Changing from full time to part time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealingTouch23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to leave my current full time job (Job 1) in order to take more shifts and a per diem job (Job 2) that is more fulfilling and less stressful. I've asked to reduce my hours at my first job without telling them about the second job, but that doesn't seem to work since I haven't gotten a response yet.

Assuming that I will be okay financially, would it be a good idea to tell Job 1 that I want to work per diem for them because I am now receiving more hours at Job 2? I feel that I would have more leverage that way if they know I'm working elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

But you'll lose benefits , you okay with that ? Insurance is expensive on the state marketplace. Plus no more paid vacation.

Fulfillment and stress levels are perfectly valid reasons, of course. My only advice is to make peace with the possibility that Job 1 may very well show you the door. I won't pretend to know all the details of the situation, but with the current job market I wouldn't count on any employer doing any favors because of a perceived leverage on your part.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your full time job is your priority even if it sucks. They offer health/dental/vision insurance, 401k, sick time, vacation time, HSA/FSA/DCFSA, a little bit of life/disability insurance, bereavement time, jury duty time, maybe maternity or paternity leave. I'm sure I've missed some. You'll essentially take a 30k+ paycut by doing this, plus the ability to contribute 19k for 401k. What will you do for retirement savings? Roth IRA only allows 6k/year.

Would it be better to ask to reduce hours without giving a specific reason? (and also remain full time)