Other Changing Specialty as an attending as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonnichowdhury

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
How can I get clincial experience for other Specialty after my completion of IM residency in the US as I don't want to practice IM anymore (Attending now) and I was an IMG in the US so I don't have clincial experience of the Specialty I seek now?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried a fellowship?
No I mean not Specialty in IM I want a surgical Specialty now so can I get clinical clerkship in that as I am a graduate now so I cannot get electives now? What to do now

No I mean not Specialty in IM I want a surgical Specialty now so can I get clinical clerkship in that as I am a graduate now so I cannot get electives now? What to do now
Unlikely to happen...GS is competitive for FMGs and unless You made connections and did rotations while a resident, you won’t be able to do clerkships.
There are open prelim spots in GS now and you could possibly get one of those and try to prove yourself, but make sure it’s a program that will take FMGs into a cat GS spot