Clinical privileges question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bandwagon1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I left my job recently (private practice set up) and my clinical privileges at a hospital (no direct clinical role there-- just mainly for insurance purposes) was automatically suspended due to my malpractice insurance ending for that practice. I was left with the option to either resign my privileges (would have to reapply for privileges if I need it again in the future) or keep it suspended until a new COI for my malpractice insurance was submitted. I will be starting work again with another employer in a few months and was wondering if there were any negative impact if I was to keep it suspended until I give them a new one. I ask this because I know on some applications for insurance panels/ASCs, they ask if you ever had your privileges suspended.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question. Open to hearing what people think. I don't even know what the purpose of having privileges at a hospital is for if you're in private. Seems like a scam.

If a patient got an infection wouldn't the spine surgeon at the hospital help take care of it? You would obviously coordinate with them what you did etc. But they would just take it out..

If you're a solo doc. Why would the hospital based doc or another solo doc be OK with being your alternate? You are their competition..

The whole hospital privileges scam is bogus. Many insurers require them. Hospitals should not credential you per JCAHO if they cannot do quality studies of your performance. If you don't do procedures in hospitals you should not be credentialed. The hospitals want all of the money from ancillaries that you order so they ignore the rules and give you privileges. Sometimes it can be just one procedure as this allows you not to be on the call schedule for the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The whole hospital privileges scam is bogus. Many insurers require them. Hospitals should not credential you per JCAHO if they cannot do quality studies of your performance. If you don't do procedures in hospitals you should not be credentialed. The hospitals want all of the money from ancillaries that you order so they ignore the rules and give you privileges. Sometimes it can be just one procedure as this allows you not to be on the call schedule for the hospital.
But thats the problem

I used to be employed. But I didn't care about private guys. I gave them all privileges etc.

Once I left. The new person can be an A$$hole. They can mk you take call etc. But if you don't no privileges.

99% of what we do is output. Why should we have to tk call as independents.

Also. There are 3 hospital systems where I am at. Only 1 has an open staff policy (unless you grease the CEO). Soon that hospital will also have a closed policy where they only have their employed docs on staff. They don't "have room for more docs". You also need an alternate to get privileges. Is your competition going to be your alternate???

Thus independents won't be able to get privileges kicking them off of insurance panels. That's how they squeeze independents out. It's BS. They can't compete clinically with us. So it's all this backdoor stuff . How do we fight this? Most docs including myself in the past were employed so they don't even know about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Bump - if anyone has gone through this before.

One question that I've seen regarding clinical privileges is:
"Have your clinical privileges or medical staff membership at any hospital or healthcare institution, voluntarily or involuntarily, ever been denied, suspended, revoked, restricted, denied renewal or subject to probationary or to other disciplinary conditions (for reasons other than non-completion of medical record when quality of care was not adversely affected) or have proceedings toward any of those ends been instituted or recommended by any hospital or healthcare institution, medical staff or committee, or governing board?"

but I would assume they mean suspended due to disciplinary issues

Reactions: 1 user
i think i would just resign.

you kind of have to answer yes to that question - you did have privileges suspended, though not for clinical reasons. you are making the assumption that it is for disciplinary reasons but that question doesnt seem to specifically spell it out.

your new employer will get you privileges if necessary.

my final answer, though, would be to ask your attorney.

Reactions: 1 users