to do all of the calculations, aseptic technique, working with a "recipe" and always thinking one step ahead; planning the run in your head depending on which doses are most critical; this would definitely be a great background. But remember, being a nuclear pharmacist isn't all about compounding in the hood like a robot. You have to be good at everything from the clinical applications, customer service, managing your technicians, drivers, etc....it's a very wide range of duties..

Nuclear pharm techs will generally make $15-20/hour. Students who want to work in a nuclear pharmacy during school will most likely work weekends. To begin with, overnight hours during the week would be pretty hard to pull of while taking classes...and there are no doses drawn in a nuclear pharmacy during the late afternoon. Weekend runs are a great shift to get a taste for work in the pharmacy though, because the pace is much slower..

By all means, if you're interested...contact your nearby pharmacies and see if they have any openings!! You'll just have to be persistent until you find something..

Uh OH, Shreveport getting a mention! ;)

I know this is an old post, but I really appreciated the information in this thread. I had a background in QC for a generics company in Shreveport before I got into pharmacy school, and have really gravitated towards nuclear due to the many similarities in the work environment.

Uh OH, Shreveport getting a mention! ;)

I know this is an old post, but I really appreciated the information in this thread. I had a background in QC for a generics company in Shreveport before I got into pharmacy school, and have really gravitated towards nuclear due to the many similarities in the work environment. .........

:thumbup::thumbup:

tenor.gif
Nahhhh...I retired. .
Gosh. you make me feel like TO...

I did some training in a nuclear lab...probably the only really interesting field I have ever encountered in pharmacy...BUT (as usual)...it was an oh dark thirty get up and you always had a glow about you..I got some gallium in a finger crease and it counted for days...How do youse guyz get thru an airport?

I did some training in a nuclear lab...probably the only really interesting field I have ever encountered in pharmacy...BUT (as usual)...it was an oh dark thirty get up and you always had a glow about you..I got some gallium in a finger crease and it counted for days...How do youse guyz get thru an airport?

Ga-67? Why were you allowed to handle RAM without gloves on? Skin contamination should rarely, if ever occur.

Ga-67? Why were you allowed to handle RAM without gloves on? Skin contamination should rarely, if ever occur.
It was a different world...In my youth, employment often involved risk...mixed with fun.....no adventure (or getting the job done) without risk...I'm sure that the labs are different now...You get more rays on a long haul at 360....It may explain my twitch....

Ironically enough, nuclear pharmacy was sort of my "hail mary" that I had set my sights on pursuing as a viable pharmacy career niche back when I still in pharm school. I recall that at the time (this was pretty recent -- fall 2016 and spring 2017 semesters), I was told that you only needed to get the nuclear pharmacy-specific training ("Authorized User" is what they call it, I believe) to qualify for nuclear pharmacy jobs. Are they seriously requiring pharmacists to complete residencies in nuc. pharm. just to qualify for entry-level jobs? It's amazing how rapidly things keep declining in this profession (pharmacy in general, not just nuc.)...

I just checked the ASHP Residency Directory today; not one program for Nuclear Pharmacy PGY2 was available. Even the description for WRNMMC is not seen.

The ASHP PGY2 residency objectives have been present since 2009, yet the only residency I know of is the one mentioned here: WRNMMC. That residency was present when I was in school and I was only a recent graduate (2018).

To address the correctness of the information, the term "Authorized User" is still allowed for Nuclear Pharmacy. I was looking at that path during my PY1 year and toured a facility in Tampa, FL. The "Authorized User" training is still required by FL law but you can still be trained by someone else; someone just has to let you in.

Nuclear Pharmacy, to my knowledge, is considered an apprenticeship; a residency is not mentioned as a requirement to work in a nuclear pharmacy. I would double-check your sources so we all can benefit and not be scared by the "residency-or-bust" mentality tauted or implied by today's pharmacy schools.

The link for the ASHP PGY2 in Nuclear Pharmacy objectives is here for your information:

https://www.ashp.org/-/media/assets...hash=2F988A9B821156AFEE7A1295320C51C2F017764E

I think you need a certain "glow" about you in order to be in the field; it is highly specialized.

Last edited:
I just checked the ASHP Residency Directory today; not one program for Nuclear Pharmacy PGY2 was available. Even the description for WRNMMC is not seen.

The ASHP PGY2 residency objectives have been present since 2009, yet the only residency I know of is the one mentioned here: WRNMMC. That residency was present when I was in school and I was only a recent graduate (2018).

To address the correctness of the information, the term "Authorized User" is still allowed for Nuclear Pharmacy. I was looking at that path during my PY1 year and toured a facility in Tampa, FL. The "Authorized User" training is still required by FL law but you can still be trained by someone else; someone just has to let you in.

Nuclear Pharmacy, to my knowledge, is considered an apprenticeship; a residency is not mentioned as a requirement to work in a nuclear pharmacy. I would double-check your sources so we all can benefit and not be scared by the "residency-or-bust" mentality tauted or implied by today's pharmacy schools.

The link for the ASHP PGY2 in Nuclear Pharmacy objectives is here for your information:

https://www.ashp.org/-/media/assets...hash=2F988A9B821156AFEE7A1295320C51C2F017764E

I think you need a certain "glow" about you in order to be in the field; it is highly specialized.

No, because nuclear was not conceived as a residency in the first place. As BCNP is the original Board Certification mandated by DoE, it was run as a graduate school program. I was actually surprised that there was a residency.

No, because nuclear was not conceived as a residency in the first place. As BCNP is the original Board Certification mandated by DoE, it was run as a graduate school program. I was actually surprised that there was a residency.

Exactly. Residency has never been the primary route for this specialty.

Bump..

Any nuclear folks still around? How’s job market, pay, work-conditions etc. ?