Chances w/ mediocore Step 1...help appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted97016

I've been interested in neurosurgery for a long time, but my recent Step 1 score is less than perfect: 231. I realize this is only 5 points below the neurosurgery average, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to improve my chances during 3rd and 4rd year.

I honorored a few blocks during 1st/2nd year. I'm working on one project that will likely be published in the coming months. I'll start rotations next month, and am willing to work hard to acheive good evaluations. I'm planning on taking Step 2 early so the score will be available in time for applications. I also attend a top 15 school with a well-known neurosugery department.

Any advice would be appreciated!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I've been interested in neurosurgery for a long time, but my recent Step 1 score is less than perfect: 231. I realize this is only 5 points below the neurosurgery average, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to improve my chances during 3rd and 4rd year.

I honorored a few blocks during 1st/2nd year. I'm working on one project that will likely be published in the coming months. I'll start rotations next month, and am willing to work hard to acheive good evaluations. I'm planning on taking Step 2 early so the score will be available in time for applications. I also attend a top 15 school with a well-known neurosugery department.

Any advice would be appreciated!! :D

Yeah as stated above, it sounds like you already know where you stand and what you should do. I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really much to add except for a lot of the generic suggestions for attempting to match. Try to get involved in research to get some solid LoRs or a publication out, absolutely nail all of your rotations (don't put too much pressure on yourself, however, because you don't want to "overdo" it), do some audition rotations while aiming to please and demonstrating that you're a hard worker who's receptive to learning, take Step 2 as early as you're comfortable and nail it, and apply broadly, both in terms of competitiveness as well as geography.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I was more concerned with the more limited number of programs I would be competitive for. I am very much interested in research and was aiming for more academic programs in the northeast where I'm from. I may just have to broaden my applications in terms of competiveness and geography as the previous poster said.

That USMLE score will not bar you from most programs. The highest rumored Step 1 cutoff I've heard was the Barrow at ~220. A 231 will get your application read at every program in the country, and then it will be up to your other strengths to make the case for granting you an interview. Bust your butt to honor as many MS3/4 rotations as possible, they are much more important than your preclinical grades.

That USMLE score will not bar you from most programs. The highest rumored Step 1 cutoff I've heard was the Barrow at ~220. A 231 will get your application read at every program in the country, and then it will be up to your other strengths to make the case for granting you an interview. Bust your butt to honor as many MS3/4 rotations as possible, they are much more important than your preclinical grades.

UMD has a 230 interview cutoff (atleast for the 2010 match). It has made a few exceptions to the rule, though.