Cooperberg and his paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has been true for the good PP jobs too. A combination of timing when you graduate, connections and whether some negative news came out regarding hypofx, apm, rocr etc that might derail hiring plans for your cycle

Oh, yea, totally agree.

But in addition I meant if one decides to go the academic route, once you have the job, success in the career involves timing/opportunity and luck (along with the more often discussed hard work and being smart).

Members don't see this ad.

PREACH

I wish we could aim the collective intellectual energy spent arguing about niche prostate cancer items towards the cancers that are, you know, actually killing people with ease and speed.

Dunno, the eternal conundrum of prostate cancer is that it is still the second leading cause of cancer death in men. It moves slow until it doesn't.

Reactions: 2 users
Dunno, the eternal conundrum of prostate cancer is that it is still the second leading cause of cancer death in men. It moves slow until it doesn't.
*ominous music crescendos in the background*

Could a confounding factor in that statistic simply be the high incidence of the disease?

*lightning flash*

To find out, I created the world's largest compound populated exclusively by statisticians...

Members don't see this ad :)
*ominous music crescendos in the background*

Could a confounding factor in that statistic simply be the high incidence of the disease?

*lightning flash*

To find out, I created the world's largest compound populated exclusively by statisticians...

Haha. You clearly have more experience then I do in how death statistics are determined.

If anything, my thought was that there is likely to be an undercount, since a percentage of MIs and CVAs in patients on ADT will be due to ADT and this prostate cancer.

At the now deleted Workforce Panel discussion, a department Chair literally booed a panelist after the panelist disagreed with his statement about needing to expand to balance out maldistribution.

Man, what fun it would be to be that panelist at my current station in life and not at gun point by some random chair or boss. The amount of shame/embarrassment you can evoke in that person with a few sentences would be HILARIOUS.

So gross who many of these clown "big names" are the most insecure, small, loooosssssseeeerrr (Donald Trump voice) people in their personal and professional lives.

My heart is out there for those still in the rat race who cannot express their true feelings.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha. You clearly have more experience then I do in how death statistics are determined.

If anything, my thought was that there is likely to be an undercount, since a percentage of MIs and CVAs in patients on ADT will be due to ADT and this prostate cancer.
Men are 28-44x more likely to die in transit to definitive XRT as compared to RP.

Dude, if I could clone you 100x I would.

You're asking reasonable questions. I honestly don't know how to explain the specific point you're raising about mortality difference. Is it real? I absolutely think it's possible. Which is why I tend to ignore papers like this. I don't care that it's not prospective or randomized. I care that people are putting so much faith in an imperfect source (all databases) and then assuming they can math their way to the truth.

By building a spider web of complicated statistics and "finding" these potentially concerning conclusions, which may or may not be real - there is now a new, very high opportunity cost for biomedical science as we must all debate and/or study this until it's supported or refuted...which might never happen. This would then lead me down the path of too many things are being published because of misaligned incentives, but I'll save that tangent for later.

Surgery is absolutely a good choice in the correct patient. I know for a fact I am more pro-surgery than some Urologists in my area. It drives my patients nuts because, as we all know, some people just want to be told what to do. They hate when I say "there's no wrong choice". And then they say "yeah but what would YOU do if you were me?" and so on.

I'll stop dunking on Coops and stick with the paper. It's a good illustration of my concerns:

View attachment 378039

This database began when Bill Clinton was President. Not only that, it was "pre-Lewinsky" Clinton.

Time-based confounders are a fan favorite, so I'll stop there.

Next, we have self-reported variables and comorbidities were assessed using the "Charlson comorbidity index". As with time, patient self-reporting is a fan favorite and beat to death. But I don't even know what this Charlson thing is. I do know, with absolute certainty, it's not perfect, whatever it is. And I know it has its own confounders internally, and then introducing it in this database causes confounders and...blah blah.

Then we hit the stomping ground of treatment decisions were left up to individual practices across the country. I've trained/practiced medicine in 5 states over the years. Nothing is done the same anywhere, and all it takes is one doc leaving or one doc joining and it's not even consistent internally. This is also a dead horse.

But, at least I can be somewhat novel with this next item:

For many years I moonlighted with a hospice organization. I have signed dozens to hundreds of death certificates. I literally don't know, I never kept track.

For those that haven't done it, death certificates are annoying. They say in black and white "YOU CANNOT JUST WRITE HEART STOPPED, IDIOT".

View attachment 378040

So here's what I would usually do:

First, I was caring for them as a hospice patient. Which means I don't need to go down an insane "chart biopsy" rabbit hole to give them appropriate care. If they have chest pain, I'm not booting up a 10-item differential and calling Montana to get records because the patient lived there for a year in 2002.

So I would always write, as the final terminal event, "cardiopulmonary arrest" because...well that's literally how you die.

But obviously that's against the rules. I can't just write that and call it a day. I need to write out the "chain of events".

Sometimes these patients would be 92 and have a chart longer than Homer's Odyssey. So I would find the admitting H&P or the last comprehensive note before they entered hospice and find what the most likely/most recent terminal illness was, like "pancreas cancer". So that's what I would write, then I would sign it, then I would go on with my day.

Now, I'm a cancer doctor. I have a comprehensive understanding of the natural history of many malignancies. If I saw someone was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I know how aggressive that is, and I know it probably is the true reason.

But...prostate cancer? "Most men die with prostate cancer, not of prostate cancer". There's a lot of men on hospice, or just at the end of life in general, with prostate cancer.

Unless it was metastatic prostate cancer, I would almost never write "prostate cancer" in the chain of events. I know how indolent it is. Usually, the H&P note would be something like "past medical history notable for prostate cancer, 1 month ago experienced ground level fall with hip fracture, BIBA and was evaluated by Ortho in ED, determined not to be a surgical candidate, admitted for pain management where he developed aspiration pneumonia and AMS..."

Reading that, I would write "traumatic fracture, pneumonia, cardiopulmonary arrest". I wouldn't write prostate cancer because it has nothing to do with the death.

But...the people most commonly signing death certificates are not Radiation Oncologists. They're often not cancer doctors at all. They're usually in the realm of general internal medicine.

Give a hospitalist that same H&P, and their death certificate would probably read "prostate cancer, pneumonia, cardiopulmonary arrest".

So my closest guess as to what's happening with this CAPSURE study? It's that. It's how the database was designed to record PCSM, and who was filling out the death certificates.

Which is, of course, something we can't "prove".

My point being:

Surgery and radiation are both good options for prostate cancer.
I think you're spot on here.

Reactions: 1 user

I think about this a lot.

While I like to make jokes about certain areas of prostate research, the one area I personally burn a lot of brain energy on is ADT.

I am very quick to have someone go talk to a surgeon for balance.

I am very annoying about debating the pros and cons of ADT, and the theoretical risk of theoretical late side effects.

Actually, new request of the universe: please shift everyone away from retrospective database projects and just do ADT.

My general feeling is that, with the exception of certain cohorts of men, castration leads to longevity.

There are several interesting points of data regarding this issue (Korean eunuchs?) and even the OS survival outcomes in some of the combined ADT and XRT trials never really made sense to me from strictly pCa specific survival begetting OS benefit.

But, ADT is a bummer for many men, and it seems to me that there are at least three groups of men for whom ADT is particularly bad...men with active CAD or CHF, men with brittle DM and men with significant depression.

Reactions: 1 users
My general feeling is that, with the exception of certain cohorts of men, castration leads to longevity.

There are several interesting points of data regarding this issue (Korean eunuchs?) and even the OS survival outcomes in some of the combined ADT and XRT trials never really made sense to me from strictly pCa specific survival begetting OS benefit.

But, ADT is a bummer for many men, and it seems to me that there are at least three groups of men for whom ADT is particularly bad...men with active CAD or CHF, men with brittle DM and men with significant depression.
God I feel this in my soul.

I particular loathe the nebulous late side effects that can't be clearly attributable to any one thing, it's almost like a "choose your own adventure" depending on the preferences/biases of whoever sees the patient at the end.

"Oh you had ADT 15 years ago, Mr. Smith, my 85 year old patient with 7 other comorbidities? Well, while your prostate cancer is cured, and your blood glucose has never dipped below 150 since before Bitcoin was invented, your current heart disease is likely from the ADT."

And wow, there are few things more difficult than getting some guy with very high risk disease to continue on ADT long after the radiation is done.

If I see one of those guys on my schedule, I immediately know it's a 99215 kind of appointment...

Reactions: 1 users
could be a consequence of an active sex life...
If castration on average begets longevity, being sexually active later in life is definitely an indicator of good health and longevity..

The question is, can enough sex stave off pCa altogether?

What's the urologist @DoctwoB recommend regarding target ejaculation frequency?

Gotta take this thread to a more positive place than radonc leadership.

This does in fact connect to the Cooperberg paper...as @Ray D. Ayshun states with regard to writing papers like this.

Why not make a chair or a knife or something?
I would add...or wank?

If castration on average begets longevity, being sexually active later in life is definitely an indicator of good health and longevity..

The question is, can enough sex stave off pCa altogether?

What's the urologist @DoctwoB recommend regarding target ejaculation frequency?

Gotta take this thread to a more positive place than radonc leadership.

This does in fact connect to the Cooperberg paper...as @Ray D. Ayshun states with regard to writing papers like this.

I would add...or wank?
Wank? His career arc seems to be in the direction of 100% figurative/mental masturbation. I have no doubt there is direct correlation with that and literal masturbation.

200.gif