Dare you to reply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only field with more old crusty creepy men that are at high risk of being inappropriate with women than Radiation Oncology might be medical physics....
You are on fire today
Can’t like your posts enough

Members don't see this ad.

You are on fire today
Can’t like your posts enough
1666308894307.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I’d like to be to see data on amount of research in DEI per medical specialty based on competitiveness of residency spots . I have no framework outside of radonc to know if this is par for the course or are we an outlier.

Reactions: 3 users
I’d like to be to see data on amount of research in DEI per medical specialty based on competitiveness of residency spots . I have no framework outside of radonc to know if this is par for the course or are we an outlier.
The DEI pivot has been robust as radonc has ended up in the proverbial toilet of specialty competitiveness, match wise.

It definitely doesn't seem coincidental

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To be fair, I have seen a lot more minorities in fields like med onc… now ortho would be interesting.

To register for any Master Class, please select the class you would like to attend during the registration process.

Master Class: Centering on Equity: Reflecting on Unconscious Bias, Dominant Culture and Privilege​

Saturday, October 22 | 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.​

$25 - Members/Nonmember/Residents/Students

So, for 25 dollars you get to be a superstar champion?

To register for any Master Class, please select the class you would like to attend during the registration process.

Master Class: Centering on Equity: Reflecting on Unconscious Bias, Dominant Culture and Privilege​

Saturday, October 22 | 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.​

$25 - Members/Nonmember/Residents/Students

So, for 25 dollars you get to be a superstar champion?
No silly, it’s a contouring class!

They give you pictures of 10 people (it’s still ok to use that word, right?). Then you “contour” (aka circle) the ones you think fit into the appropriate gender and race categories. Then, they tell you what a bigoted and pan gender phobic person you are and educate you on your unconscious biases.

After you leave this seminar you should be more enlightened. Like these two boys here who learned about their white privilege:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

They give you pictures of 10 people (it’s still ok to use that word, right?). Then you “contour” (aka circle) the ones you think fit into the appropriate gender and race categories. Then, they tell you what a bigoted and pan gender phobic person you are and educate you on your unconscious biases.

After you leave this seminar you should be more enlightened. Like these two boys here who learned about their white privilege:

Oh, boomer cartoons!

Members don't see this ad :)

OMG I'm DYING HERE. SO FUNNY.

I hope Dr. Kekoa Taparra, MD from the Mayo Clinic, PhD from Johns Hopkins, doing his residency at Stanford, can tell us a thing or two about how to check our privilege after the DIE class.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
They did a new b&b too? Gotta say new DuckTales definitely isn't anything as good as the original
I've been enjoying it so far. Not every episode is great but there are several that are top notch.

Disclaimer: I have Paramount Plus for all things Star Trek and this is just a nice added bonus.

Does anyone know what happened at RRS meeting? Seems like there were some “incidents” questioning the trend toward DEI in our field… multiple mass emails in my inbox today from leadership.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I've been enjoying it so far. Not every episode is great but there are several that are top notch.

Disclaimer: I have Paramount Plus for all things Star Trek and this is just a nice added bonus.
Have been liking the new ST series, wish they would still continue with the movies, I guess it was financial decision for them.... half a trillion box office max won't cut it anymore.

Does anyone know what happened at RRS meeting? Seems like there were some “incidents” questioning the trend toward DEI in our field… multiple mass emails in my inbox today from leadership.
From what I heard, it’s a “white old man say bad thing”.

I think it was an actual legit sh*tty comment that instead of listening and finding common ground, the fella got castigated. Why learn when we can cancel ??

I think it was an actual legit sh*tty comment that instead of listening and finding common ground, the fella got castigated. Why learn when we can cancel ??
I remember in one of the ASTRO histories from I think Beryl McCormick how she “jokingly” told of a story where she and Jay Harris had a disagreement at a meeting over a breast treatment issue technicality. She said he didn’t speak to her for years. I don’t know if this is learned behavior in our field, or that our field attracts people with cancellation tendencies.

277FD2F2-DE03-4D14-81BC-2B69593D5424.jpeg

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
I remember in one of the ASTRO histories from I think Beryl McCormick how she “jokingly” told of a story where she and Jay Harris had a disagreement at a meeting over a breast treatment issue technicality. She said he didn’t speak to her for years. I don’t know if this is learned behavior in our field, or that our field attracts people with cancellation tendencies.

View attachment 361560
If I had a nickel every time I had a clinical disagreement that hurt a friendship …

I would have zero cents

What is wrong with the people in this field ?

Reactions: 13 users

Don’t know the comment, but several academics trafficking in wokeness claim to have “diversity labs”. Maybe they showed up at rrs and tried to pass this off as benchwork?

• Haha

Because any heretic who speaks against the religious dogma must be burned at the stake, lest other non-believers start to get ideas.

Socioeconomic Diversity of the Matriculating US Medical Student Body by Race/Ethnicity and Sex

paging @OTN

I think you've posted about this before but I have seen this first hand at my rinky dink state med school and more so at the prestigious ivory tower med school where I did residency.

socioeconomic diversity should be considered. my wife and i were talking about how the people from the lowest SES at our med school were actually non-hispanic whites from rural areas.

"Diversity" can mean many things, and I agree that socioeconomic diversity should also be considered. I would argue it's more important than racial/ethnic diversity, but they are, of course, linked, as this study reports.

Speaking about DEI allows the previous generation to virtue signal and castigate us while allowing rad onc to get slaughtered by CMS cuts and providing as many golden parachutes to the boomer crew as possible. It’s a great distraction tool for some while they let the future of the field burn.

This is probably going to cause a sh****orm, but I thought WeWhoCurie was restricted to women?

I am getting cancelled...

• Haha
  • Love
This is probably going to cause a sh****orm, but I thought WeWhoCurie was restricted to women?

I am getting cancelled...

Dear Lord.

Where are their masks? Shame Shame Shame. I don't even see the just incase masks "I was holding my breath" around the wrists. Don't they know covid still exists and is killing people? My news feed on my work computer launch screen (which I don't remember signing up for) is constantly informing me of the incoming"tripledemic" which means, we need at least 4 masks right?

Funny how that stopped being a thing a few weeks ago all at once once the important people decided it should stop being a thing 2 years after it should have rightfully stopped being a thing.

Dear Lord.

Where are their masks? Shame Shame Shame. I don't even see the just incase masks "I was holding my breath" around the wrists. Don't they know covid still exists and is killing people? My news feed on my work computer launch screen (which I don't remember signing up for) is constantly informing me of the incoming"tripledemic" which means, we need at least 4 masks right?

Funny how that stopped being a thing a few weeks ago all at once once the important people decided it should stop being a thing 2 years after it should have rightfully stopped being a thing.
Vaccines

Yes + boosters
We finally got the all clear to interact with patients without face coverings on a few weeks ago, which is just fantastic, because we can behave as, you know, normal human beings again the way doctors and patients have always done, and from what I have heard many of my colleagues did the same at the same time, which cannot be a coincidence.

But your comment is interesting to me. So it wasn't the vaccine, which was was found to not really be effective at protecting against transmission or infection but rather just serious illness/death, and came out out 2 years ago, nor the booster, which again same story and about a year ago was it novel, so what exactly changed over the past month? Curious why you are jumping to defend this obvious ridiculous nonsense?

MDACC, I love you and all your shameless masklessness. Go for it! Be an inspiration for us all. Antimask and womenwhocurie, I support both!

We finally got the all clear to interact with patients without face coverings on a few weeks ago, which is just fantastic, because we can behave as, you know, normal human beings again the way doctors and patients have always done, and from what I have heard many of my colleagues did the same at the same time, which cannot be a coincidence.

But your comment is interesting to me. So it wasn't the vaccine, which was was found to not really be effective at protecting against transmission or infection but rather just serious illness/death, and came out out 2 years ago, nor the booster, which again same story and about a year ago was it novel, so what exactly changed over the past month? Curious why you are jumping to defend this obvious ridiculous nonsense?

MDACC, I love you and all your shameless masklessness. Go for it! Be an inspiration for us all. Antimask and womenwhocurie, I support both!
It’s just the natural course of a pandemic, a new highly contagious virus, no adaptive immunity. People get it, develop immunity, new vaccines help to develop an immune response. The virus becomes endemic and less people die. I still wear masks by the way.

It’s just the natural course of a pandemic, a new highly contagious virus, no adaptive immunity. People get it, develop immunity, new vaccines help to develop an immune response. The virus becomes endemic and less people die. I still wear masks by the way.
I do too if a pt requests it. Moon, khe, turaco etc might be surprised that happens more often than you think

Patient facing of course.

I think poster means in non-required venues ?
We are voluntary pt facing as well. Easiest rule of thumb is probably to wear one when patient wearing one

Last edited:
We are still wearing masks over here in all areas where patients have access to. Patients and visitors also have to wear one.

We still wear masks when interacting with patients, and I don't see that ever going away.

Neither vaccines nor boosters prevent covid transmission and never have.

It’s just culture now. Masks have essentially reached pants status.
I do hope, noone will think about abolishing pants.
Neither vaccines nor boosters prevent covid transmission and never have.
I hear this argument all the time. And I think it's a wrong argument. Yes, neither masks nor boosters can exclude covid transmission, but both considerably limit covid transmission.
At some point during the pandemic, the whole value of vaccines was questioned since all the anti-vaxxers were like "Look, all the vaccinated people still get COVID! Vaccines are wortless!".
I caught COVID myself this spring despite 3 vaccines, but I firmly believe that I would have caught it earlier on, had I not been vaccinated. It is evident that high levels of antibodies will neutralize virus and decrease the chance of becoming infection. At some point, it's probably all a matter of level of antibodies and viral load you are exposed to, when you reach some ratio (+ other intrinsic factors) you simply get COVID.

I also presume that in the future we will have to endure some sort of regular immunization (perhaps with an "easier" vaccine) or simply catch COVID every year.

I hear this argument all the time. And I think it's a wrong argument. Yes, neither masks nor boosters can exclude covid transmission, but both considerably limit covid transmission.
At some point during the pandemic, the whole value of vaccines was questioned since all the anti-vaxxers were like "Look, all the vaccinated people still get COVID! Vaccines are wortless!".
I caught COVID myself this spring despite 3 vaccines, but I firmly believe that I would have caught it earlier on, had I not been vaccinated. It is evident that high levels of antibodies will neutralize virus and decrease the chance of becoming infection. At some point, it's probably all a matter of level of antibodies and viral load you are exposed to, when you reach some ratio (+ other intrinsic factors) you simply get COVID.

I also presume that in the future we will have to endure some sort of regular immunization (perhaps with an "easier" vaccine) or simply catch COVID every year.

There is no available data which supports the "both considerably limit covid transmission" statement.

Given that my cousin died from a vaccine-related heart injury at the age of 41, I will not be undergoing any further covid immunization.

• Wow
  • Sad
There is no available data which supports the "both considerably limit covid transmission" statement.

Given that my cousin died from a vaccine-related heart injury at the age of 41, I will not be undergoing any further covid immunization.

Not why vaccines were developed but still had an effect on it.

Last edited:

The curves seem to converge around month three post vaccination. So there probably are some reduced transmission data in that time frame, but that's about it...and it seems temporary.

I have had three shots and covid twice - once very symptomatic and the second time was minimal sniffles, only knew it because my kids tested +. I don't see a big reason for me to take any further vaccination. I just anticipate getting it regularly at this point.

I wear a mask intermittently around clinic based upon rates of cases of covid (and now flu!) in my area and/or on patient request. If a patient is wearing one I typically throw one on.

At this point I don’t think it really matters anymore. You are either for or against it. Good news is that less people are dying from it and I have a way to protect myself and my family. I live in an area where it’s acceptable to either wear a mask or not and there really isn’t any judgment.

I wear a mask intermittently around clinic based upon rates of cases of covid (and now flu!) in my area and/or on patient request. If a patient is wearing one I typically throw one on.
Pretty much how i handle it, or if i have symptoms.

It's not great for transmission but it does have an effect which wears off over time. Definite effects on mortality and overwhelming our healthcare system

I do too if a pt requests it. Moon, khe, turaco etc might be surprised that happens more often than you think
I'm not sure where you got the idea I would be combative with patients over masks. It's a very recent thing that policy has allowed maskless (can we just say normal?) patient interactions so this hasn't come up yet, but I'm sure it will (like the college professor patient I had who could not stop talking about politics at every OTV and insisted covid would be eradicated if everyone got the vaccine. Mmmmm-hmmm, yes, I agree, can we talk about your bowel movements though?). I have about as much interest in debating a mask-demanding patient as I do for coming into a 7AM meeting to discuss Press Ganey scores. The customer is always right, and I'd rather not have my name smeared on ratedoctors or the local reddit page by a i-want-to-talk-to-your-manager type.

I'm curious where in the EU Palex is. I was recently in a lesser visited european country that I won't name lest I doxx myself, and mask wearing was non-existent. Like not a single person. I don't think it would have even been socially acceptable if you wanted to. Even in the most conservative US states you still see a handful of families at wal-mart masked up. IMO there are 2 camps left: the family that uses is to make a political statement like a bumper sticker for their body (I have a family member and her friends are like this), and those that are still genuinely scared they might get it and die. I have a lot of empathy for the latter.

To be clear, we may be talking about different things re: masks. I live in a hyper-liberal enclave but I and ~ 80% of other people have stopped wearing masks in public (e.g. for shopping, restaurants, etc.). However masks in medical facilities remain mandatory for everyone. I have personally accepted the fact that (where I live anyway) this is will be status quo for a long time.

Also, though I promptly signed up for my initial COVID vaccine and booster, I too have become vaccine weary. I think the data for the initial x3 vaccine series was more robust than the current bivalent vaccine. Pfizer keeps on pumping out vaccines which are happily purchased by the US government at whatever cost Pfizer wants. I can't even imagine how many of those vaccines are discarded due to not being used and expiring.

I think we are done with COVID vaccine mandates for now. Even in liberal areas, people are tired of it and it is political suicide to push it.

What will you do when the hospitals mandate getting injected with Pfizer's next permutation of the shot lest you lose your privileges? You will suck it up and get it because our job market doesn't really give us any other choice but to let them inject us with things we may not want to be injected with.

You can see what has happened with mandatory influenza vaccination and how that has insidiously become widespread over the past decade. I am sure most people believe flu shots prevent you from asymptomatically spreading flu to patients while at work, even though there is very little evidence for this as the flu is overwhelmingly transmitted by sick people coughing and sneezing everywhere. So don't come to work when you're sick. The dirty little secret is that healthcare organizations support this because it is financially in their interests to not have a lot of staff out sick and they sell it under the guise of doing good for their patients. Perhaps there is an argument to be made that it maintains the workforce during bad flu seasons, but that's not how it's sold. Perversely, mandating flu vaccination might actually increase the rates of staff coming to work sick and spreading it as they believe they are "safe" and are only mildly ill since the vaccine reduced their symptoms, so it's probably not the flu and they don't want to burn PTO by calling out sick, and god forbid the hospitals give employees any more time off.

As a med student, I very clearly remember being told calling out sick during intense rotations like surgery was unacceptable, and if you had a fever, you were expected to take some tylenol, and hydrate. Stories of residents getting IVs so they could keep working were real. So the virtue signalling around the flu shot has always seemed disingenuous to me and always been a huge pet peeve of mine, and I have zero doubt the same thing will happen with covid shots.