Resigned from residency, would appreciate some advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1174046

Original post has been removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re telling the whole story (that’s a big if, because like you said it takes a lot to fire a resident and none of what you reported is close to fireable), you’ve done a disservice to yourself by resigning. Your best bet to salvage your career at this point is to lawyer up and sue them; a different neurosurgery program is not going to take you in. You could definitely get into an unappealing primary care program somewhere if you just want to continue medicine in general, but suing your program is the only way you’re getting back into neurosurgery. And it’s not a sure-fire thing that will succeed.

If by some stroke of fate you get your job back, don’t talk about anything non-medical to a single person. Don’t tell a single joke. Don’t flirt with the damn nurses (seriously poor judgement on your part). Don’t even go have a beer with a colleague after work. Show up, shut up, and work. Then if/when you graduate, get the hell out of there and start your attending career somewhere far away from that place.

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re telling the whole story (that’s a big if, because like you said it takes a lot to fire a resident and none of what you reported is close to fireable), you’ve done a disservice to yourself by resigning. Your best bet to salvage your career at this point is to lawyer up and sue them; a different neurosurgery program is not going to take you in. You could definitely get into an unappealing primary care program somewhere if you just want to continue medicine in general, but suing your program is the only way you’re getting back into neurosurgery. And it’s not a sure-fire thing that will succeed.

If by some stroke of fate you get your job back, don’t talk about anything non-medical to a single person. Don’t tell a single joke. Don’t flirt with the damn nurses (seriously poor judgement on your part). Don’t even go have a beer with a colleague after work. Show up, shut up, and work. Then if/when you graduate, get the hell out of there and start your attending career somewhere far away from that place.
Spot on! I had several peers, seniors, attendings and mid-levels making extremely ridiculous jokes at times be it cultural, religious or political but no newbies would resort to such actions for obvious reasons, only those who've been with the program for over an year or two. Some of our surgical depts were infamous for being rude and cocky with cases of outbursts for valid reasons. Dating was all over the place with several rumored inter-racial hookups but no issue ever escalated to the point remotely close to yours

@yjhamade I believe the forum members can better help you can reveal the actual underlying reason (assuming there is one)

Members don't see this ad :)
Let us know how it goes with the new programs. If you feel you have any deficiencies, try to address those. From what you wrote, I would suggest trying to control your anger, tell fewer jokes at work, and not mixing romance with work.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll keep pushing forward. It's gonna be tough.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll keep pushing forward. It's gonna be tough.
Though everyone in this thread would die of curiosity, I suggest limiting posting about this. You have probably already posted too much information. You would likely be very easy to identify.

Though everyone in this thread would die of curiosity, I suggest limiting posting about this. You have probably already posted too much information. You would likely be very easy to identify.
You’re right, I removed the post. thank you for the heads up

I read the original post before it got deleted. I'm leaning towards the idea that your chance at completing a neurosurgery residency is very low.

You shouldn't have resigned and should have forced the program to go through a formal process to try to get rid of you. By resigning without anything lined up, you screwed yourself up.

Unfortunately the original post was deleted but it contained a lot of information on what not to do, as a physician. For the residents/soon to be attendings:

-Yelling and screaming at subordinates or support staff doesn't fly. You can show your displeasure but it has to be in a calm and rational manner. If you are truly pi$$ed, follow the appropriate protocols to make complaints.

All it takes is a formal complaint against you and this can quickly make it's way to the department chair, CMO, med exec committee. If it's bad enough you will be reprimanded and forced to go to the physician wellness committee and complete some type of anger management. This could get reported to the medical board and can follow you if you apply for privileges at another hospital.

-Don't $hit where you eat. Really dumb. Most relationships crash and burn. Marriages even have a 50% divorce rate. Why create drama like this?

Also, if you asked me whether I would want a excellent scrub tech who knew my cases inside out or be in a relationship with said scrub tech with a chance it could end poorly and they no longer do my cases, I'm choosing the former every single time. Good scrubs are worth a lot...

Also, as a physician, you are considered to be in a position of power at the hospital. I know it doesn't feel that way often but that is the party line. Getting in a relationship with ancillary staff is not a good look.

I have heard of some stories of sexual harassment from one of the physicians at the hospital I function out of. It went to the med exec committee and became a whole big thing. Physician was on staff ( not hospital employed).

Your best bet is to print off every email and copy every written document you can find and find yourself a good lawyer. Since the original post has been deleted, I will close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.