Day in the Life of a Nuclear Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know I am probably already a little late to the game, but I am a recent graduate looking to start my pharmacy career and as I have been looking I like nuclear pharmacy more and more. The problem is I just don't know where to start. I know jobs in this area are hard to come by, but where do I even start looking? I looked at Cardinals website, but didn't seen any current openings I have seen a couple post advertising jobs and training, but there are from different recruiting companies. I am always a little weary of trusting these ads. They seem just to good to be true. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know I am probably already a little late to the game, but I am a recent graduate looking to start my pharmacy career and as I have been looking I like nuclear pharmacy more and more. The problem is I just don't know where to start. I know jobs in this area are hard to come by, but where do I even start looking? I looked at Cardinals website, but didn't seen any current openings I have seen a couple post advertising jobs and training, but there are from different recruiting companies. I am always a little weary of trusting these ads. They seem just to good to be true. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PM me your contact info.

I have been following this page for many years (currently an undergraduate studying biochemistry) and nothing makes me more excited than nuclear pharmacy. I want to get into Pharmacy school already.

I just had a quick question. I've been looking at the nuclear pharmacy programs in various schools and wondered how the rotations would work? Can Nuclear Pharmacy be explored while doing the core professional years or is it pursued after one is done with the PharmD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Purdue University in Indiana has a nuclear pharmacy track. I believe there are other programs at others schools too, but I don't remember which specific schools.

I have been following this page for many years (currently an undergraduate studying biochemistry) and nothing makes me more excited than nuclear pharmacy. I want to get into Pharmacy school already.

I just had a quick question. I've been looking at the nuclear pharmacy programs in various schools and wondered how the rotations would work? Can Nuclear Pharmacy be explored while doing the core professional years or is it pursued after one is done with the PharmD?

Purdue University in Indiana has a nuclear pharmacy track. I believe there are other programs at others schools too, but I don't remember which specific schools.

The University of Oklahoma has one.

You can work on your nuclear training if you attend a school that offers an "Authorized User" program concurrently with the PharmD curriculum (as I mentioned in my original posts, there are a handful that do).

I personally am not a huge proponent of this, even though I am beyond thrilled with my choice to specialize in nuclear. Focus on becoming a great all around pharmacist, period. Then decide what you want to specialize in (whether it be nuclear, ID, oncology, etc. etc. etc.) It'll make you a better pharmacist in the long run.

There's no sense narrowing yourself down so early on.....

Reactions: 1 user
As a recent grad, I've applied to several places in my area for nuclear pharmacy, or even just finding a preceptor for nuclear pharmacy, but sadly I haven't had much luck. Since I'm only licensed in NY atm I guess I'll save up until I can move to another area to find a preceptor/employer somewhere down the line.

Hi all. I am currently a P4. Been thinking more and more about what I want to do after graduation. I'm looking more and more into nuclear pharmacy. What I hear so far about nuclear pharmacy sounds like something I would like to do. I have a nuclear pharmacy rotation next block. I'm currently located in the Atlanta area. How hard is it to find a nuclear pharmacy job? And how do I go about in getting into this field? Thanks!

Hospitals and clinics view nuclear pharmacies as any other supplier/vendor. We charge each account per dose based on the agreed contract price (if they have one, or, a non-contracted price). The hospital or clinic will then in turn bill the third-party payer. Hospitals are now limited to billing per procedure (i.e. it's bundled into just one code). However, for the time being, outpatient clinics are permited to bill under three codes. As a result, hospitals are limited on the amount they're reimbursed. This is why the person responsible for billing at the hospital has to be extremely careful...there are many codes for each procedure (and it can make or break whether the hospital is reimbursed for each correctly).

So, there's the long-winded answer to your question, but, yes! Insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid definitely cover nuclear med procedures.
I've been an intern in a nuclear pharmacy for over two years and have an opportunity at a local NP coming up in a few months once I get my PharmD and license. It's what I've wanted to do throughout my adventure as a pharmacy student. I know more than my peers and ultimately that means I know more about the downside lol. Currently there seems to be reimbursement issues that are negatively impacting the business. I've heard that radiologists tend to prefer MRI, if it is a viable alternative for the disease state, due to the higher reimbursements. Can you shed light on this?

Additionally, my wife and I recently had our first child and I see our future differently now. Your comments regarding the fact we must keep current on "normal" drugs such as new Xa inhibitors really hits home. Here's my dilemna: Nuclear often requires moving to different locations in order to maintain a career in this industry. We don't want to move far from where we are and this may pose a problem. So, a scenario keeps going through my head. Say I take my first job out of school as an ANP and after three years I am "forced" to relocate within the company that provides 55% of the market's radiopharmaceuticals (You can probably figure out the company now). I decline the offer and am left looking for "normal" positions within our profession such as hospital pharmacy. I wonder how competitive I would be with experience in nuclear versus a candidate with "normal" pharmacy experience. Obviously aseptic technique, USP 797 reqs and compounding calcs would apply but what else would translate? Please do your thing and sprinkle your brilliance to enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

What I'd like to know is if the young lady in the first post is representative of nuclear pharmacists

Hi! I came upon your post while just googling random pharmacy stuff. I seriously did not even know this subsection of pharmacy even existed before your post but your one post was sure informational! Now I think I might want to pursue nuclear pharmacy after graduation. My school doesn't have a nuclear program, so is it too late to do anything about it? I'm still in my freshman year (first year out of six).
How do you recommend getting more experience in pharmacy, in general as a first year? I know some people in my year are pharm techs but there aren't any pharm tech openings near where I live.
I know this is kind of a personal question but how much was your starting wage? Was it hard to find a job as a nuclear pharmacist in the city you wanted?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is great. Thanks for the original post spiriva. Even though it was a few years ago.

Hi! I came upon your post while just googling random pharmacy stuff. I seriously did not even know this subsection of pharmacy even existed before your post but your one post was sure informational! Now I think I might want to pursue nuclear pharmacy after graduation. My school doesn't have a nuclear program, so is it too late to do anything about it? I'm still in my freshman year (first year out of six).
How do you recommend getting more experience in pharmacy, in general as a first year? I know some people in my year are pharm techs but there aren't any pharm tech openings near where I live.
I know this is kind of a personal question but how much was your starting wage? Was it hard to find a job as a nuclear pharmacist in the city you wanted?

what area of the country are you in? there aren't many choices when it comes to nuke.

The fact that your program doesn't have a nuclear pharmacy track shouldn't inhibit you (very few pharmacy schools do). Do any of the centralized nuclear pharmacy companies have a site in your area that you can shadow/intern at? That is your first step to cracking in.

My starting salary 7 years ago has no bearing...but it is competitive to other specialties.

Difficult to find a job? Yes. It always has been if you are selective in where you want to live. At any given time, there are only a handful of openings throughout the country. And this has been the case for years (even before RPh surplus).

UPDATE...typical reply I send to PM's regarding breaking into the nuclear pharmacy arena...
_____

Nice of you to reach out to me, and hopefully I can provide some answers.

In all honesty, the outlook on breaking into nuclear has changed dramatically in the years since I first started. It used to be that you came out of Rx school (or applied as a pharmacist looking to change specialty), applied for an opening with a nuclear pharmacy, and could find “a” position somewhere in the country.

7+ years down the road now, and I am in a supervisory/pharmacist hiring position. I’ve had several openings in the past couple years…and given the changing pharmacist landscape…I’m allowed to be far more selective with the candidates I consider. It’s good for the employers of course, but far more challenging for applicants that don’t have nuclear experience. I get applications from internal candidates looking to relocate, or pharmacists that have worked in nuclear for another company, students who took nuclear classes in Rx school and are already “AU”. In all honesty, it makes it unrealistic for me to consider candidates who don’t have this kind of experience under their belt.

With that said, of course it’s never impossible. Some areas of the country may not be getting the applicant pool that I see. Pursuing authorized user training out of your own pocket will definitely make you more desirable, even though I understand that this is a tough financial hit to take personally (especially when your hiring company would foot the bill it if they hired you without it).

Bottom line feedback that I can give you: apply to openings with your current retail (non-nuclear) experience. See what happens…if nuclear is 100% your dream job and you are dead set in cracking in, consider the training programs available (i.e. Purdue, Tennessee, etc.) , which would make you a far more desirable candidate for companies who can now be far more selective of who they hire!

Reactions: 1 users
What is the easiest nuclear program out there? Please I want to learn nuclear, but if it is anything like pharmacy school, I learned 10 times more during my rotation than sitting in class. I want a good foundation class and I already have the best nuclear site to learn from for my residency. Please help fast!!!!!

What is the easiest nuclear program out there? Please I want to learn nuclear, but if it is anything like pharmacy school, I learned 10 times more during my rotation than sitting in class. I want a good foundation class and I already have the best nuclear site to learn from for my residency. Please help fast!!!!!

edit: apparently i didn't even finish reading your question before i commented, but i'm leaving it because i typed it. but i think the university of new mexico/arkansas (and maybe purdue?) offers the best online program.

http://www.nuclearonline.org/index.asp

Rx schools don't even discuss nuclear pharmacy (except maybe 2 minutes on thyroid material) and you won't learn much from a school that offers a single nuke elective class. you have to go to one that offers AU certification (4 semesters of electives) and all AU programs should be relatively equal. there are set topics that need to discussed (see: http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/forms/nrc313a(anp).pdf). you'll also need to do 12 weeks of rotations/work experience anyway to meet the requirements.

Last edited:
I am a PY2 student diligently seeking a career in Nuclear Pharmacy. I already shadowed a Pharmacist through Cardinal Health during my PY1 year (Spring Semester) and loved it. I could not lift the Moly generator, but I am building up to it through Tae Kwon Do training in addition to strength training (80 lbs or greater is my goal).

To my understanding, Nuclear Pharmacy is a niche field and involves exclusively dispensing and quality control roles (as opposed to the clinical fields preached by most pharmacy programs). I also read SpirivaSunrise's thread on it with regards to the "Day in the Life" of a Nuclear Pharmacist; my enthusiasm for such a field has not changed.

For some background, I attend a relatively new school that was recently accredited and with no courses or electives pertaining to Nuclear Pharmacy (all clinical and community related, I'm afraid). My grades and motivation decreased precipitously due to my little interest in the future role we as pharmacy students are being prepped for (clinical pharmacy services, MTM services, Provider Status, etcetera). With regards to Nuclear Pharmacy, various Human Resources departments and instructors at my school tell me to wait until my PY4 year to sign up for rotations to gain my experience, yet I knew from the start of my PY1 year that I am in need of consistent experience, from now until rotations, to make myself more competitive to employers. I have little interest in community, independent, retail, hospital, and clinical specialty pharmacy and have already decided on Nuclear Pharmacy as the option for my future career. The internships related to Nuclear Pharmacy that I have applied to so far I received no replies back.

From the information I provided, I am seeking a solution more than advice. I am still willing to pursue Nuclear Pharmacy as an option. What do any of you guys suggest I do at this point?

I am a PY2 student diligently seeking a career in Nuclear Pharmacy. I already shadowed a Pharmacist through Cardinal Health during my PY1 year (Spring Semester) and loved it. I could not lift the Moly generator, but I am building up to it through Tae Kwon Do training in addition to strength training (80 lbs or greater is my goal).

To my understanding, Nuclear Pharmacy is a niche field and involves exclusively dispensing and quality control roles (as opposed to the clinical fields preached by most pharmacy programs). I also read SpirivaSunrise's thread on it with regards to the "Day in the Life" of a Nuclear Pharmacist; my enthusiasm for such a field has not changed.

For some background, I attend a relatively new school that was recently accredited and with no courses or electives pertaining to Nuclear Pharmacy (all clinical and community related, I'm afraid). My grades and motivation decreased precipitously due to my little interest in the future role we as pharmacy students are being prepped for (clinical pharmacy services, MTM services, Provider Status, etcetera). With regards to Nuclear Pharmacy, various Human Resources departments and instructors at my school tell me to wait until my PY4 year to sign up for rotations to gain my experience, yet I knew from the start of my PY1 year that I am in need of consistent experience, from now until rotations, to make myself more competitive to employers. I have little interest in community, independent, retail, hospital, and clinical specialty pharmacy and have already decided on Nuclear Pharmacy as the option for my future career. The internships related to Nuclear Pharmacy that I have applied to so far I received no replies back.

From the information I provided, I am seeking a solution more than advice. I am still willing to pursue Nuclear Pharmacy as an option. What do any of you guys suggest I do at this point?

How much does the Moly generator weigh?

I'll tell you right now though. Nuclear Pharmacy only represents ~1% of pharmacist jobs. I believe recently the number of jobs have been reduced due to a recent movement towards a certain type of nuclear pharmacy practice. You'll have your work cut out for you in terms of finding a job in this field.

You're right in that, if you want to obtain a job in this field, you're going to have to be proactive. While a rotation at a nuclear pharmacy is definitely a step you'll want tot take, you're going to want to obtain a tech or intern job with a nuclear pharmacy (but good luck sorting the hours with them. They'll mostly want you overnight).

How much does the Moly generator weigh?

I'll tell you right now though. Nuclear Pharmacy only represents ~1% of pharmacist jobs. I believe recently the number of jobs have been reduced due to a recent movement towards a certain type of nuclear pharmacy practice. You'll have your work cut out for you in terms of finding a job in this field.

You're right in that, if you want to obtain a job in this field, you're going to have to be proactive. While a rotation at a nuclear pharmacy is definitely a step you'll want tot take, you're going to want to obtain a tech or intern job with a nuclear pharmacy (but good luck sorting the hours with them. They'll mostly want you overnight).

Thank you for the tips, TheBlaah.

Below is a brainstorm of possible options for acquiring the hours, affording the course, and scheduling and availability sorting; a question; and a possible answer to your previous question.

Our school requires 7 six-week rotations consisting of five required and two electives. To my understanding, I will need two six-week elective rotations in Nuclear Pharmacy to allocate the amount of hours necessary (480 hours if attending 40 hours per week); If I decide to take the rotation route, I will have to figure out how to squeeze in the other 20 hours to the total of 500. The Authorized Use (AU) training through a specific program (UAMS, Purdue, or the UNM NEO course) is also required with a hefty fee (between $7200 and $7800 depending on the program), which makes up the 200 (or more) didactic hours in addition to the 500 practice hours. A pharmacist's salary could front the cost of the AU after graduation, but so could financial aid now as well as the option of the potential employer fronting the cost of training. In my case as a student, it is not so much sorting the hours as it is landing the position and maintaining the workload (and sanity) during the PY3 year (assuming such a position is earned/acquired by August). There is also the issue of having those hours logged in as preceptor hours rather than paid hours, assuming both are separate. The PY3 Fall schedule is already out and I am already reviewing previous material and moving into PY3 material.

For our PY3 year practice experiences, our school has a summer block rotation schedule as well as a winter block rotation schedule as options where each student has 60 hours of training in 5 weeks each block. Blocks 1, 2, and 3 are chosen at random and are the first five weeks, the second five weeks, and the third five weeks of each semester. If both summer and winter block can be acquired in the same year (fingers crossed), the hours can be sorted throughout the PY3 year as follows:

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights and weeknights (9 pm-7 am depending upon employer availability) throughout the PY3 year up until rotations.

Also, when you mention "a recent movement towards a certain type of nuclear pharmacy practice," what type of nuclear pharmacy practice are you referring to? Also, so this conversation does not take up this thread, how can I contact you or who can you refer me to discuss such issues?

To answer your question, I lifted the lead sealing the Technetium-99m. The job description to most Nuclear Pharmacy Technician positions say one must lift over 80 lbs. Therefore, the weight of the generator must be greater than that, not including the elution components. Plus, I will have to maintain consistent and strong stamina throughout each shift.

FYI: This is my last summer break before rotations. You are right, though; I have my work cut out for me. This is going to be fun.

Reviewing my answers above...not much has changed in the past two years. I'll copy the following reply and tell you it all still applies...

UPDATE...typical reply I send to PM's regarding breaking into the nuclear pharmacy arena...
_____

In all honesty, the outlook on breaking into nuclear has changed dramatically in the years since I first started. It used to be that you came out of Rx school (or applied as a pharmacist looking to change specialty), applied for an opening with a nuclear pharmacy, and could find “a” position somewhere in the country.

7+ years down the road now, and I am in a supervisory/pharmacist hiring position. I’ve had several openings in the past couple years…and given the changing pharmacist landscape…I’m allowed to be far more selective with the candidates I consider. It’s good for the employers of course, but far more challenging for applicants that don’t have nuclear experience. I get applications from internal candidates looking to relocate, or pharmacists that have worked in nuclear for another company, students who took nuclear classes in Rx school and are already “AU”. In all honesty, it makes it unrealistic for me to consider candidates who don’t have this kind of experience under their belt.

With that said, of course it’s never impossible. Some areas of the country may not be getting the applicant pool that I see. Pursuing authorized user training out of your own pocket will definitely make you more desirable, even though I understand that this is a tough financial hit to take personally (especially when your hiring company would foot the bill it if they hired you without it).

Bottom line feedback that I can give you: apply to openings with your current retail (non-nuclear) experience. See what happens…if nuclear is 100% your dream job and you are dead set in cracking in, consider the training programs available (i.e. Purdue, Tennessee, etc.) , which would make you a far more desirable candidate for companies who can now be far more selective of who they hire!

Deciding that you want to pursue nuclear is a bold move early in your student career. But I'd say that about any specialty. Keep your paths open. You chose to become a pharmacist before you knew nuclear pharmacy existed, I presume? I love my specialty and highly encourage anyone to consider it; but you have to be realistic too. What do you mean you are seeking a solution from us more than advice?

Also, your summary that nuclear pharmacy is a niche field that "involves exclusively dispensing and quality control roles (as opposed to the clinical fields preached by most pharmacy programs)" is completely incorrect. If you could clarify what you mean so that I can make sure you're not committing yourself to something you'll end up hating and being unsuccessful at...

The new Mallinckrodt V4 generators are the heaviest ones out on the market now; somewhere around 75 lbs. Sure, you need to be able to lift this, but EH&S protocols will be in place to ensure employees reduce the risk of injury doing so.

A lot of changes are coming to our field with Mo-99 supply and the move to low-enriched uranium and domestic supply. I don't know what the landscape will look like in the next couple years, but can say it will be very different from yesterday and today.

Good luck because these jobs are hard to come by. I did an internship with Cardinal Health and completed the nuclear pharmacy training program at my school to satisfy the requirements for AU status, but graduating in 2013 left me with few options in the field. I took a different path, but as with anything, if you are diligent and willing to make sacrifices you can probably achieve it.

I agree with Spiriva about how Nuclear has changed. After 8 years in nuclear I had to get out last year. I had a manager who totally overreacted to the price increase on MAA and made a unilateral decision that our pharmacy would be open 24 hours. Yes, no on call, call at any time and you will never pay an after hours stat charge. Oh, and "90% of the time we'll have it to you in an hour." (Overheard the manager tell this to the head of biggest hospital group we serviced)

This manager would basically never tell a customer no. So what the pharmacists were working 12 hour shifts till midnight one week then in at midnight the next week (because right after we committed to 24 hours 1 of our 4 pharmacists left and it took a long time to hire someone else). Ironic thing is this manager fleed the chaos they created 3 months after I left. Stupid scheduling too. 1 pharmacist had to work evening shift till midnight, so they scheduled it so that this was the SAME pharmacist Monday through Sunday. That was fun being newly married and I would not see my wife awake that week since she went to work in the morning.

Maybe someday I'll get back into nuclear with a company like Cardinal who actually sets guidelines and doesn't kill their pharmacists. Before we went to 24 hours there were 3 weekends where I was on call, sleeping at the pharmacy, and didn't go home between 5 pm Friday evening and Monday morning.

I loved nuclear back when it was normal rotating shifts at a busy but reasonable pharmacy with 4 or 5 pharmacists. Always off from 4 pm to midnight, on call sometimes but would only get 1-2 calls per week. Seems those are days of the past. Went to retail and it had its challenges but work isn't a 24/7 endeavor and feeling a lot healthier not working overnights.

Cardinal is not any better! Only go Nuclear if it's PETNET or Independent. Cardinal and GE will probably not be in the game in a couple years. PET (Positron emission tomography)is the only future of Nuclear and SPECT ( Single-photon emission computed tomography) is not profitable (majority of Cardinal and GE). Cardinal is trying to move more into PET, but in California where I work, got owned by PETNET. They built an expensive cyclotron in Sacramento, but due to their lousy service, most of the accounts left to PETNET.
Pros of Nuclear Pharmacy:
⦁ No Patient interaction (could be a con for some), all orders are over the phone, fax, or web order
⦁ Get to compound
⦁ Get to call yourself a Nuclear Pharmacist

Cons of Nuclear Pharmacy:
⦁ You deal with radiation which is harmful (hormesis my a$$), and sooner or later you will stick yourself (not fun depending on isotope)
⦁ Hours (possible pro), include graveyard, early hours, and weekends. Horrible for someone with a family
⦁ You will be on call. A pharmacist has to be available 24hrs a day. Ok when there were 3-4 pharmacist per lab, but since Nuclear is no longer profitable, overlap was laid off, and expect to have the pager 33-50% of the time. For Cardinal you get paid $10 on the weekday, $25 on the weekend to carry the pager (may have dropped since I left) . Have fun staying within a 15 min radius of work (all in-town accounts were promised to get meds within an hour) and getting paid for $10-25 for your trouble.
⦁ You get paid less than retail or clinical pharmacy
⦁ SPECT will likey return to some Nuclear Tech compounding the medications needed in the Hospital or Institution that needs them. 90% of SPECT compounding is Cardiolite and Myoview (rest/stress test) which have been generic forever with a very low profitability margin. There are many competitive alternatives gaining in popularity; Echocardiogram, Rubidium-82, and even MRI and CT. If more Hospitals and Institutions adopt these alternatives, say goodbye to the majority of SPECT labs. There are only like ~10 other SPECT radiopharmaceuticals, with no new SPECT agents being developed. Current model does not justify a central place for compounding for SPECT. SPECT is probably about 90%-95% of Nuclear Pharmacy Jobs, and Nuclear Pharmacy is only about 1%-5% of all Pharmacy Jobs
⦁ Cardinal Specific: Pharmacists in upper management that started Nuclear in the ~70s forced to retire or laid off. Replaced by MBAs and outside consulting firm. Multiple labs closed due to not being profitable. Staff cuts/layoffs (including Pharmacists, Techs, and all ancillary staff). They also have a habit of promoting uppity Pharmacy Techs to lab managers and regional managers. Yes, if not a MBA, a Pharmacy Tech will write the performance evaluation of a Pharmacist.

Worked 7 years in Nuclear, and am much happier now working retail in a grocery chain. Talked to a floater that also used to work Nuclear. Said getting out of Nuclear was the best thing he ever did; normal hours, not being on call, and paid more. You are not alone rx1983.

End Rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, does anyone know what the average starting salary for nuclear pharmacists in the southeast is?

Just curious, does anyone know what the average starting salary for nuclear pharmacists in the southeast is?
When I left a year ago they were starting people around 110, probably is about the same now.

Hi, I am interested in Nuclear pharmacy. I was wondering how I would go about doing something like a shadowing or an internship.

When I left a year ago they were starting people around 110, probably is about the same now.

Have two friends that did/tried Nuclear. One I lost touch with but that person got a job in Mississippi straight out of school. The other went to retail but got certified, after about a year of looking finally got an offer in Pennsylvania area ( I think either pitt or philly not sure tho), pay was very low like 100-105k, they made 135k plus at walgreens in Arizona, they didn't think the pay cut was worth it.

Cardinal is not any better! Only go Nuclear if it's PETNET or Independent. Cardinal and GE will probably not be in the game in a couple years. PET (Positron emission tomography)is the only future of Nuclear and SPECT ( Single-photon emission computed tomography) is not profitable (majority of Cardinal and GE). Cardinal is trying to move more into PET, but in California where I work, got owned by PETNET. They built an expensive cyclotron in Sacramento, but due to their lousy service, most of the accounts left to PETNET.
Pros of Nuclear Pharmacy:
⦁ No Patient interaction (could be a con for some), all orders are over the phone, fax, or web order
⦁ Get to compound
⦁ Get to call yourself a Nuclear Pharmacist

Cons of Nuclear Pharmacy:
⦁ You deal with radiation which is harmful (hormesis my a$$), and sooner or later you will stick yourself (not fun depending on isotope)
⦁ Hours (possible pro), include graveyard, early hours, and weekends. Horrible for someone with a family
⦁ You will be on call. A pharmacist has to be available 24hrs a day. Ok when there were 3-4 pharmacist per lab, but since Nuclear is no longer profitable, overlap was laid off, and expect to have the pager 33-50% of the time. For Cardinal you get paid $10 on the weekday, $25 on the weekend to carry the pager (may have dropped since I left) . Have fun staying within a 15 min radius of work (all in-town accounts were promised to get meds within an hour) and getting paid for $10-25 for your trouble.
⦁ You get paid less than retail or clinical pharmacy
⦁ SPECT will likey return to some Nuclear Tech compounding the medications needed in the Hospital or Institution that needs them. 90% of SPECT compounding is Cardiolite and Myoview (rest/stress test) which have been generic forever with a very low profitability margin. There are many competitive alternatives gaining in popularity; Echocardiogram, Rubidium-82, and even MRI and CT. If more Hospitals and Institutions adopt these alternatives, say goodbye to the majority of SPECT labs. There are only like ~10 other SPECT radiopharmaceuticals, with no new SPECT agents being developed. Current model does not justify a central place for compounding for SPECT. SPECT is probably about 90%-95% of Nuclear Pharmacy Jobs, and Nuclear Pharmacy is only about 1%-5% of all Pharmacy Jobs
⦁ Cardinal Specific: Pharmacists in upper management that started Nuclear in the ~70s forced to retire or laid off. Replaced by MBAs and outside consulting firm. Multiple labs closed due to not being profitable. Staff cuts/layoffs (including Pharmacists, Techs, and all ancillary staff). They also have a habit of promoting uppity Pharmacy Techs to lab managers and regional managers. Yes, if not a MBA, a Pharmacy Tech will write the performance evaluation of a Pharmacist.

Worked 7 years in Nuclear, and am much happier now working retail in a grocery chain. Talked to a floater that also used to work Nuclear. Said getting out of Nuclear was the best thing he ever did; normal hours, not being on call, and paid more. You are not alone rx1983.

End Rant.

I thought being an ANP was cool until I read your post. Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet

So aside from the fact that the nuclear pharmacist job market has always been small, an even bigger issue is that the specialty itself will likely cease to exist in the near future? More good news

And to respond to PAtoPharm of all people!

Yes, because I'm a doofus who logs on to SDN and just makes up random stuff, right? NOT

How about providing some evidence to the contrary that the anecdotal reports characterizing the nuclear pharmacy field as being in bad/worsening shape are false?

Yes, because I'm a doofus who logs on to SDN and just makes up random stuff, right? NOT

How about providing some evidence to the contrary that the anecdotal reports characterizing the nuclear pharmacy field as being in bad/worsening shape are false?
@ PA...whats the updates on aa/pa apps? any interviews or rejections? Im rooting for ya!!

@ PA...whats the updates on aa/pa apps? any interviews or rejections? Im rooting for ya!!

Thanks. Getting it all together. Applications open later this month for PA programs but not until this summer for AA programs. Applying to both -- why not?

Thanks. Getting it all together. Applications open later this month for PA programs but not until this summer for AA programs. Applying to both -- why not?

Wait so you are looking at Fall 2018 admittance or Spring 2018 admit? Is there no admittance at this stage for Fall this year??

Of course you should throw in apps to both PA/AA if they let you and if you have a chance! the app fee is nothing compared to having a major you can stand haha

Why would I try to contradict you?

Wait so you are looking at Fall 2018 admittance or Spring 2018 admit? Is there no admittance at this stage for Fall this year??

Of course you should throw in apps to both PA/AA if they let you and if you have a chance! the app fee is nothing compared to having a major you can stand haha

There are a few PA schools I am looking at applying to that would start classes in January 2018. For the AA programs I'm looking at, most of their application deadlines were either in the summer or fall (they don't need to extend their application deadlines to March like pharmacy schools), so I won't be able to apply until this summer, which means I won't be able to matriculate until summer 2018 if I get to go the AA route.

What PA program still has applications open for January 2018? As far as I'm aware, all applications for January start classes closed in March. I believe 3/01/2017 was the last deadline. I could be wrong, but it's just interesting to see there would still be applications open this late

What PA program still has applications open for January 2018? As far as I'm aware, all applications for January start classes closed in March. I believe 3/01/2017 was the last deadline. I could be wrong, but it's just interesting to see there would still be applications open this late

I don't want to be too specific, but I'm looking at some of the newer programs that have later application deadlines. Established programs probably won't touch an application from someone like myself, unless they extend interviewer offers solely on the basis of GPA and don't scrutinize applications on a class-by-class basis. I would also need to apply only to programs that do closed-file interviews

Hey that's awesome. It may not seem like it, but some people here are really pulling for you. Just put your head down and plow through these apps.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey that's awesome. It may not seem like it, but some people here are really pulling for you. Just put your head down and plow through these apps.

Thanks. You would be surprised... some of these newer PA programs are being opened up by relatively well-known universities, not just for-profit investor groups like you see happening in pharmacy