Columbia vs. UCSF vs. UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfoksn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that there has been so many discussions about school versus threads lately, but I think just like everyone's situation, my situation is unique as well.

So I thought I would ask you guys for your input in helping me decide which school to go to.

I primarily chose my schools based on how much I liked the school and how much I can imagine myself being happy there. Specialization rate or what not is not important for me at all, because those factors are completely dependent on the students' individual ambitions and determination to stay focused on specialization track.

Well, here we go..

UCSF:

Pro:
1. I live 15 minutes away from UCSF. I could live at home closer to my family.
2. Tuition is cheaper compared to Columbia. Received scholarship here.
3. Tremendously high reputation in medical-related fields.
4. Research oriented, and may easily pursue MS in various fields.
5. SF is awesome, and I know it like the back of my hand.
6. All my high school friends (most of my closest friends didn't even go to college) are there, rooting for me to come back.

Con:
1. No medically-incorporated curriculum.
2. Relatively low reputation in the eyes of patients (perhaps this is not the case for CA residents, but I am looking at the US public in general)
3. Perhaps less externship opportunities since not many med/dental schools are around in close proximity like NYC.
4. Staying close with my family and limiting my educational experience to west coast.

UCLA:

Pro:
1. Supposedly it has good reputation in dental field.
2. Systemic based curriculum, I like this approach.
3. I know the dental school and many of the faculties, and perhaps could maintain connection.
4. OMS track program is appealing. Not sure how much it will help compared to other schools, but definitely something to keep in mind.
5. Cheaper tuition.
6. No hassle about moving.
7. Many research options.

Con:
1. Again, limiting my experience to west coast.
2. I don't want to stay in UCLA for next 4 years... The school sucks (not about dental school, but the undergrad is just horrible).
3. Extremely diluted reputation in layman's perspective because of its undergraduate university.
4. No medically incorporated curriculum.

Columbia:

Pro:
1. Medically incorporated curriculum. I love this, because I feel that I will learn the most here preparing to enter OMS residency (fingers-crossed)
2. Great reputation overall, in dental field, medical field, or in layman's perspective.
3. Many research options and ability to get MS in the field I desire to study.
4. Funded DDS/MPH program. I am interested in public health sector in OMS..
5. Extremely friendly faculty that care a lot about my questions. The dean as well as academic dean are just so nice and thorough in answering my questions. They make me feel very welcome.
6. NYC. Always wanted to live here.
7. Many Korean students (international as well). Gotta love my culture.
8. High concentration of hospitals/medical/dental schools. Easy access to various externships, relatively speaking.
9. Very small pro, but coming from Korean background, we care so much about the school's name.. I don't even understand why.. My parents would love to say that their son is going to an ivy league school

Con:
1. Higher tuition.
2. Further away from family.
3. Apparently, UCSF trumps Columbia in term of medical school, I don't know if that's relevant or not.
4. Scholarships are non-existent.
5. Please add more to con list to alert me about things I am considering.

I am sure you noticed, but I don't really care about clinical exposure. Whether I go to the most clinical school or most non-clinical school, in a year or two in residency or private practice, we'll all reach the same level (according to people I interviewed).

I also do not care about tuition very much, because my ultimate goal in life is not about money and I know I will be able to pay them off eventually no matter where I go. Whether or not I pay 3200/mo for 10 yrs or 2700/mo for 10 yrs as my loan repayment, I can live without that 500 dollars.

I do, however, value medical incorporation in curriculum, should it become one of the distinguishing factors in following OMS paths as boards go P/F. It's just more interesting to be exposed to medical side, in my opinion.

I also care about research opportunities that are available at each school, because I want to work in the field of public health in the future.

Location has tremendous impact in where I spend next 4 years for me. If I can't be happy in that place, I won't be able to focus and study, and will fail :(

LA, SF, and NYC are few of the only places that I felt that I would be happy (although I haven't visited much of the midstates :laugh:)

Anyways, please correct me if I have wrong information or would like to add more information or you would like to argue differently on some of the pros and cons I listed for each school.

I really appreciate all your input, and I wish you the best of luck in choosing your schools as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: