Costco vs Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KP93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new here.. just wanted to get some real world advice from people who are currently in the field.

I’m currently 4th year pharmacy student. Worked at a Costco pharmacy as an intern since P1 and on good term with the manager (I think she would be willing to hire me upon graduation or at least give a good reference to other store as I prefer to relocate).

On the other side, I have been told many times that job market is not looking good, which is why I have been considering to pursue amb care focus PGY1 program at a community health center and eventually work as a amb care pharmacist. With this route, I would have to spend 1-2 more years of training and will make less than what I can make right after graduation at Costco.

The main reason for me seeking PGY1 is job security. I honestly like working at Costco and I’m very comfortable with retail pharmacy (I started as a tech at wag for 2yrs before pharmacy school). However, I’m concerned about the job security for the next 2-3 decades. What CVS, Wag, Walmart has done to their senior pharmacists raises a concern that even Costco might eventually follow the market trend..which is why I thought getting a residency training might be helpful in the future.

I’m lost as to what path I should take. I’m planning to talk to my manager and get her advise in this matter as well, but wanted to get some other advice beforehand. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You're dreaming if you think PGY-1 or PGY-2 is any form of job security. It's temporary job security in that you'll have 30% of pharmacist pay for your extra year of rotations but then still no job when you get your fancy-shmancy certificate upon completion. Do you really think there aren't already a million PGY-1 or PGY-2 trained pharmacists that wouldn't kill their grandmother to get a unicorn ambulatory care job? You'd stand no chance whatsoever.

Reactions: 8 users
You're dreaming if you think PGY-1 or PGY-2 is any form of job security. It's temporary job security in that you'll have 30% of pharmacist pay for your extra year of rotations but then still no job when you get your fancy-shmancy certificate upon completion. Do you really think there aren't already a million PGY-1 or PGY-2 trained pharmacists that wouldn't kill their grandmother to get a unicorn ambulatory care job? You'd stand no chance whatsoever.
PGY-1 / PGY-2 were actually valuable 10+ years ago, but today they're worth as much as a PharmD. It should get you in the health system PRN float pool

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get a FT job in Costco, that would be your ideal scenario. But I wouldn't trust anything until you get your written offer.. wait until you test the job market a year from now and how bad it is going to be...

Reactions: 6 users
Given that Costco is one of the best retail pharmacist options out there, people rarely leave, so I wouldn't assume that you will be able to get a job with them, unless there is a new one being built that doesn't have new hires already lined up. Not that a residency would improve your odds all that much...

Reactions: 3 users
Given that Costco is one of the best retail pharmacist options out there, people rarely leave, so I wouldn't assume that you will be able to get a job with them, unless there is a new one being built that doesn't have new hires already lined up. Not that a residency would improve your odds all that much...
this says everything about costco. If I were you I would just work at costco and retire happily.

It sounds like you aren't really guaranteed to get either right now so I'd say make yourself as competitive as you can for both.

Try to get a job offer from Costco while applying for residencies. If you end up matching and getting a job offer from Costco then you have to make a decision but you may not get one or

Reactions: 1 users
PGY-1 / PGY-2 were actually valuable 10+ years ago, but today they're worth as much as a PharmD. It should get you in the health system PRN float pool
I might add there were no such things as residency before the 2000s. Just learn on the job until there was a huge influx of schools which changed all that.

It sounds like you aren't really guaranteed to get either right now so I'd say make yourself as competitive as you can for both.

Try to get a job offer from Costco while applying for residencies. If you end up matching and getting a job offer from Costco then you have to make a decision but you may not get one or
This.

residence means nothing. I have worked as a PIC and I currently work in a 100% clinical position. Last night I had a 1 hour phone conversation with an interested party to work as an ambulatory care pharmacist managing diabetes and blood pressure. (Not sure about this as it’s out of state and I really don’t want to move)

I never once considered a residency. I also never once considered joining any silly club or fraternity. There is only one thing that matters and that is your ability to relate and form relationships with others.

• Love
residence means nothing. I have worked as a PIC and I currently work in a 100% clinical position. Last night I had a 1 hour phone conversation with an interested party to work as an ambulatory care pharmacist managing diabetes and blood pressure. (Not sure about this as it’s out of state and I really don’t want to move)

I never once considered a residency. I also never once considered joining any silly club or fraternity. There is only one thing that matters and that is your ability to relate and form relationships with others.

All of this. It’s all about how you play your cards.

Reactions: 1 user
Joining a club/fraternity gave me a) opportunity to go on a foreign exchange to Germany during the World Cup, something I really wanted and b) helped me land one of only two fellowships in my desired field in the entire country that helped me get started on a career in a field that is very difficult to get into. So, clubs can be very useful if you are strategic about it.

If Costco gives a FT offer, take it. Pay off your loans and switch professions

LoL Costco is like the most desirable place to work as a pharmacist. OP sounds clueless about the job market. How about get an offer first.

Reactions: 3 users
LoL Costco is like the most desirable place to work as a pharmacist. OP sounds clueless about the job market. How about get an offer first.
Wait…. Does he not have a job offer? You don’t get into Costco unless you have connections

Reactions: 1 user
Wait…. Does he not have a job offer? You don’t get into Costco unless you have connections

The OP is still an intern who has been there since P1. They sound quite hopeful but never mentioned having a job offer in hand.

No. It sounds like OP hopes his pharmacy manager will hire him when he graduates, or give a good reference so he can relocate. That's not how it works.

Reactions: 4 users