Other Changing Residency Specialty- Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residencyswitch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently matched for a competitive residency program. I am currently doing my intern year and will be starting my advanced year after this year. Ever since I applied for my chosen specialty I always had a deep feeling as if I made the wrong decision. As the application cycle was ongoing, I just decided to power through it and hope that my feelings were temporary. After arriving at my current residency where I will be doing my intern and advanced residency years, I finally realized that I not only extremely dislike the location but also the specialty. A big factor is the location of my residency, as well as the fact that I don't think that I will enjoy my chosen specialty.

At this point I don't know what to do or who to talk to. Should I complete my intern year? Should I start my advanced year and see if maybe my thoughts will change? I just can't imagine spending another 4 years of my life in a location that I dislike, for a specialty that I am not enthusiastic about.

I did well in med school, with good test scores etc. I feel like I could be competitive if I reapply but I just don't know what to do.

I greatly appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I recently matched for a competitive residency program. I am currently doing my intern year and will be starting my advanced year after this year. Ever since I applied for my chosen specialty I always had a deep feeling as if I made the wrong decision. As the application cycle was ongoing, I just decided to power through it and hope that my feelings were temporary. After arriving at my current residency where I will be doing my intern and advanced residency years, I finally realized that I not only extremely dislike the location but also the specialty. A big factor is the location of my residency, as well as the fact that I don't think that I will enjoy my chosen specialty.

At this point I don't know what to do or who to talk to. Should I complete my intern year? Should I start my advanced year and see if maybe my thoughts will change? I just can't imagine spending another 4 years of my life in a location that I dislike, for a specialty that I am not enthusiastic about.

I did well in med school, with good test scores etc. I feel like I could be competitive if I reapply but I just don't know what to do.

I would recommend NOT to quite your internship, finish it. Depending on the specialty you did your internship there are many PGY-2 that are available off the match. What every you do, finish your internship and perhaps you many be able to switch to an other place. Perhaps you many need to do at least one year of the advanced placement to put your act together to change specialties. Regards

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend NOT to quite your internship, finish it. Depending on the specialty you did your internship there are many PGY-2 that are available off the match. What every you do, finish your internship and perhaps you many be able to switch to an other place. Perhaps you many need to do at least one year of the advanced placement to put your act together to change specialties. Regards
email me at [email protected] I have some experience

Hey residency switch what specialty you are and where your interest is in future.

2014legacy, why would you like to know?

Because there are vultures on this website trying to get you to contact them so they can find out where you are, encourage you to leave, and swoop in and take it. These forums are full of desperate people willing to take any residency no matter where or what it is. Be wary. Unless you want to leave medicine completely, you don't have a choice but to complete your intern year. Hopefully by the end of it, you will know if you want to continue in your advanced specialty. I believe you will have to complete at least 45 days of your advanced specialty to not be flagged as a match violator. But obviously this would be screwing the program over big time. Maybe there is a way you could mutually agree to get out of the spot without being a match violator. I don't know. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
residency switch good luck in your ventures and be aware of vultures like atom says.

hahaha. Thanks! :) So far I am sticking to my program, but I will have my ears and eyes open. I think they key to switching successfully is to just give the programs advanced notice. They will have no problem finding others to fill my spot, especially in a competitive specialty.

Hi All,

I would suggest that you finish intern year, and switch if you still truly don't want to be in your current specialty. Getting out of your intern year now doesn't make a ton of sense.