Cornell c/o 2028 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May I ask how much these jobs pay per hour?
I'm also starting in the fall so don't know for sure, but found this on reddit when I had the same question:

They said $15/hr typically at Cornell.

I was also wondering if there is a groupme or anything for class of 28! I don't use Facebook, so unfortunately can't get into the group.
(Edit: found the groupme!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm also starting in the fall so don't know for sure, but found this on reddit when I had the same question:

They said $15/hr typically at Cornell.

I was also wondering if there is a groupme or anything for class of 28! I don't use Facebook, so unfortunately can't get into the group.
(Edit: found the groupme!)

At Cornell it depends on the department you work for, some go up to $16 (like ER)

I was wondering for any current DVM students at Cornell, how is the exam schedule, is it on paper or an iPad and what is the formatting of the questions.
It's mostly (90% of the time) in the on campus computer lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on my budget. Does anyone know how much is actually spent on books each year? I've heard no books are needed however I've also heard book costs can run $2000. per year.....???
I have not brought a single book and have been fine. If you really need it they have plenty of copies to borrow or free online texts.

Reactions: 1 user
Any current or past student at Cornell vet school have any suggestions on where a good apartment might be that is pet friendly.
I think the ones on the listserve are usually pretty open to pets. Northwood and Warrenwood complexes allow pets and some vet students live there and they are like 10 minutes from the vet school.

I've been scrolling through the Cornell class of 2028 facebook group and lots of students are posting they have openings in their houses. Going into it I was wanting to live in an apartment but is this uncommon does anyone know? Do most people live in houses? Or is it just houses that people need new roomates so thats what is being posted on the group.
I'd say first year its a lot of both, but then a lot of people move into houses with friends after 1st year bc it usually ends up being cheaper/better. And yeah a lot of upperclassmen will be looking for new rooomates as the 4th years graduate. Its pretty common to live with other class years and it can be nice to get their advice. I lived in an apartment with another first year and upperclassmen when I started and liked it but I moved to a house now and like the space better. I still know people living in complexes (like Warrenwood, Northwood, Maplewood and Lansing West etc.) and like it just fine though from the vet school.

Last edited:
I'd say first year its a lot of both, but then a lot of people move into houses with friends after 1st year bc it usually ends up being cheaper/better. And yeah a lot of upperclassmen will be looking for new rooomates as the 4th years graduate. Its pretty common to live with other class years and it can be nice to get their advice. I lived in an apartment with another first year and upperclassmen when I started and liked it but I moved to a house now and like the space better. I still know people living in complexes (like Warrenwood, Northwood, Maplewood and Lansing West etc.) and like it just fine though from the vet school.
May I ask, what does a typical first-year schedule look like for Block One? Do you start and end at the same time every day? Is a lunch break at the same time every day? How many different classes do you have? How late do Block one students generally study after classes? Are second-year students on the same basic schedule if I need to carpool in? My roommate is a second year.

May I ask, what does a typical first-year schedule look like for Block One? Do you start and end at the same time every day? Is a lunch break at the same time every day? How many different classes do you have? How late do Block one students generally study after classes? Are second-year students on the same basic schedule if I need to carpool in? My roommate is a second year.
I replied directly but just incase anyone is wondering its hard to explain but I'll try:
So your schedule is pretty busy for block one and is not super consistent. They will give you a calendar at the beginning for what's happening each week so it won't be too confusing unless you are trying to explain it to someone else. But I'll try to give you an idea of what it looks like.

First year, is two main giant classes block 7 and block 1 until like the end of October.
I won't lie block 1 is tough but you'll make it through. Block 1 has lectures/computer labs (modules mostly) broken into sections of the body, tutor group (working through a case aka PBL) and gross lab. Tutor group and gross lab are usually in the morning like 3-4 days a week but may occasionally be in the afternoon. Lectures usually end by like 1 (not always), then you get lunch and block 7 stuff is typically in the afternoon but is not every day depending on your group number. Block 7 is awesome bc you are learning how to do physical exams with the cats, dogs, horses and cows. Block 7 labs are like 1.5 hours each and like 2 times a week (you must wear ceil blue scrubs/coveralls). I would say you spend at least like 3 hours a day after studying or more during block 1 (I promise it gets better after block 1 lol). In honestly, sometimes I was up until 10pm or later doing work for tutor group. That being said you do have time to do things with friends on the weekends. I think second years have a similar schedule most of the time, but 1st years might start a little earlier. There are buses that go to the vet school and you get a free pass first year if needed also.

Sorry if that was confusing but it will make a lot more sense when they give you a schedule.

Reactions: 3 users