Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo mistakes are tough ways to learn, or remember what you’ve already learned. We all make them! I’m glad your team has been supportive and everyone is OK. Never any shame in a good cry!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
NAVLE over. :banana:

It took a lot longer than I expected lol. I’m a get in get out test writer so I assumed it would be 3-4 hours. Took me 5 even though I only took 1 5 minute breaking during it.

Now time to go get dressed up real fancy and go drop $100 on a fancy dinner with some classmates that also wrote today!

Reactions: 16 users
NAVLE over. :banana:

It took a lot longer than I expected lol. I’m a get in get out test writer so I assumed it would be 3-4 hours. Took me 5 even though I only took 1 5 minute breaking during it.

Now time to go get dressed up real fancy and go drop $100 on a fancy dinner with some classmates that also wrote today!
Update: as a fellow classmate who also wrote my NAVLE, I'd like to say that the fancy dinner was delicious (especially dessert :love: )

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NAVLE is tomorrow!! :help::barf:
Refusing to let myself study today because if I find a topic that I'm unsure of, I will panic and it will bring down my confidence so I'm going to force myself to relax

Me rn:
LightShowyBluefintuna-max-1mb.gif

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Refusing to let myself study today because if I find a topic that I'm unsure of, I will panic and it will bring down my confidence so I'm going to force myself to relax

Me rn:
You’re going to do great! It’s just another stupid test. Don’t forget to take your breaks, try to not panic, and you’ll do well!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Me rn:
Take your breaks. Eat lunch. Click C every once in a while. Get drunk when you're done (if that's your thing).

Good luck!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Take your breaks. Eat lunch. Click C every once in a while. Get drunk when you're done (if that's your thing).

Good luck!
Click C for sure.

ALSO. Don’t expect to know every question. It’s impossible to know every cause of pig diarrhea as well as random hatchery salmon parasites. Sometimes you have to just say **** it and move on.

Click C for sure.

ALSO. Don’t expect to know every question. It’s impossible to know every cause of pig diarrhea as well as random hatchery salmon parasites. Sometimes you have to just say **** it and move on.
It's impossible to answer all those ethics and business questions correctly -_-

It's impossible to answer all those ethics and business questions correctly -_-
Should you:

Kick the IRS agent in the shins?
Commit tax fraud?
Encourage them to finally make Air Bud: Internal Revenue Service Dog?
File all business and personal taxes in a transparent and timely fashion?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Should you:

Commit tax fraud?
I’m feeling confident in A for this question.

• Haha
Should you:

Commit tax fraud?
The answer is obviously C.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We had a sweet young dog come into the clinic yesterday. His diagnosis was terminal without surgery. Owners were adamant about not pursuing surgery and euthanizing. So we spoiled the absolute hell out of him and fed him a bunch of treats because he was such a good boy and deserved the best. Owners decided last minute that they wanted to pursue surgery, much to everyone's surprise. The look on the anesthesia team's faces when we told them how much we fed him was priceless.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
We had a sweet young dog come into the clinic yesterday. His diagnosis was terminal without surgery. Owners were adamant about not pursuing surgery and euthanizing. So we spoiled the absolute hell out of him and fed him a bunch of treats because he was such a good boy and deserved the best. Owners decided last minute that they wanted to pursue surgery, much to everyone's surprise. The look on the anesthesia team's faces when we told them how much we fed him was priceless.
I think you forgot the part where his IVC had also already been removed lol

Reactions: 2 users
Wait but if they were going to euthanize why did they remove the IVC?
From my understanding (DRider will have to jump in since this was not my case and I’m not even on ER right now), the owners wanted to euthanize somewhere else and we weren’t comfortable sending out the door with a catheter in.

From my understanding (DRider will have to jump in since this was not my case and I’m not even on ER right now), the owners wanted to euthanize somewhere else and we weren’t comfortable sending out the door with a catheter in.

As someone that does IHE, I kinda hate when clinics are like this when the appt is within 48h. Show them how to use some flush and if they don't do it, that's my job to realize the catheter isn't patent anymore.

As someone that does IHE, I kinda hate when clinics are like this when the appt is within 48h. Show them how to use some flush and if they don't do it, that's my job to realize the catheter isn't patent anymore.
Hmm. I guess when I'm hesitant to send a pet home with a catheter in it's more because they might rip it out than because I'm worried about patency. Of course there are ways to try to avoid that but I can see why people would be uncomfortable if the appointment wasn't going to happen until the next day or something.

Owners wanted to bring the dog to their rDVM at a later time to euthanize.

My externship has been awesome. I'm so exhausted from working so much (by choice though). It feels like I can actually do this and dare I say enjoy it? By far one of my best rotations and I think realistic looks at my future. It's going to be so hard to go back to the teaching hospital...

My externship has been awesome. I'm so exhausted from working so much (by choice though). It feels like I can actually do this and dare I say enjoy it? By far one of my best rotations and I think realistic looks at my future. It's going to be so hard to go back to the teaching hospital...
Hands down the best externships are the ones that you don’t want to go back to school!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I take my NAVLE in 2 weeks. I took one of the self-assessments a week ago and got a passing projected score with pretty good margins (559 - 651). Should I take another self assessment to check to see if this is accurate? I guess I don’t know how much to trust the projected score….

I take my NAVLE in 2 weeks. I took one of the self-assessments a week ago and got a passing projected score with pretty good margins (559 - 651). Should I take another self assessment to check to see if this is accurate? I guess I don’t know how much to trust the projected score….
I read somewhere their research shows no matter which version of navle you take assuming you dont learn or forget anything a person should score the realitive same across the board +/-1 std deviation. So personally I wouldnt spend the money especially this close, but if it makes you feel more secure maybe it's worth it.
I get your dilemma. I took one practice test and felt if I had a different version that I could have easily failed it instead of scoring well but ultimately decided it wasnt worth my time&money to take a second one.
For me it's now time to wait and see if I did actually pass or not and how close I was to my practice score🤷‍♀️

Things are starting to come together for after graduation. It is both exciting and terrifying. I was just offered an equine internship position. It so exciting that my overnights, sleep deprived brain cannot go to sleep.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Why do I keep having possible employers set up calls to discuss compensation following an interview, and then when I ask about salary, they haven't thought about it yet and just have benefit info ready lol :smack:

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Practice a: overall decreased package of at least 45k compared to practice b, but smaller town, slightly lower COL, really enjoyed my time there, "unlimited" days off-unpaid, dec time on call (only til 10pm and every 3rd weekend) with 4day work weeks
Practice b: very nice package all around, I didn't love the practice but didn't hate it either-very meh feeling when I interviewed, 9 days off unpaid, slightly higher COL, better mentorship, 45-50hr/week oncall 1-2 nights/week and 1-2weekends/mo

Do I work a little more and making more vs working less and making less, but am I crazy to walk away from better mentorship and compensation package? I can make ends meet with either place so that's not super helpful. Just very torn-my brain says practice b but my heart says practice a🙃

Last edited:
  • Care
Practice a: overall decreased package of at least 45k compared to practice b, but smaller town, slightly lower COL, really enjoyed my time there, "unlimited" days off-unpaid, dec time on call (only til 10pm and every 3rd weekend) with 4day work weeks
Practice b: very nice package all around, I didn't love the practice but didn't hate it either-very meh feeling when I interviewed, 9 days off unpaid, slightly higher COL, better mentorship, 45-50hr/week oncall 1-2 nights/week and 1-2weekends/mo

Do I work a little more and making more vs working less and making less, but am I crazy to walk away from better mentorship and compensation package? I can make ends meet with either place so that's not super helpful. Just very torn-my brain says practice b but my heart says practice a🙃
Practice B sounds like a recipe for quick burnout. Will practice A come up in salary at all?

What about B makes you say better mentorship? (if it's not a previous new grad telling you they were well supported, be suspect - places can SAY a lot of things, but especially if it's super busy it often falls through the cracks).

And are you saying you're working 45-50 hours a week PLUS on call?

I took a lower paying (significantly - base pay lower and no true production!), less busy job with an hour commute when I graduated because that's where my good vibes were. No regrets - I stayed there for four years and still work part time. Especially if you're moving to work in a certain place, you absolutely need to feel good about it.

I would pick practice A personally. I would miserable working 50hrs a week cause there are plenty of weeks where it would be more than 50hrs.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in the same boat as just about everyone here. I’d be naïve to say money isn’t everything but the vibes you get from the second place aren’t worth it. You’d be surprised what some job’s view of “mentorship” is too.

Reactions: 3 users
Uhhhhh
Is that the only time off you get?

Any room for negotiation at either place?
That's not including CE time off. They also do unpaid 6wks maternity. I havent asked but probably no room for negotiating that up since it's in their employee handbook-fairly large practice 6 vets already looking to add 2 more. You get more days the longer you stay.

Definitely been working on the negotiation aspect on both ends 🙃
Practice B sounds like a recipe for quick burnout. Will practice A come up in salary at all?
That was after practice A came up in base salary. Practice B can offer more benefits than A since they're larger and despite both being rural the socioeconomic situation at practice B is better than practice A so hence a larger production difference ~80k vs 120k
What about B makes you say better mentorship? (if it's not a previous new grad telling you they were well supported, be suspect - places can SAY a lot of things, but especially if it's super busy it often falls through the cracks).

And are you saying you're working 45-50 hours a week PLUS on call?

I took a lower paying (significantly - base pay lower and no true production!), less busy job with an hour commute when I graduated because that's where my good vibes were. No regrets - I stayed there for four years and still work part time. Especially if you're moving to work in a certain place, you absolutely need to feel good about it.
Practice a is smaller 1.5 dr so mentorship can be hit or miss especially since owner is essentially unavailable 3 months out of the year because farming, but he is willing to do his best and the other associate will be available as well. Practice b is larger and has a much more structured mentorship. Both places have grads from within the last 3 years and I've talked to both and they both seem reasonably happy in their own regard.
They're saying 41-43/week+on call. So probably ends up resulting in about the same amount of hours between the 2 just structured differently. Practice A being 4 days/wk plus on call at least 2 nights til 10pm and every 3rd weekend practice B being 5days/wk and being on call 1night/wk plus ~1 weekend/mo. I know that extra day off though can make a huge difference as well as not having to worry about the phone from 10pm on.

Thanks for being a sounding board/ideas guys it really does help!

That's not including CE time off. They also do unpaid 6wks maternity. I havent asked but probably no room for negotiating that up since it's in their employee handbook-fairly large practice 6 vets already looking to add 2 more. You get more days the longer you stay.

Definitely been working on the negotiation aspect on both ends 🙃

That was after practice A came up in base salary. Practice B can offer more benefits than A since they're larger and despite both being rural the socioeconomic situation at practice B is better than practice A so hence a larger production difference ~80k vs 120k

Practice a is smaller 1.5 dr so mentorship can be hit or miss especially since owner is essentially unavailable 3 months out of the year because farming, but he is willing to do his best and the other associate will be available as well. Practice b is larger and has a much more structured mentorship. Both places have grads from within the last 3 years and I've talked to both and they both seem reasonably happy in their own regard.
They're saying 41-43/week+on call. So probably ends up resulting in about the same amount of hours between the 2 just structured differently. Practice A being 4 days/wk plus on call at least 2 nights til 10pm and every 3rd weekend practice B being 5days/wk and being on call 1night/wk plus ~1 weekend/mo. I know that extra day off though can make a huge difference as well as not having to worry about the phone from 10pm on.

Thanks for being a sounding board/ideas guys it really does help!
You'd be surprised what you can negotiate for in the current market. Lots of practices hurting for vets. I don't understand all of your time off being unpaid though, I don't think I've ever seen that before?

Generally agree that I'd go with the place where you felt the good vibes though. This job is hard enough, you want to at least feel good about the place you're working and the people you're working with.

On call sucks, especially if you plan to have a family. My friend does rural mixed and she absolutely hated being on call and the added anxiety it brought her just waiting for the phone to ring. Now she doesn’t take call except half the holidays…her boss needed her too much to let her go and covers all the call for the practice but it was a risk she was willing to take to stop being on call half the time. I’d choose practice A out of the two you listed, though neither sounds ideal. If your pay would be 80k for 4 days a week plus on call that’s still significantly better than what my friend makes in rural Oklahoma. I realize COL is significantly lower in rural OK than many states though.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there somewhere else that’s better than both? With the market right now you should be able to set your terms pretty easily.
I recently learned that there are 18 openings for every veterinarian looking for a job right now. I’m not entirely sure how true that fact is, but the market is definitely open

Is there somewhere else that’s better than both? With the market right now you should be able to set your terms pretty easily.
If I wanted to do only small animals sure. There are alot of mixed openings but man that was a mixed bag of ancient medicine and no compensation. I went on 9 interviews total. Really only 1 place was better and it is significantly better all around but has 0 mentorship (I'd at least like some surgical mentorship) and hubby really doesnt want to move/work there

• Care
  • Sad