Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Supposed to start a special in-house elective today with two other students...have heard nothing from the faculty clinician...no response to my email about where/when to show up...other student called the hospital this morning to ask if that doctor was on the schedule, and they said "nope, no sign of Dr. X"...

😬
Sounds suboptimal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Only a few days left of this externship and it has been a top notch experience. 10/10 would recommend to future classes and I feel like this was a great way to end my clinical year.

I guess credit to @Trilt for putting it on my radar in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Only a few days left of this externship and it has been a top notch experience. 10/10 would recommend to future classes and I feel like this was a great way to end my clinical year.

I guess credit to @Trilt for putting it on my radar in the first place.
I’m still so sad they had to cancel on me and all of my classmates. 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m still so sad they had to cancel on me and all of my classmates. 😭

I hope your other externships were at least awesome enough to sort of make up for missing this one.

I'm still a little bummed that I only got to do two externships when I was originally planning on at least 4. I technically could have tried to do more but people were getting stuff cut last minute and it just felt too risky.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope your other externships were at least awesome enough to sort of make up for missing this one.

I'm still a little bummed that I only got to do two externships when I was originally planning on at least 4. I technically could have tried to do more but people were getting stuff cut last minute and it just felt too risky.
They were! I really enjoyed 5/6 of them! I also took a gamble and had to reschedule a bunch of them that were getting cancelled, but it worked out for me!

Just looked at my loans for the first time in forever. I feel like I should spend my day off tomorrow with Disney Plus up on the TV and figure out what to do with this shenanigans.

Just looked at my loans for the first time in forever. I feel like I should spend my day off tomorrow with Disney Plus up on the TV and figure out what to do with this shenanigans.
VIN did a webinar last year (I think I posted my notes here somewhere) and I bet they'll do another one this year. Or the previous one might even be available for viewing somewhere. I found it really helpful. They'll also do personal consultations.

VIN did a webinar last year (I think I posted my notes here somewhere) and I bet they'll do another one this year. Or the previous one might even be available for viewing somewhere. I found it really helpful. They'll also do personal consultations.
I don't think I need to get crazy with it tbh. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I was the beneficiary of my sister's life insurance policies, which she had 2. So Katie has contributed pretty significantly to keeping the debt down inadvertently. I just need to talk to Mr. Bats of how quickly we want to knock out the remainder vs GTFO of his best friends house into our own home. Current plan was to buy in August while not knowing what I owed exactly.

On that same topic, just filled out the AVMA new grad survey. There's a question where they ask if a major life even occurred where your financial situation changed. But the question doesn't allow for you to answer with a *positive* change. So I emailed about that. And their poor wellness survey -_-

• Care
Taking grad pics!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Starting my last rotation tomorrow (LA Surgery)!!!! I CANNOT WAIT TO BE DONE. Bought myself a gecko enclosure today as an early graduation gift :) :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing this Saturday, although I don't think my regalia will be in yet by then lol. Friggin Jostens
We had to order the regalia forever ago for our composit photos. The photographer of choice is a current baby 4th year and people keep asking her to do photos on graduation weekend. She'll unfortunately be on soft tissue surgery and is all booked up otherwise.

She did a great job. I'm so excited!!!

Reactions: 3 users
We had to order the regalia forever ago for our composit photos. The photographer of choice is a current baby 4th year and people keep asking her to do photos on graduation weekend. She'll unfortunately be on soft tissue surgery and is all booked up otherwise.

We don’t get to keep ours. So we get our regalia the day before graduation (next Thursday) and have to turn it back in like 4 hours after graduation.

So very little time for professional photos!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
We don’t get to keep ours. So we get our regalia the day before graduation (next Thursday) and have to turn it back in like 4 hours after graduation.

We're also renting ours. The school picks the company and we were responsible for ordering and returning

Dang, that's a quick turnaround! We had a few weeks.

They made us order ours online (also not a rental, it's legit like we just own the whole thing) but with a six week shipping time, which is the weekend before graduation. It sounds like they're mailing it directly to us though so I hope there is absolutely no ****ery with delivery because I will lose my mind on these people for decades if I can't walk because of their mistake

• Wow
  • Care
They made us order ours online (also not a rental, it's legit like we just own the whole thing) but with a six week shipping time, which is the weekend before graduation. It sounds like they're mailing it directly to us though so I hope there is absolutely no ****ery with delivery because I will lose my mind on these people for decades if I can't walk because of their mistake
(How much does that cost omg)

Dude, thank god vet schools have the sense to use cheapo regalia in general. Like a lot of doctorate programs require heavy duty $500 regalia... which is only worth it for those who stay in academia and need to wear it each year for the rest of their career for commencements.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Dude, thank god vet schools have the sense to use cheapo regalia in general. Like a lot of doctorate programs require heavy duty $500 regalia... which is only worth it for those who stay in academia and need to wear it each year for the rest of their career for commencements.
At illinois if you want to buy it to keep, it’s like $600 😩😩😩

At illinois if you want to buy it to keep, it’s like $600 😩😩😩
Actually that makes sense, it was like $500 like 15-20 years ago.... At least they give you the option to rent it. My BIL wasn’t given the option for his PhD. You were supposed to buy it. If you didn’t want to, you had to go through a third party that rented out very close knock-offs...

and honestly now that I’m thinking about it, I can’t tell which is better. I wonder if it’s a nicer deal to be able to rent a very nice regalia for like $100. Cause for most people... what are they going to do with a cheapo one to keep for $100? It only matters for the few who know they want to go the professor route, but I feel like maybe at that point they can buy one then?

Literally counting down the days (last day May 10 @ 5 pm). This block has been the most brutal. We are at max capacity as far as cases. Everyone is just burnt out. Not a life to live. I feel sorry for the new class as they get thrown into this.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
I'M DONE I DID THE THING I FINISHED VET SCHOOL!!!

After 5 years, I can't believe this is it!!! Just one week left till graduation!!!

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
didn’t even make it 9 hours before making the switch. :laugh:

FED6330C-AA51-4512-9084-38D54336A414.jpeg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
WHY DO THEY MAKE US GO UNTIL MONDAY AT 5 pm :dead: Congrats everyone! Can't wait to join you in a few days.

• Care
woo! congrats everyone! Ya made it! now a very different life will begin, but more freedom to find yourself. Don't let the current state of vet med get to you if you can help it though. I'm being serious. It's absolutely exhausting out here right now for pretty much all. Take good care of yourselves now and get into good self care habits. <3

• Love
  • Care
Congratulations to the class of 2021!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow I can't believe it's over. It took forever but at the same time in the blink of an eye it's over. Officialy ceremony is the 15th. I am so incredibly excited to start a lab animal residency July 1.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Hi there, I know there's a lot of people graduating this year. If you purchased your graduation regalia from Herff Jones, check your credit card statements. They apparently had a data breach and a lot of people in my school's 2021 class are finding fraudulent charges.

Cross posting this

• Sad
A ton of people got hit in my class. Thankfully I got out with no hit to my stuff

I know I'm not on here much anymore, but I wanted to share this pic with my 2017 sdn vet secret santa shirt. Congratulations to all my fellow members of the class of 2021!

will probably disappear it later

Last edited:
  • Love
I'm done! Just gotta graduate tonight!

My next project is joining the big kid NOMV group on Facebook and also some of the secret vet to vet pages lol.

But also the first thing I did after I finished last night was update my email signature

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I'm done! Just gotta graduate tonight!

My next project is joining the big kid NOMV group on Facebook and also some of the secret vet to vet pages lol.

But also the first thing I did after I finished last night was update my email signature
Let me know if you need invites!