cool practicums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for PhD level practicums and I'd like to know what interesting practicum sites any of you guys have been in. So far I've had two external placements in a children's and adolescents Gender Identity clinic and Mood and Anxiety.... I'm looking for something more externalizing this time around...

Members don't see this ad.

lazure,

Can you share with us any of your experiences in these practicums? This forum has been relatively dead lately, so any intriguing stories about your experiences as a doctoral student in clinical psychology would be great.

I'm currently interviewing for PhD programs in clinical psychology, so don't have any interesting stories to share. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Thank you!

PH

Hi Public Health,
I'm happy to share my experiences. The GID clinic was a really neat experience - it quite widened my perception of gender issues and I must say that now see gender as a continuum rather than a category. We saw both young kids and adolescents with GID. For the younger kids, the intervention was more based on structuring their environment so that they would spend more time playing with same sex peers. For teens and up, we would start getting them ready for a sex change operation if that's what they desired. At the Mood and Anxiety clinic I did CBT for GAD with a nine year old and CBT with a 16 year old with social anxiety. I like the sciency approach of CBT. I also have some experience doing psychodynamic therapy with adults that I gained from my master's - I was at a different school for my MA.

What schools are you applying to?