full time floater, not getting enough hours... Can I accept covid pharmacist job from agency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeawish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am newly joined working in one of the major retail pharmacies as a full time floater, and they are not giving me enough hours.
Like, I will work 7 hours to max 16 hours per week for the next 3 weeks....comparing to other full time RPhs are getting over 40 hours per week.
They said it is due to the cancellation of Covid clinics??
And I am not sure how I can afford my bills.
I am desperate to get another source of income.
I am still getting quite a few emails from agencies about the Covid pharmacist position, and am I allowed to accept that???

Members don't see this ad.

I am newly joined working in one of the major retail pharmacies as a full time floater, and they are not giving me enough hours.
Like, I will work 7 hours to max 16 hours per week for the next 3 weeks....comparing to other full time RPhs are getting over 40 hours per week.
I am still getting quite a few emails from agencies about the Covid pharmacist position, and am I allowed to accept that???

ummmm what do you have to lose by accepting other jobs? lol your 7 hours a week pay?

Reactions: 4 users
They are giving you left over food. Is that all you want?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you happen to work for Walgreens, depending on where you live , you can always pick up shifts in workforce scheduler . At least in my district , it is easy to find work/pick up shifts at your convenience because with workforce scheduler pharmacists are always advertising shifts for days they need off, vacations , etc . So, if you have few hours, you can easily pick up shifts and get hours . But then again I live in a part of the country with more Walgreens pharmacies than anywhere else in the nation .

Your pharmacy chain obviously doesn’t give a damn about you. Return the sentiment. Take the other job.

Reactions: 3 users
It is salaried and full time position. And only giving me 7hrs in a week is really upsetting. Since I am new, I don't have full access to look up any open shift... I heard that this chain is blocking me working from their competitors, but I guess I may work for agency?

Take it. Only thing you have to worry about is it conflicting on a day you work with your other employer. Also depending on your area...go out of it at least 45 min to an 1hr so you are far enough from the area you work in.

It's sad to see that someone has to ask this question and get help. You got a job, you're getting screwed on your hours and you have a better job offer but you are worried about the employer is screwing you. Who cares? If you don't look out for yourself, who is? No one.

Reactions: 2 users
It is salaried and full time position. And only giving me 7hrs in a week is really upsetting. Since I am new, I don't have full access to look up any open shift... I heard that this chain is blocking me working from their competitors, but I guess I may work for agency?
im confused... its salaried? so you get full time pay by only working 7 hours? why are you mad?

Did OP consider jumping to Walmart? I'm sure they are hurting for pharmacist positions, even temp

im confused... its salaried? so you get full time pay by only working 7 hours? why are you mad?

Pharmacists here said “we are salaried”, but I think this means we are exempted, so that they don’t have to pay us even though we come early or stay late. But we get paid based on what they scheduled...

Pharmacists here said “we are salaried”, but I think this means we are exempted, so that they don’t have to pay us even though we come early or stay late. But we get paid based on what they scheduled...
Generally it means that you have a base salary that they have to pay regardless of how much you work. I know I've had a few weeks where there were no hours so I got paid my full 30 but only worked 13-26.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
What others said. One time this fresh DM tried to deduct pay after I got paid out HUB... After I emailed HR, the money was back in my account.

Whatever your base is, should be the minimum pay for that time period.

• Wow
Generally it means that you have a base salary that they have to pay regardless of how much you work. I know I've had a few weeks where there were no hours so I got paid my full 30 but only worked 13-26.
My scheduler asked me to pick up some hours from another district where is 80 miles away from me. I was confused by that. If they pay my base even I work just 7 hours, then I am totally okay with that. Thanks for the info!

My scheduler asked me to pick up some hours from another district where is 80 miles away from me. I was confused by that. If they pay my base even I work just 7 hours, then I am totally okay with that. Thanks for the info!

You didn't mention that part and it is kind of important, especially if you said no. Different rules apply.

You might want to read up on when you can and can't say no to a scheduler in your company. Sounds like you will be in that position again and often.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You didn't mention that part and it is kind of important, especially if you said no. Different rules apply.

You might want to read up on when you can and can't say no to a scheduler in your company. Sounds like you will be in that position again and often.
On my offer letter,
"Pharmacists are salaried professionals at ****** Pharmacy. Your initial annualized salary will be $********* based on an anticipated schedule of 30.0 hours per week."

Actually my scheduler offered some open shift in my district (with very short notice), and I am trying to pick them up. Still.... I am very confused what the "salaried" means at here... Then, if I work more than 30 hours, and I will be only paid for 30 hours? So confused....

I can only comment on CVS floating and bases. If you are salaried with 30 hour base, they will pay you for a minimum 60 hours every 2 weeks. If you work more, they will pay for those too at your hourly rate.

If you don't work enough hours because they didn't have shifts for you, they should pay your base. This doesn't happen often.

If you don't work enough hours because you didn't want to drive 2 hours somewhere, then they probably won't pay you.

Basically your base guarantees that you should be scheduled those hours. You can always say no if all you want is 30 hours.

If you saw someone post about stores closed in TX. Their DM said go work hours you missed or you won't get your base pay. So they were offered a chance to get their hours or not get paid (or use vacation/pto)

I can only comment on CVS floating and bases. If you are salaried with 30 hour base, they will pay you for a minimum 60 hours every 2 weeks. If you work more, they will pay for those too at your hourly rate.

If you don't work enough hours because they didn't have shifts for you, they should pay your base. This doesn't happen often.

If you don't work enough hours because you didn't want to drive 2 hours somewhere, then they probably won't pay you.

Basically your base guarantees that you should be scheduled those hours. You can always say no if all you want is 30 hours.

If you saw someone post about stores closed in TX. Their DM said go work hours you missed or you won't get your base pay. So they were offered a chance to get their hours or not get paid (or use vacation/pto)

Wow, it was so clear and great help! Really appreciate!

as a manager myself i would say you should wonder WHY they are only giving you 7 hours or so a week. It sounds like what we do when we "starve someone out" it sucks i agree, but someone has you targeted.....get out now while you can......

On my offer letter,
"Pharmacists are salaried professionals at ****** Pharmacy. Your initial annualized salary will be $********* based on an anticipated schedule of 30.0 hours per week."

Actually my scheduler offered some open shift in my district (with very short notice), and I am trying to pick them up. Still.... I am very confused what the "salaried" means at here... Then, if I work more than 30 hours, and I will be only paid for 30 hours? So confused....

you really should message your HR or DM and figure this out

This has to be CVS were talking about here.... they are just using you up, gonna work you till your back breaks, then knock you in the head and toss you down the "old pharmasist hole".

Reactions: 1 users
What if required to work more hours than the base hours, will pay the extra hours? Not talking about staying late

What if required to work more hours than the base hours, will pay the extra hours? Not talking about staying late
If you're scheduled over your base you should be paid hourly for the extra time. Same if you agree to pick up shifts on your day off

Cover me for tomorrow and Friday

You'll get your hours that way

LOL

On my offer letter,

I‘ve always called it “fake salaried”.