CPME’s turn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While I agree that there are too many podiatry schools and this creates over saturation, IMO the bigger problem for podiatry is reimbursements. It's a financial no-go for anyone entering podiatry school today who goes into debt to do so. Do the math of taking out student loans to attend school, then spend 3 more years in residency, then take a job. Take the paycheck, then pay taxes on that paycheck, then pay the student loan payment, see what you have left over, and you will quickly realize it is a bad deal.
Yeah, podiatry will figure it out when they figure it out. I think there's too much money and "leadership" passive income on the table for a lot of ppl to actually consider the profession's greater good and average DPM's ROI.

it will be up to student demand to limit or shut down pod schools.

Pharmacy has figured it out too late...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, podiatry will figure it out when they figure it out. I think there's too much money and "leadership" passive income on the table for a lot of ppl to actually consider the profession's greater good and average DPM's ROI.

it will be up to student demand to limit or shut down pod schools.

Pharmacy has figured it out too late...

At least one of the pharm schools that is discontinuing it’s program made a statement and acknowledged the poor job market and it wouldn’t make sense to graduate more and continue to over saturate.

Gotta love SDN for continuously exposing this smoke screen of our profession.

Reactions: 2 users
At least one of the pharm schools that is discontinuing it’s program made a statement and acknowledged the poor job market and it wouldn’t make sense to graduate more and continue to over saturate.

Gotta love SDN for continuously exposing this smoke screen of our profession.
I still feel like there are more opportunities in pharmacy than podiatry but it’s good they are closing schools.

I still feel like there are more opportunities in pharmacy than podiatry but it’s good they are closing schools.
Pharmacy has more "organization jobs" (Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Kroger, etc etc) than podiatry, but the pay on those has been ground down (failed t pace inflation) and job quality also taken a major nose dive.

There are hundreds of PharmD threads on SDN about the troubles with impossible expectations, not enough pharm techs for support, not getting breaks, denied raises promised on hire, and similar issues. Many of them would disagree with you that those are retail gigs are quality "opportunities." Their ROI has crashed with tons of new pharmacy schools and increased tuitions.

And sure, PharmDs still have the chance to be entrepreneurs just like DPMs always did. The loans fresh out of school barely exist anymore, thoug. They have rare hospital jobs or VA/IHS jobs available (usually only with optional residency for them now due to so many apps to those position), and while those are at all time-highs, their graduate numbers and avg student loans are at all-time MEGA highs also.

...That is just what saturation does. It ruins good professions.
Podiatry's version of the pharmacy retail jobs will basically be the VC supergroups.